NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

exhaust manifolds seem hotter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: exhaust manifolds seem hotter
    Posted: July-15-2014 at 9:26pm
Hi,
Guys 351w, cam intake and gt 40 heads, not sure but finally started running the boat a little harder noticed more steam out the back than i remember. manifolds seem a bit hotter, i can put my hand on them but not for long. Temp is running a tick under 160, and after hard run and return to idle will go up to 170 then fall back to under 160.

Still have an annoying stumble on really slow take offs. basically I have to make it do it. quickfuel 600 marine carb with dui dist. Tuned and timed and tuned and timed again. Put a bigger sprayer in front no help. also cant seem to get secondaries to open right. i can still feel them coming in at around 3500rpm. feels like i hit the juice. And a funny whistling noise when i back off gas at high rpms. Vacum? not enough air?

Other than that runs great, burns more gas than stock. but a lot of that is me messing around with it.
Mike
Lakedog55
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 8:20am
Takes more gas to make more Hp.

Temps don't sound out of line, if the raw water pump is good and you tightened every hose clamp good with a socket I wouldn't worry. My temps go up some in the summer when the water gets above 80, just like they drop a little in the winter when the water cools off below 60.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 1:52pm
Perhaps you're just paying closer attention to things now?
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 1:57pm
Mike,
You are talking about the exhaust manifold temp while it's running right? Not after shutting it down?

Also, you didn't change out the gauge or the sender did you?
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 2:20pm
They will creep up in temp after shutdown. Probably just keeping better eye on stuff.
We have the liquid sunshine today. I guess my concern would be I put exhaust gaskets on wrong but I think they would be way hot.
Lakedog55
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by lakedog55 lakedog55 wrote:

I guess my concern would be I put exhaust gaskets on wrong but I think they would be way hot.

That could be possible Mike. I know when I changed mine 2 years ago (exhaust leak and wanted to freshen up the paint) I noticed that the previous owner had the riser gaskets on Backwards. My temps were running about what you're reporting before I installed them correctly. I had always keep my eye on that temp gage but now am not too worried as the temps run in the 150-160 range in cooler water and a little hotter when the lake is bath water.

"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 2:37pm
I did not take apart the manifolds. So riser gasket would be same as before.

thanks guys
Eddie you passing through lake weir anytime soon.
Lakedog55
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 2:39pm
You can confirm proper riser gasket orientation without disassembly. The gasket has a tab, the shape is not symmetrical front to back. As long as it matches the profile of the riser it is correct.
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 2:47pm
Thanks Hollywood
it's possible they have been wrong for a while. So this tab should it be on the front or side? Or not visible if correct?
Lakedog55
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 3:32pm
Yes and yes
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 3:53pm

thanks guys
Eddie you passing through lake weir anytime soon.

Not that I'm planning on Mike. I could arrange for it if you need something though. Just let me know.
When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2014 at 7:08pm
No I think I will be okay eddie, I do need to find someone to ski with?
got a few kids but no driver. Lisa tries to kill me everytime, but I still give it a shot.
Lakedog55
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 10:25am

They will creep up in temp after shutdown.

Creeping up in temp after shutdown is normal. The water circulation has stopped. Mine get so hot you can't touch them after you shut down. The concern is if they get hot while running. You should be able to hold your hand on them and be perfectly comfortable as long as the engine is running.

No I think I will be okay eddie, I do need to find someone to ski with?
got a few kids but no driver. Lisa tries to kill me everytime, but I still give it a shot.

Geez, that's an easy one Mike. I'll be happy to come up there or you guys come down here and we can have some driving lessons. We won't tell Lisa it 's driving lessons though.
Women seem to take instruction a lot better from anybody other then their spouse when it comes to boat driving. Ask me how I know that.

Let me know if you want to arrange for something. I'll be happy to try and help.

Eddie
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 11:36am
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Women seem to take instruction a lot better from anybody other then their spouse when it comes to boat driving.

+1 on that and it doesn't just apply to driving a Boat.
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
kytom2 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kytom2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 11:41am
Nope, I ain't going to say it. It's too easy!
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 12:29pm
Thanks
we will have to set up something.
Lakedog55
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic