Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Obsolete part help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Obsolete part help
    Posted: April-15-2014 at 11:29am
I have a 1975 Mustang and the thermostat housing has corroded and needs to be replaced. Since this part is no longer available, what have peeps done to update their cooling systems?
The part I need is OMC 383323 casting number 314826. It is a 5 hose system. It is the bottom half of this unit here.
Thanks!

MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 11:55am
   E-Bay Item

Looks a little rough... Might have to make him an offer
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:03pm
Not cheap...I'd rather update the system...Ideas??
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:07pm
Here's one on eBay for $150.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
ny_nautique View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ny_nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:07pm
Oops... guess I had this tab open for a while.
- Jeff
1999 Ski Nautique
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:27pm
I think updating the system would be pretty difficult, you would need an entire marinzation package from mercruiser or pcm for a small block chevy... one could put a zero on the back of that 150 pretty quick trying to piece that together. The biggest issue is that your current omc manifolds dont flow like a modern in the front out the back setup. The modern systems are simplier but not necessarily better than the super complicated omc or chrysler setups... how bad is your piece, it is possible a machine shop could make something happen for you. That being said, people scrap and part these motors out from time to time so your casting is out there somewhere about to be junked for a few cents a pound you just need to find it.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:31pm
If youve got a nice, original engine, I'd grab that OMC housing and swap it out. It'll still be cheaper than converting to a new style. The OMC system works fine and looks appropriate on an original, vintage engine.

That said, we converted most of our OMC 454 cooling system to a newer PCM style. Our housing was in rough shape, most of the other original OMC parts had already been swapped out and the engine is significantly modified- so we figured a more modern cooling system was a no-brainer. SkiDIM carries the parts you need- a new Chevy thermostat housing will work on your engine. Expect to replace most of the cooling hoses (sizes and lengths wont line up from your OMC), as well as the thermostat. Not a cheap "upgrade".
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:33pm
I just happen to have a good housing from a 1975 OMC 302.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 12:37pm
I think we're all assuming that the engine in question is a 307/305 Chevy, as CC never used OMC Fords that I know of. But that would be a good thing to confirm before we get carried away!

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:13pm
Yes, it is a 307 RH (225HP) motor with OSCO manifolds. I will try to wire wheel, JB Weld and seal my old housing..

As you can see, I've done a lot of work on the ol' girl..

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 1:51pm
I still think you can swap housings if you really want to without the $1500 pricetag Joe was implying... Hoses, clamps, thermostat and gaskets should be the only other pieces required.

Looks like Nautolex on the floor? Have you test fit the motorbox yet? Looks like the exhaust pockets are pretty darn wide- CC tapered them narrower towards the front so that the motorbox covered them. Hope you dont end up with visible holes when its reinstalled!

Add your location to your profile when you get a chance.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 3:55pm
It is Nautolex....good stuff. I widened the exhaust channels to make more room for centek mufflers. I added angled aluminum to the outside edge and turned up the left over nautolex: all is good. My wife hated the original copper tube exhaust because of the noise. I personally liked it, but you know wives.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by MustangMadness MustangMadness wrote:

I will try to wire wheel, JB Weld and seal my old housing.

This would be my first option as well but blast it rather than wire using the wire wheel. I would also consider using ANYTHING besides JB. It's formulated for the homeowner garage mechanic so it's junk! Go professional with something like a Lord epoxy. Even a Devcon product is better than that JB C**p

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-17-2014 at 5:32pm
Thanks for the input guys. I will keep you posted as to results..

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 11:27am
I ended up buying a decent used one on eBay and repairing it as I mentioned earlier. I think it should last a while...I hope. My original is flaking badly, the used one looks pretty good ($85).

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-18-2014 at 8:59pm
Terry,
It looks good at this point but it does look like you went the JB weld route. I hope it holds up for you since you didn't take my recommendation. Repairs do not always involve getting your supplies from Home Depot or Menards!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-19-2014 at 5:28pm
Pete,
Just because I did not take your advice, it does not mean I do not appreciate your input: I certainly do. I have used JB many times before and have had exceptional luck with it. I figured with this exterior repair and clamped under a hose, it should work well.
Regards and come-on Spring!

Here's a pic I took today. As you can see, I replaced the original s*&$$y kickboards with ash, and eventually I will do the dash to match.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic