NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

QuickFuel Carb Trouble Today

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: QuickFuel Carb Trouble Today
    Posted: August-21-2015 at 1:47am
I recently put a QuickFuel M-600 carburetor on my 351 High Output engine. Right out of the box, the QF carb performed very well -- exceeding my expectations. Until today.

The '94 SNOB fired right up and I let her warm up at the dock. As I was leaving the marina, the engine died and would not fire up without a considerable amount of throttle. I had to adjust the curb idle screw quite a bit to keep the engine running. Houston, we've got a problem.

So pull I off the flame arrestor and I can see gas pouring out of the secondaries. Almost new carb -- how can the float needle & seat get so far out-of-whack? Everything was running so well prior to this bit of an unwelcome surprise.

I could NOT get the float adjusted while on the water. Moving the adjustment nut, even minute amounts, was turing the fuel flow on or off. No happy medium.

At home I removed the bowl and needle/seat assembly. I found a small scroll of bronze metal that looks like a remnant from the tooling of the needle/seat assembly. It was blocking the needle & seat. I don't trust it now, so I'll replace with a new assembly.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 3:38am
Did you pull the bowls or anything apart to check it out before bolting it up? We used to have an in house engine dyno and We had problems with all brands of carbs not being free of chips or particles every so often so we always pulled them apart and blew out all the pasages before bolting them up and wasting hours of dyno time chasing issues.
I would give them a call, i would think they should send you one. But in the future its good measure to clean any carb b3fore you bolt it up.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-21-2015 at 12:54pm
I did open both bowls to change the main & secondary jets. I did not get into the needle/seat assemblies.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2015 at 12:06am
If the thread fit was tight, it can kick up a burr during assembly.

Had this problem on a hyd valve once, had to travel to the lame supplier to make them flush after assembly.

QF definitely owes you replacement parts at least.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-29-2015 at 9:03pm
I installed a new needle & seat assembly yesterday and adjusted the float. Adjustment process took only a minute or 2 with the non-damaged assembly. Today's lake adventure showed me that my Ford small block was back in black.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-31-2015 at 12:29pm
You get a few holley's from time to time out of the box with bad needle and seats. I had 1 M 600 with a screwed up accelerator pump tract. It looked like plenty of fuel was coming out of the nozzle but it wasn't enough and would stall. It happens it's mechanical.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2015 at 3:39am
Agreed. Stuff happens with mechanical objects. I get that. Doesn't make it any less annoying. Perhaps a bit beter QC...
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic