NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

95 SuperSport Engine Question

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 95 SuperSport Engine Question
    Posted: July-28-2014 at 3:12pm
Ok so I have done a lot of research on my problem but now I think I may have done that for nothing.

First question is does the GT40 I have, have an FCC, I thought it did but after looking a little deeper it seems it may not as in 95 I may have a different GT40 than 96+.

Now to the problem

The boat has started to stutter/hesitate after it gets warm. It could take an hour or maybe even 4 hours for it to happen but it does happen. The boat takes off normal and then around 12-14 mph it will hesitate like it isn't getting fuel or enough power to get on plane. If it does get on plane it stops hesitating until I take off again. After trying to plane a few times it will not even get over 12-14 mph.The RPMs do jump a little during the hesitation.

So most of the research I did revolved around the FCC, the hose inside the FCC, etc as a good culprit. I have checked the filter and anti siphon valve. They seem to be ok.

I just do not want to start throwing parts at this if someone else has experienced it and can help me.

Thanks

gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:39am
No FCC on a '95
When was the last time you did a complete tune up?
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:43am
It was done before I purchased it, I have had it for 1.5 years.

I was thinking about doing one just in case it was not done. Cap, rotor, plugs, and wires.

I pulled a few plugs and the looked pretty good. Does it seem more electrical than fuel?
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:43am
I agree on the complete tune up – while it doesn’t have an fcc this could still be a fuel supply related issue, either the low pressure fuel pump or the fuel pump relay would be my first look.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:52am
I was going to change both relays as well since they are only 15$ a piece.

I may just do it all one part at a time and see what fixes it, that way I know and can let others know as well. I have not ran across this problem on any other searches.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:52am
Quick question,

What plugs and wires are recommended for this motor?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 10:59am
Autolite 764

Plug wires have to come from a PCM dealer. IE me or any other PCM dealer.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2014 at 11:51am
I actually bought this boat from a guy up in Indianapolis. I will see if my local dealer has anything in stock for wires.

Also, i noticed that there are multiple options for Dist caps, do you know which one this is? I can check later this evening if not.

I will keep everyone posted on results.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 1:29pm
A little update, I changed the plugs and Dist cap/button and it is running a lot better. There is still a very small hesitation/stuttering when accelerating. Barely noticeable but since I know what I am looking for I feel it. I also tried the relays after that and there was no change. Just keeping them for spares.
Looks like I am going to do the wires next. Does this boat have a stator? Is it easy to change?   
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 1:43pm
It does have a stator, it's part of the distributor. I don't know how easy it is to change or if that's warranted.

How old is the fuel that you're running?

Also, yes, doing the spark plug wires too is a good idea.

burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 2:38pm
The fuel is good as I run the boat regularly. It has never really sat for a long time either. I ran some cleaners through it as well in case it was water or dirty.

I just ordered the wires and should have them tomorrow so I will check it out and update everyone by Thursday depending on the weather.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 9:19pm
since the stutter is still there, I think it would be prudent to put a fuel pressure gauge on and see if you have the correct fuel delivery pressure.   You may have the start of a weak fuel pump that was accentuated poor ignition condition.   
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 9:23am
It was bad again last night, wires still haven't shown up but should be here today. They were back ordered and I called around till I found them in stock.
I will get a gauge and check fuel pressure tonight also.

Here is a crappy video but you can see and hear what it is doing.
http://youtu.be/yIV4fJbrMk0
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 9:51am
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:14pm
Mine kinda did the same change out the relays since you have them . That's whAt. I did and all good now
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:19pm
I did change the relays with no change in performance.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:23pm
fuel filter . It just sounds fuel related .
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:34pm
I am testing the fuel pressure today when I get home. The filter seemed to be clean and flowing and the anti siphon valve seemed ok. Just hope it is not the pump(s) cause they do not seem cheap from some pricing I have seen.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 3:53pm
not cheap, but it is usually the low pressure pump... eventually it gives out all together and you know for sure.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 4:36pm
whats the proper way to test the pumps if pressure is messed up?

thanks for all the replies.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 4:45pm
Very stupid question for me, in Pic 2 is that one of the pumps?

In the last pic is the small black thing a pump as well? Or a type of filter?

Where is the LP pump if neither of those are it. Looking at diagrams and confusing myself.

Thanks
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:13pm
I think this is what you want:
http://www.nautiqueparts.com/fuelpumpelectric2stagefprpcmgt40engineswithoutfuelcontrolcell1995tomid1996.aspx

I'm sure Zach can hook you up, and you should double check anyway before ordering.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:20pm
Was that full throttle in your video?
If so I would stop the ignition checks and start testing the fuel pumps.
Your last pic is the low pressure pump.
Lewy posted this picture of how to jump the STO to ground which will turn on both pumps to check for proper operation.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:24pm
that was about 3/4 throttle. So the little black round dome one is the LP pump? I must be looking at the wrong diagram. Can you link me to that post?
going to start checking fuel and pumps tonight.
burban89 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote burban89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:25pm
The boat was weighted at the time so it was going a little slower. The day before we wakeboarded and was hardly any hesitation. Then last night it was back full hesitation so we dropped the weight and went home.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:56pm
I do know that 2nd picture is a pump that according to Zach at N3 Boatworks is getting hard to get. I would advise to call him for parts.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 6:03pm
I guess the one in the second is the high pressure pump then? Do the non-FCC boats still have a high and a low? I saw "two stage" in the description and got confused. Sorry for any misinformation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 6:11pm
The second picture is the high pressure and is hard piped the the fuel rails.
Here's a beter picture on the pumps plumbing

In this picture you can see the two hard lines from the pump to the fuel rails

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 7:04pm
Originally posted by burban89 burban89 wrote:

your low pressure pump is in the lower right of this picture, it looks like a canister with a line coming out the top. SKIDIM has them.   

you should have 40PSI IIRC at the fuel rail (high pressure pump), but the flow comes from the low pressure pump. hesitation sounds like a fuel delivery issue, when mine went, it would not suck fuel out of the tank, so the pressure was low, but registering. I took the line off at the TBI (94-95 only) and had no flow.   
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 7:27pm
There was a thread that someone posted with very similar problems ended up being a clogged screen or tank pickup tube in the tank.

After checking the pumps and pressure (which is easy way to start) then I would start at the tank pump/pickup and work forward.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic