NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

neutral safety switch

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: neutral safety switch
    Posted: April-14-2014 at 7:21pm
Just fitted a new one from skidim, but noticed that with trans in neutral the hole where the switch is located isn't in the middle.
Should it be?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 3:56pm
Anyone?
Thanks
'82 Ski Tique
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:41pm
I assume it should be? Never really looked down that barrel before.
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 4:56pm
How does the switch work: continuity through switch when button pushed in or released? See if there is another detent visible when trans is in reverse.
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 6:57pm
Graham, that three bolt flange will rotate to three positions. My boat isn't here so I cant take a pic. Just be careful bolting it back on. That disc you are looking at breaks easy. (I know) There are several features on that disc besides the oval one in your pic. Look at it while you cycle the shift lever.
Pretty sure the switch is normally closed but not 100% sure.
Eric????
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 9:54pm
Pulled the switch out of 72c and was in middle when in neutral.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2014 at 10:39pm
Graham,
Have you downloaded the Velvet drive manual off the site? It has a very good explanation on the NSS and it's install.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2014 at 4:40pm
Great muchos thanks for all the advice shall check out the manual and look at adjusting it
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 8:10pm
It turns out the throttle cable bracket was mounted way out.
Have now adjusted it so that both the trans and throttle lever are in neutral at the same time. This now also applies for reverse gear, however.. when shifting to forward gear the trans lever sits only 4/5ths in to position then stops - it then clicks in place once the morse lever is moved further forward when opening up the carb.
Is this typical or should I be concerned about potentially burning out the clutch plate due to the motor revving before being 100% in gear.

Hoping that makes sense - I have had a beer or few!
'82 Ski Tique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 8:58pm
Graham,
More adjustment is needed. The trans should shift into gear before the throttle advances. Alan (81 nautique) has a fantastic and simple "how to" thread on the adjustment. D a google search for the thread.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-04-2014 at 9:15pm
Ok thanks

http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=26919

So it looks like I need to detach the cable from the carb, I never tried that..
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:34am
Still not working should there be movement if you pull on the shift selector cable, there is on mine which results in no movement of the throttle lever. Although the cable seems responsive when moving throttle lever
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 2:04pm
Tried to upload a video but unable with phone
'82 Ski Tique
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 2:57pm
Yes the shift cable has to engage trans fully before activating throttle.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 5:16pm
Should there be play in it at trans end?
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 5:21pm

Click to see video ^^
'82 Ski Tique
boardersdad View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote boardersdad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:10pm
Graham, thanks for documenting all of this as you go. We did the cable adjustment late last season but still had problems with the NSS, so I am extremely interested in what you determine to be your problem.

Steve
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:44pm
Graham, That doesn't look right. The cable shouldn't have play in it. Check to make sure it (outer jacket of cable) is firmly placed in the bracket at transmission. Then check the same thing on the other end at the Morse controller. Off hand it seems your cable is bad.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-05-2014 at 11:54pm
Graham, that play looks pretty normal to me.You would adjust the length so this play is the middle of slop at neutral. Do me a favor and pull out the neutral button on the control. Move the throttle then and see which cable is moving. Maybe you have them swapped?
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 1:00am
By no means the correct technical fix, but for what it's worth:

My 75 century has a green neutral light that doesn't always light, a little rattle on the throttle & the light comes on and it fires right up. Been this way since I was a kid, no big deal.

My 74 SWind also has occasional NSS issues. Morfoot was kind enough to help adjust a few years back but occasionally it does not behave.
I've learned it always occurs if the last throttle movement was reverse, then neutral, as in any docking procedure. A quick tap into forward before shutting it off and when restarting it fires up every time.

Fixable linkage/cable issues I'm sure, but with two 40 year old boats I try not to sweat the small stuff....

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 6:37pm
As always thanks for the comments.
After sleeping on it I've now pulled the morse control to find nothing out of the ordinary - other than the fact that the cable arm had been cut down by a PO (which I forgot about, photos here: http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=30103&title=morse-control ) but the cable is still connected to the same location on the morse control as I have seen on other boats on CCF.

However, I seem to have gotten around the problem by removing the adapter plate on the trans gear selector and attaching the cable directly to it - would be very interested to see whether anyone else has it set up this way?
Ive been quite aggressive with the throttle lever and it seems pretty stable, with the NSS functioning as it should, just hoping that it all works ok
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 6:43pm
'82 Ski Tique
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 8:52pm
You need to put the plate back on... Its never changed in 6 years as the set up is the same in my 88'.By taking it out of the system you are going to have rigging issues from the morse and the carb as your changing everything byt moving the end down where you have it.

I've never had an issue with a dirty neutral. Only time I have ever rigged it was when the damper plate blew up and I sent the trans to Eric Lavine (where is that guy anyway)for a rebuild. When I got it back, I reinstalled it and think I had to turn the nut on the cable end two turns to get it aligned perfectly. Haven't touched it in 5 years.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 9:54pm
Don't forget to check the cable end brass pivots. They are a know wear point.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-06-2014 at 10:45pm
Graham,
   I didn't know a bracket existed until last week when Southeast serviced my boat and they said "don't worry about it until it gives you a problem." If it's not giving me a problem now then when will it?   Funny thing is my dad's SN is missing the same bracket and the only ones who ever serviced it was Southeast. I'm guessing they lost it 10+ years ago when the last cables were installed. If it doesn't bother you to not use, I'd just keep it in the tool box.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 3:48am
Tbh Im thinking the same as dont know what option I have other than to leave it as is - the strange thing is that by using the bracket and therefore top location hole not only is the forward shift travel not long enough but also the cable is then bent upwards at an angle
'82 Ski Tique
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 3:51am
Wow comparing the 2 above photos my cable is at a much steeper angle, different boat I'm sure but still..
'82 Ski Tique
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 9:49am
All that bracket does is tweak the geometry between the bracket that holds the cable firm and the trans shift lever. It moves the pivot 1/4" left, incrementally rearward, and makes the angle from the bracket shallower. The same changes could be made by adjusting or bending the (firm) bracket. It helps with the fine tuning but it's not necessary- it doesn't affect throw since the moment arm is the same length... So the morse won't care if it's there or not.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 10:22am
Never seen that bracket. Mine is configured just like Grahams. But I scabbed the whole thing together from spare parts so go figure. And I think the control handle arm is hacked off at the factory. Mine is and I have seen pics on here of other peoples controls and they are all cut.
gR@HaM View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gR@HaM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-07-2014 at 2:55pm
Woo! That's one more thing to cross off the list
Just need to sort fuel sender, carpet and finish upholstery then I'm pretty much there

.. Famous last words...
'82 Ski Tique
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic