Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

MSD 6AL ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: MSD 6AL ignition
    Posted: June-28-2015 at 2:18pm
I've got an ignition issue (again) on my Martinique.and was talking with a friend who races offroaders, (he's a real hands on old school mechanic, he races LPG against gas and wins his class). And he said that I should get an MSD 6AL ignition system for my 351W. It is on LPG so any extra helps.

Is it a better or worse option than a DUI?
In the US next week and want to collect one as about 40% cheaper.
Anybody tried this or thoughts on them?
1986 Martinique - sold

When we ask for advice, we are usually looking for an accomplice.
Mountain Man View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mountain Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 7:17pm
Don't know that one system is better than the other. I own both systems. Have an MSD in a Corvette and a DUI in my Fish Nautique. They do the same thing. Depending upon your skill level, the DUI is easier to install and maintain - install the distributor and connect one 12-volt wire. The MSD system is a multi-component system: MSD-6 box, coil, and distributor. A couple of suggestions. The DUI system may take a few days to get - not always available for immediate delivery, so order ahead. The MSD components are frequent targets of Chinese knock-offs (fake), so buy from a reputable dealer like Summit or Jeg's and order all of the wiring and connectors at the same time.   Remember when you set your initial timing for your new system that LPG has higher octane (100-110) than gasoline/petrol. The initial timing and total advance will be in the range of 2 to 6 degrees more advanced than the instructions indicate.

Travel safe and I hope you have an enjoyable trip to the US.

Mountain Man

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 7:39pm
I recently installed a DUI unit and couldn't be happier. As Mountain Man stated, there's usually a small wait to get one, so keep that in mind if you decide to go that route.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2015 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I recently installed a DUI unit and couldn't be happier. As Mountain Man stated, there's usually a small wait to get one, so keep that in mind if you decide to go that route.

+1

Love my DUI unit.
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 4:09pm
So I bought a AL6 while in the States, but forgot the magnetic pickup. MSD want to know what the distributor is that is fitted. I'm nowhere near the boat at the moment but have this photo from when I bought it, can anybody identify the model/part no....

Thanks

1986 Martinique - sold

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 4:29pm
You're also going to need some high quality wires and a fresh cap, and likely a new coil.

Also, I recommend a Long-snout coil like the Blaster 3.

Situation is such...

If the rotor is inbetween nodes on the cap when you turn the key to on,
I've witnessed an exposed arc that jumps from the primary stud to the secondary on the coil. This is with no contamination and premium wires. Serious situation under the engine box.

Would have been better you got the 6AM, because it doesn't send a pulse when turning the key to ON.

The MSD6 will jump a 3 inch arc in air, so one needs to be careful.

Really doesn't matter what pickup you have on the distributer, the wiring is the same. I use a pertronix point replacement module, but because the input impedance on the mSD is so high, very little current goes through the module and it doesn't burn out.

Oh, and you can gap your plugs about .070 with that setup.

You best take the cap off the dizzy and take a look what is under there, else its too ambiguous.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
must_dash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote must_dash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 5:03pm
OK.
I was advised a 6AL as it has the rev limiter function, when empty I easily get 4400, but struggle there with a full boat.

I have a Blaster 2 epoxy coil and all new leads.fro summit.

Under the cap is a PCM (that's on the leaflet that came with the replacement a few years ago) 3 wire module, red, green and black. Can I use this module?

Where can I find a model number for the distributor? I have to get somebody else to go and look as I'm about 700 miles from the boat..

T
1986 Martinique - sold

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 5:47pm
Too bad i missed your earlier inquiry , my regrets, Could have saved you some hassle

Yeah, the rev limiter is only most useful when your vehicle has a clutch, or are jumping out of the water.

Some here will confirm, but i suspect whichever lead from the igniter to the - side coil is, that now goes to the MSD. Likely the green.
Then power and ground to the igniter, Cannot source 12 power from the coil anymore .
The MSD puts almost 500V onto the primary.

Math says that engine won't frag below 5500 rpm, just won't happen. Engine will live for decades at 4800.

The blaster 2 doesn't have the extended snout, i am concerned about your combination.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-16-2015 at 7:18pm
I tried an MSD module, but was getting some preignition with it at mid range.   Boat didn't go any faster so overall it was a negative.

6AL seems familiar, so that may have been the model.
I sold it for 1/2 price on Craig's list
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic