NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

CAUTION QUICK FUEL CARB

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CAUTION QUICK FUEL CARB
    Posted: March-25-2014 at 11:28pm
Do not trust their ground wire. I hooked it up and was getting spark at the throttle linkage.
probably would not of found it if I was not playing with it in the dark.
This is a huge problem. I hooked up my ground and spark went away.
Lakedog55
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:01pm
That was my plan anyways. Probably should contact tec.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:02pm
Ground wire? Im confused. Is this for the choke?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:08pm
QF comes with a pre grounded ground wire Tim. One wire choke hook up is what they advertise.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:20pm
Ah. So the choke is pre-grounded to the carb body, so you just need to add a single 12v ignition wire for the choke?

I would imagine its pretty common for a QF to be bolted to an aluminum intake, but cant think of what else would cause an issue that would be solved with a dedicated ground?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:30pm
Not a QF, but a new out of the box carb. Should it be grounded some place else as it is mounted to an aluminum intake?
hotboat View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotboat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:33pm
oops
Brian
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:48pm
I hate to be dumb but wouldn't the carb already be grounded through the bolts to the block? Maybe the initial ground isn't 100%?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:51pm
I prefer running ground wires to known good ground sources as opposed to grounding everything in every place it needs it.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

I hate to be dumb but wouldn't the carb already be grounded through the bolts to the block? Maybe the initial ground isn't 100%?

Aluminum isnt a great conductor. The path would be:

choke-->carb body-->intake bolt or stud-->alumimum intake-->intake bolt-->head-->head bolt-->block

If the problem is in the ground path, then the aluminum intake would be my guess at the cause- but I cant imagine bolting to an AL intake wasnt a consideration.
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 4:24pm
Aluminum is a great conductor! Just not as good as copper or gold but better than an iron engine block. The resistance of aluminum is 21.2 ohms per 1,000 feet vs 85.7 for iron. But as mentioned always run a dedicated ground. QF should've recommended a dedicated ground. Almost trailer light issues would be solved if we didn't ground to the frame.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 4:58pm
I never gave it much thought, but grounding something right next to the fuel line doesn't seem right. We'll be changing that.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 11:43pm
Talked to a tech up their , he said he had heard of the problem before and said he would pass the information to the warning label person. Not sure that's the best solution. Personally I would do away with the pre wire ground and put some instructions with it. The spark it was throwing scared me and I do some dumb stuff.
Lakedog55
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-26-2014 at 11:58pm
Back in the 80s a lot of houses used aluminum wire.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 12:05am
That's for sure. And a lot of them burned down. Something about the way they transmit. It would loosen the lugs at the meter and start arcing. Power lines are aluminum
Lakedog55
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 1:05am
That was a good eye lakedog, no doubt could've been disastrous. Since its a new engine maybe there was paint insulating the bolt holes a bit much?

I'm surprised as to the number of carbs that don't have silicone dabbed on the terminals of the electric choke bc that can spark very easily too. I had a local Nau***ue dealer install a carb and didn't dab the choke and I about came unglued.

Aluminum wires are the best thing out there. Every transmission line in the US and most of the world is AL. Banned in houses in '76 with the exception to 8ga and larger. Problem with Aluminum is not the aluminum but the unskilled people playing with it. AL expands and contracts greater than most metals which creates loose connections if improper steps were taken and heat is the end result. Special procedures and devices are required for aluminum. I believe the country should stop paying 10x the cost for copper, install AL and EDUCATE a worker into an Electrician with the $ saved.
storm34 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote storm34 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 1:52pm
Yikes! Thanks for the note.

We're going to try a QF 600 on my Tique this spring. I'll be sure to check this out.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 2:11pm
Carb seems fantastic besides that. So far only couple hours on it but only adjustment i have done is idle screw and ground wire.
Lakedog55
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 2:52pm
Solid. How about the choke and opening rate of the secondaries? Seem good?
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 3:58pm
Choke is good. Usually stays running on second start when cold. Motor is so different now I can't be for sure might be coming in a touch late at about 3600rpm she gets a second wind.
Lakedog55
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 7:00pm
I like the ability to fine tune the secondary rate without switching out springs and such.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 7:17pm
I have not checked into adjusting secondaries yer.
Lakedog55
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 9:25pm
Originally posted by Orlando76 Orlando76 wrote:

That was a good eye lakedog, no doubt could've been disastrous. Since its a new engine maybe there was paint insulating the bolt holes a bit much?

I'm surprised as to the number of carbs that don't have silicone dabbed on the terminals of the electric choke bc that can spark very easily too. I had a local Nau***ue dealer install a carb and didn't dab the choke and I about came unglued.

Aluminum wires are the best thing out there. Every transmission line in the US and most of the world is AL. Banned in houses in '76 with the exception to 8ga and larger. Problem with Aluminum is not the aluminum but the unskilled people playing with it. AL expands and contracts greater than most metals which creates loose connections if improper steps were taken and heat is the end result. Special procedures and devices are required for aluminum. I believe the country should stop paying 10x the cost for copper, install AL and EDUCATE a worker into an Electrician with the $ saved.

Todd,
I'm glad you are so well versed in the NEC.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-27-2014 at 9:39pm
Shoot I oughta be.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic