Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Water in oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
newguy1986 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Water in oil
    Posted: June-13-2014 at 10:59pm
All,

I have been battling water in my oil and can't find the problem. Need other sugestions.

Had heads checked. They were cracked so I put gt 40 heads on. Completely rebuilt

Intake checked out fine.

Obviously a complete gasket kit was used during rebuild. And it starts great. First bump. Checked all the plugs and none have any sign of water

Can some one please help?
1986sn 2001
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 11:14pm
Are those equipped with oil coolers? Never had a Ford powered boat so don't know.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-13-2014 at 11:21pm
No not that I am aware of. 1986 ski nautique 351w

Compression test results

1- 120
2 - 118
3 - 118
4 - 122
5 - 120
6- 105
7 - 105
8 - 120
1986sn 2001
Nautiquehunter View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nautiquehunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-14-2014 at 2:21am
Did it freeze? Did you check the exhaust manifolds? If thats not it you may have internal cracks in the block.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-15-2014 at 11:09am
Those numbers are a bit low . I think you need a 100 to run. My block cracked between the cylinders so it was easy to see. Is that reverse rotation engine?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 11:14am
yes it is reverse rotation

Is there any other way for water to be getting in? Im racking my brain but i keep getting to a cracked block.
1986sn 2001
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 4:40pm
For grins & giggles I would plug all water ports & pressureize the water circuit to 15 PSI.   Maybe you could hear where the leak is with a stethoscope. You may have to do this hot, but that state won't be hard to get to with the water off!
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 6:51pm
Did you inspect the plate behind the water pump?
Tim D
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 8:08pm

When I bought my 86 Silver Nautique I knew it had water in the oil.
I changed the exhaust manifolds (they were momicked)It ran fine for a few hours and I thought it was fixed. We went out for a long ride and it was full of water when we got back to the dock.
The block was cracked along the cam journals 6in or so it was very hard to find and only leaked when fully warmed up.

1) The intake can crack under the t-stat
2) Heads
3) Block
4) Exhaust manifolds

5) We made a list before for water in oil.
    There's more but I'm drawing a blank.
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote newguy1986 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 9:06pm
Not sure what you are referring to with the plate behind the water pump. Can you explain that one?

I have replaced the heads

Intake has been verified by a great machine shop

Exhaust manifolds were blown out and cleared of any blockage but I will for sure check. These again. Any other way other than connecting a water hose to them and watching for water out the exhaust ports?

Block - I'm about 95 percent sure this is the issue. Thoughts?
1986sn 2001
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 10:27pm
Were the Head Bolts installed with sealant on the threads? The bolts go straight into the coolant. New Head bolts would come with sealant on them, used bolts can be used but would need new sealant added on the threads.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-17-2014 at 10:32pm
Each head gasket should have FRONT stamped in the gasket and you locate the Front stamping at the front of the engine, away from the flywheel or flex plate. They can be reversed. The same gasket is used on both sides so one side the stamp will lay on the block but Front is still at the front of the engine, the other side the stamp will be up facing the head. Most also have a tab that can be seen on the front of the head, it extends out on the front of the block so you can see it to verify the gasket is on correctly.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-18-2014 at 11:51am
The part between the water pump and timing chain.
Tim D
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic