NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Oil pan /pump interchangeable?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Oil pan /pump interchangeable?
    Posted: April-11-2014 at 9:40am
Sorry about the multiple post but I figure a new topic was in order. I got the excalibur chevy for a repower and 2 blocks before drop off the driver had to lock up his brakes because the person in front decided she needed to go left. So my engine broke loose and smashed the oil pan . Will an automotive oil pan work ? Will a automotive pick up work ? The cost is a fraction of marine . 40$ vs 240
Thanks
Dan
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 12:24pm
An auto pan will work but you have to make sure that everything fits good and will then fit in the boat. Clearances to hull might be an issue. Oil pump pickup clearance will definitely need to be checked and verified.

On older SBC's the marine pans were an extra qt. capacity and the drain plug was on the centerline of the pan and not on the side. Not sure about the newer Excal/Apex pans.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 12:53pm
The pickup has to be compatible with the pan I’ve got a couple sbc’s in parts.
If the pickup is pressed in the pump it’s a good idea to tack weld it so it stays put.
Where are you in NC? I’m close to New Bern. If you’re going to White Lake, I could bring some parts.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 1:20pm
Thats kinda what I thought . I have not opened it just got it yesterday and have been filing with insurance . Not sure where the pick up is but the drain is in the center. The engine is sitting on the drain (leaking) . The drain is pushed up about 1.5-2" into the oil pan so I guess the pick up is bent not sure. I appreciate the help . I trying figure out what the insurance wants to do (I insured it for 2500) so repair for sure . I will get back to you for sure I am just east of Asheville and do not plan to go to White lake as of now but we will see.
thanks Again
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2014 at 10:10pm
Dan,
What broke loose? Was it in the boat or in the back of your truck? Ether way I'm sorry to hear about the mishap.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 4:13pm
It was on the transfer truck got all the way here and right before delivery the driver had to lock up gis brakes. The place where I had it delivered accepted it as damaged. So I bought the extra insurance and i still have the old 2001 so all is good just a little heart broken seeing it laying on its belly. Not sure if the insurance company wants to pay the shop or write me check.. The wait begins. A used pan could save some $. I guess things will be better with a new oil pump and and pick up . the engine has 2000 hours new cam chain ???
thanks
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 5:33pm
Originally posted by malibud malibud wrote:

the engine has 2000 hours new cam chain ???
thanks

I'm lost, you bought a used engine with 2000 hrs on it??? It has a new cam chain or you want to replace it???
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 6:06pm
Used engine has 1900 hrs. looks good. spark plugs good and golden brown. compression within spec. new manifolds, The Cam Chain has never been replaced and the engine is out of a 2003 nautique. should I have it replaced or wait till it starts slapping around (if ever) sorry about lack of info
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 6:20pm
Got it. If it was mine I'd R&R the cam chain with a good double roller.
Since the engine is out and the pan needs to be replaced. I'd pull the bearing caps and check the main and rod bearings. 1900 hrs fresh bearings = no brainer.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 7:16pm
Got it . Big Thanks Water Dog. So any good automotive cam Chain for a 2003 5.7 motor any suggestions ?
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 11:29pm
Get a double rolled timing set. you'll get a chain, crank gear & cam gear.
Lots of good ones Melling, Craine, Jegs the double roller style will out last everything else in the engine.
To re-install the timing cover I like to use Hi-Tack gasket sealant on the paper gaskets and use BLACK rtv at the timing cover / oil pan joint. The blue "ultra" rtv will swell in contact with oil(very common mistake)   

If you want to change the main/rod bearings remove one cap each. The bearing will be marked with the size (on the cap side) It may say std./.010/.020 that's the size the crank is ground to. It's common for the mains & rods to be different. Buy the same size and replace one at a time. One half will come right out of the cap and CAREFULLY spin the other half off the crank.
The hardest is the thrust bearing
(#3 i think) its thick from front to back and controls crank end play.

Hope I didn't scare ya.

Once you do one you'll get the hang of it.

- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2014 at 11:36pm
I am learning. I have done cam chain but it was in my old carbed 351 and had a buddy helping. for the bearings I am going to let the shop take a look at it. I cannot be held responsible. Thanks for the info always very interesting
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic