Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission fluid overfill

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
knewt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote knewt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission fluid overfill
    Posted: August-27-2015 at 11:28pm
Hi,

1984 Ski Nautique - 351 Ford - Velvet Drive transmission

Noticed my transmission was slipping last night so I let it cool down and checked the fluid this evening. It is about and inch higher than the top fill line on the stick - so somehow fluid leaked into the system.. I can't tell really for sure but it appears to be extra water in there - light red in color and very less viscous.

I am assuming my transmission cooler has a leak.

Has anyone ever seen this? I am assuming it is an easy fix/replace.
1980nautique View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 1980nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 12:13pm
Kent,
if the water level in the bilge didn't get high enough to enter the transmission, through a poorly sealing dipstick or plug, then the cooler is leaking. Skidim and others have them for $80. The trans should be flushed, engine running with no trans load 2-3 times with Dexron. Velvet drives are very forgiving. Hopefully it didn't lose pressure and friction long enough to require a rebuild.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-28-2015 at 8:06pm
Kent,
I agree with the cooler being the potential problem. Pull it out, apply about 30 psi to the oils circuit and stick it in a bucket of water looking for bubbles. That will confirm or rule out the source of the water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic