Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

electronic distributer help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lx.crowell View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lx.crowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: electronic distributer help
    Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:08am
I have a 1974 southwind with a 351w right hand rotation motor. I bought a new pertronix electronic distriutor for the motor not realizing that it was for a left hand rotation motor. Can i just swap the gear on this distributor and have it run the correct way? Will the electronic's in the distributor work this way. Any advice is helpful.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:16am
You had better let someone else confirm but I believe the units are the same the difference is in the gear use your one with the new distributor . It's been a while since I changed mine .
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:16am
You could if the shaft size is the same. The best advice is to return it and get your money back. There are better choices.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lx.crowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:20am
Thank you both i bought it from a distributor and due to the fact that it is an electrically unit they won't take it back so if the electronics will work i have a gear that will fit the shaft.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:24am
It is the same except for the gear as stated above, the gear does need to end up in the right spot though or you can damage the cam or the distributor. If your gear is still in good shape then reusing it is better than trying a new gear of unknown quality, but be careful .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:25am
Unless you can convince them they sold you the wrong one since it won't fit
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lx.crowell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2014 at 11:34am
Gary S I've already tried that angle with no luck and JoeinNY it was a brand new gear last year because pulled the distributor and when i puled it out the gear broke in half, i'm lucky that it broke on the bench and not in the motor. Thanks for the help.
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2014 at 10:20am
Measure from the center of the distributor gear to the surface that mates with the intake before removal of the current gear (LH rotation gear). When you install the RH rotation gear make sure the measurement agrees within 1/32" (.032"). If it does, you should be in good shape.

Also, it wouldn't hurt to count the number of teeth on the old and new gear to make sure they agree.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic