Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

EST Distributor

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: EST Distributor
    Posted: April-14-2014 at 6:57am
So here's a deep one...

When summarizing, I cleaned the rotor and cap on the distributor (2005, 5.7l Indmar). I noticed that the distributor shaft is pretty corroded where the rotor presses on to it. I mean...really corroded. So, I spend several hours Googling for replacement shafts. No luck.

So, next I start Googling for the whole distributor. That's where things got interesting. The marine EST distributor looks identical to the car "vortec" model. I absolutely can't tell the difference looking at the pics. The car distributor can be found for $69, while the marine is $300.

Anybody know what the difference is?? If there is some difference in the cap or such, can I swap the car shaft into the marine distributor?

oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 11:04am
If they were side by side you would probably see they are vented differently,module marine specific ? Other than that probably identical.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 12:48pm
What kind of corrosion are you talking about? Caked, rusted crap or a greenish or white powder on everything? Is this causing an issue with firing?

The shaft can be cleaned up pretty easily. Take a little carb cleaner or brakekleen on a toothbrush or something similar, remove the rotor and do a little bit of judicitious scrubbing. Take a shop rag and shield the backside of the distributor with your free hand to prevent crap from flying all over the engine. Then a few puffs with a little compressed air (again with the shop rag shielding the backside) to finish everything off. Repeat if necessary.

I have an MSD disttributor and about once a year I take the cap and rotor off and have to clean the inside of the distributor and the shaft all around the mag pickup. It gets a greenish powdery corrosion all over it like that.
Theory says the ionizing gases or ozone present in a distributor cap is highly corrosive and mated with the high speed spinning rotor, high voltage, resistance, capacitance, inductive reactance, electrolisys (and other high tech, electrical engineering specific terms) can be a perfect prescription for corrosion. Add in a damp atmoshere and/or vented corrosive gases from the engine oil sump (via the PCV or even the distributor shaft itself) and...well you know where this going.

Supposedly, venting the cap by drilling holes in it will prevent this but a marine distributor is vented and screened already to act as a flash arrestor. High performance auto buffs can drill holes in the cap without being screened but doing that in a marine environment can at some point in time bring new meaning to the term "big bang theory". I wouldn't recommend that.
The base of the distributor should have a screen or two in it that may have been corroded to the point it's plugged up and not venting as it should. If so, clean that out as I stated above. Maybe faulty or worn plug wires or spark plugs are causing excessive spark reactance in the cap magnifying the problem. Is the ignition module gap properly set from the pickups in the distributor shaft?

If it hasn't gotten to the point of causing misfires, clean it and makes sure the vent screen is clean and make sure the plugs and plug wires are all good. Verify the gap of the mag pickups from the module.

You should not have to be replacing the distributor because of this IMHO.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Cjd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cjd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-14-2014 at 3:17pm
Thanks, Oldcuda & Backfoot.

The boat is 10 years old, and only has 120 hours. The corrosion is the flaky red rust, on the bare steel shaft under the press down plastic rotor, so my guess is it is from water condensation from sitting so much. I cleaned it like you recommended, but it's bad enough that I worry it affects the way the rotor sits on the shaft...although the boat is running fine as it is. I wiped down the shaft with LPS3, which should keep it from corroding any more. It's not on my "immediate" list to fix, but is something I should address in the next season or so.

The rest of the distributor is like new...no green dust. Whatever the differences are between the car and marine distributors, I would be surprised if the shaft is one of them. For $69 vs $300, it may be worth the gamble to get one and see. I was just hoping somebody out there knew.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic