NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dirty Bilge

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dirty Bilge
    Posted: July-15-2014 at 12:09am
I have a 2000 air nautique direct drive, gt-40 with @ 600 hours on it and have been chasing some fluid leaks in my bilge. This is my first inboard, I grew up with and i/o and am trying to learn the ropes. Here is a picture of the dex I find, in the same spot each time I run the boat(unfortunately only once a week). Check out the small drop next to the pump. So to help find where it was coming from I put 3 small plastic plates under the tranny. I missed the tranny drip, but caught some oil. I have no idea where this came from. I should mention I changed the oil back in May and the dip stick shows full each time I check it when I take it out. When I check the transmission fluid I think it shows full.
So after feeling around the bilge, I think the transmission leak is coming from the hose in the last picture. The hose is moist with dex especially close to the tranny end, I am not sure if this is how it should be or if the hose needs to be replaced. The boat runs great each time we take it out. Finally got the wife up to speed and she can pull me on the slalom    Just want to make sure if there is an issue I take care of it before it becomes a larger problem. Thanks,
TJ
TX Foilhead View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TX Foilhead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 1:47am
Red is tranny fluid, that hose is just a standard hydraulic hose and most any auto parts store should be able to make one.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-15-2014 at 1:32pm
Should the hose be damp with tranny fluid? Is this just a sign that the hose needs replacement?
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-17-2014 at 9:33am
Start by making sure all of the fittings are tight
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-20-2014 at 1:23pm
Finally made it to the boat today, fittings are tight. The hose itself seems to bleed transmission fluid, not much, but you can definitely see it when wrapping a paper towel around the hose. Don't want to replace it if I don't have to. Should I worry about it?
cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-23-2014 at 9:04am
I would fix the leak if it's as easy as a hose and doesn't need to pull the engine or trans. Clean the hose well to be sure it's the hose weeping through. Spray with brake cleaner and wipe with rag until it doesn't turn rags red/oily. Could very well be the inner rubber of the hose has failed and is weeping through the woven exterior. I hate oily bilges and especially making an oil slick when the bilge runs. If it's an easy fix like a hose do it now, if you gotta pull the engine or trans save it for winter if it's only a small leak.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2014 at 6:20pm
I am going to replace the hose, have a new one on order, hopefully it isnt to bad getting the old one off and the new one on. Thanks for the advice.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2014 at 1:14pm
Hose replaced this weekend and this fixed the leak. I used a 13.25 inch hose from skidim, it fit perfectly. Easy to access the connection to the transmission cooler. Pulled the engine box and floor access to get to the fitting on the transmission. Lucky to have dad in town to help. Sucked the old fluid and put in New while we were at it. Went skiing on Sunday and she ran like a champ.
GlassSeeker View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GlassSeeker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 4:23pm
Run with a few squirts of Dawn in the bilge
This is the life
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 8:42pm
Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

This does work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Orlando76 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Orlando76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Originally posted by GlassSeeker GlassSeeker wrote:

This does work.

+1 but I found a dose of tide or any other laundry detergent does slightly better.
Tim D View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 10:32pm
Castrol super clean, that purple stuff.
Tim D
MustangMadness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MustangMadness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-05-2014 at 10:43pm
Just a brief note here to remember the waters that make up our wonderful playgrounds.

What ever you decide..
I like a 6' beam on a small lake... My Muscleboat
1975 Mustang 225 307RH
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by MustangMadness MustangMadness wrote:

Just a brief note here to remember the waters that make up our wonderful playgrounds.

Yes and the reason 2 cycle engines are on their way out. Still, they didn't do much damage.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-06-2014 at 9:26pm
Yea Pete plus you can charge more for service
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
lakedog55 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lakedog55 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 5:34pm
Dawn works great and is also handy to slip on tight bindings.
Lakedog55
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 6:34pm
Super Clean works even better on nasty bilges, BUT don't use it for binding slime unless you need your feet exfoliated.

tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2014 at 7:23pm
Like a fool I bought some Starbrite Bilge Cleaner right after I bought the boat. Doubt I can return it, so I will probably use it this time around, and keep the Dawn in my bilge and in my Wileys.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic