Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Boom safety

Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
Author
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boom safety
    Posted: October-26-2015 at 4:20pm
I had friend who nearly lost his arm and had permanent disability with it after a bow cable on their boom snapped. Since then I have been a little leery of them and just not sure about their overall safety.. I would like to get one to help my kids with learning and to use for some footing occasionally. Has anyone else run across any serious injuries or safety concerns while using a boom?
99 Ski Nautique GT40
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 4:38pm
Wow. I have never heard of an accident like that. That is a tough one, but I wouldn't let it deter you. A few guidelines:

Make sure you buy a quality boom from one of the big name suppliers.
Make sure to inspect it on a regular basis, attachment to pylon, cables, connections.
If you see any fraying at all, don't use it. I am sure the manufacturers will replace frayed cable or even maybe a local service. I think Eddie just reported getting his replaced by a local vendor of some sort.
Make sure turnbuckles or cable blocks are tight and in good condition.
Do not be chincy with your hooks to connect the cables to the bow eye. Use quality hooks.
Be sure you have a two cable, not a one cable boom.
Make sure you properly instruct the users of the boom and do not tolerate any actions other than the standard approaches you see on here.

If you are careful and have quality equipment, I think everyone will be safe.
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 4:59pm
From what I understand the company claimed they over tightened the cable. My friends dad said there weren't clear instructions on connecting it. I dont think the manufacturer had much of a defense.

Would it be a better idea to avoid used ones?
99 Ski Nautique GT40
DHart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DHart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 4:59pm
Can you tell us a little more about the accident? Was your friend that got hurt the skier or a passenger? Like Larry, I have not heard of an accident like that on a boom.
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 5:03pm
He was footing on the boom. The cable broke and when the boom gave way he let go. Unfortunately the cable wrapped around his arm and the boat didnt stop immediately.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 5:07pm
Glen,
What actually was the failure point. You did mention cable. If it was the cable where was the failure? At a connection or in the middle?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cumby View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cumby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 5:10pm
Im not sure exactly. I heard most of everything after it happened from my parents talking to his about it. Kind of a sensitive subject to ask about specific details too. Ill try to see if my folks remember anything more about where it gave way.

Im hoping this was very isolated incident. Wasn't sure if anyone else had heard of something like it.
99 Ski Nautique GT40
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:25pm
Well in that case Larry wouldn't a 1 cable boom be safer? 50% chance of this happening!

Without more details this is a pretty useless warning.
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:34pm
Originally posted by <br />Without more details this is a pretty useless warning.[/QUOTE
Without more details this is a pretty useless warning.[/QUOTE wrote:

The OP was not really a warning but more of a question

The OP was not really a warning but more of a question to see if this is a one time thing or if it happens frequently. It also seems as a great warning to not only be safe but to check equipment in whatever you are doing because something like this is just not worth is.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by lcgordon lcgordon wrote:

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

Without more details this is a pretty useless warning.

The OP was not really a warning

It also seems as a great warning

so is it a warning or not? lol
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:54pm

It was not an actual warning but a question but the reader would hopefully think twice and check there gear. Its defiantly not useless is what im saying. It should not matter if it broke at the end or the middle or at the boom clamp or what ever. I would hope people would remember this story and think twice and check all there gear before using.

Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 6:59pm
So a statement or event that indicates a possible or impending danger, problem, or other unpleasant situation?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 7:00pm

It should not matter if it broke at the end or the middle or at the boom clamp or what ever.

Landis,
The point of failure is VERY important especially since this is a warning for people to check their equipment. Cables do not normally break mid point. It's typically at a fitting and typically an improper fitting or an improper install.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Donald80SN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 7:06pm
I know of many people that have purchased and installed used booms with no problems. I have taught many kids how to ski with my used BI Boom.
1980 Ski Nautique SOLD Back to Cypress Gardens
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
1968 Ski Nautique, Project.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 7:14pm
Sorry Larry but I still have to laugh at the 2 vs 1 cable comment. The 1 cable on a Bemman boom is bigger than the cable used on say BI 2 cable booms. Think of a later Ski Nautique with the 1 exhaust outlet vs 2. You have to look at the total area. Besides, most 2 cable booms are set up so poorly that 1 cable is slacking and never does any work!
lcgordon View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lcgordon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 7:14pm

Landis,
The point of failure is VERY important especially since this is a warning for people to check their equipment. Cables do not normally break mid point. It's typically at a fitting and typically an improper fitting or an improper install. [/QUOTE]

Not saying that the actual reason is not important because it very much is so. But not knowing does not make it a pointless warning like stated before. Hearing that somebody almost got their arm ripped off because of equipment failure should hopefully remind ppl to check all there gear periodically weather its the boom cable or the screws and inserts on their skis. Thats atleast what I would think people would do but hey maybe not. But now this is getting kinda pointless so never mind just go ski.
Morfoot View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Morfoot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 7:45pm
I think it's a very valid question and a honest concern. It's a tragic accident for sure but we as Skiers know the risk every time we hit the water. You could easily fall and hit your head on a submerged log that is hiding under the surface of the water. Accidents ARE going to happen. It's the nature of the beast. I had a huge gash under my ankle from the fin off my Slalom ski years ago. I wiped out, came out of the binding and the somehow the fin cut my ankle on front foot....how the heck did it happen?....FREAK ACCIDENT... I was more peeved that my Ski day was over for a while as I had to butterfly it back together and wait for it to heal.

IMHO I think the same applies here....I too have a used Boom I bought off a member here and have used it to teach many Skiers including my daughters.. As mentioned above its the owners responsibility to make sure his equipment is safe to use. If it isn't remove it from use until it is fixed or replaced. I wouldn't hesitate to by a used Boom provided it was well maintained. Been on this sight for a long time and this is the first time I've heard of a cable snapping..Thousands of hours in use just here....Boom bending YES! Video of that exists.....
"Morfoot; He can ski. He can wakeboard.He can cook chicken.He can create his own self-named beverage, & can also apparently fly. A man of many talents."72 Mustang "Kermit",88 SN Miss Scarlett, 99 SN "Sherman"
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 8:35pm
We had both cables rip out of the crimps.   No one was hurt, but it did break a motorbox hinge.
Only one barrel crimp on each cable.

So, Here's how I fixed it.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 8:48pm
Al,
You get a big F with cable repair. I would be embarrassed showing that picture. The turn back is to short and you didn't remove the plastic coating on the cable. Did you check for the proper # of clamps for the size of cable or just put on as many as you could with the length of the turn back? Did you torque the clamp bolts to the proper spec? At least you used a thimble. I suggest replacing the cable and the clamps before you have a problem.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 9:12pm
Yes Pete, you would be embarrassed.   And you get a big F, for not wearing your glasses.
The loops are the exact same ECI factory spec. The coating IS Removed. See the red and blue replacement coating.
I know it's ugly.

I know your boom is probably way better than anyone else's. But mine works without ripping out.
So, now you know how to make your pretty one safe when it breaks.

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 9:28pm
Sorry Al, you are correct that I didn't see that you did remove the cable coating before attaching the tiller clamps.
You are wrong about my boom looking better since I don't own one.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 10:02pm
Just a heds up for those looking to make this stuff a bit better. I need to adjust my cables as well. Eddie gave me a nice eye roll watching me rig it up last month.
Anyway this stuff is exactly what is used on sailboat lifelines. Walk into any West Marine and in the back you will will find a peg board filled with nice SS Sta-lock terminals , shackles, French clips, turnbuckles and bulk cable. Next to the peg board will be a bench and Sta-lock press. They do not charge for crimping this stuff up and it would be a huge upgrade from the stock configuration of crimp clamps. Maybe if I get some Ill re-do mine and post a DIY.
Any interest in that?
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 10:33pm
Yes,   the Sta-Lok's are a beautiful piece of hardware.   But I'm not seeing an end that would work well with nylon straps.

Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-26-2015 at 10:37pm
I think it's good to share experiences with equipment failures/injuries because stuff does happen and the more you know, the more you can prevent it. Seems to me an important rule is you never have anyone behind the boom in case it lets go. Great idea to check over the boom/fly high connections. I was pulling my very intermediate nephew slalom skiing about 20 years ago and he took a very unspectacular fall on a turn. His face hit the tip of the ski and he had a gash in his eye brow, a broken nose, broken cheek bone and a crushed eye socket. He still has breathing problems and I feel bad about it. Nothing anyone could have done to prevent it, but stuff does happen. Barefooting is an intense sport. Good to check your equipment and keep an eye on newbies in the boat.
marlo14 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote marlo14 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 12:16am
I want to say I have heard of someone getting hurt from a boom cable incident. Don't remember if a cable broke or what but I remember it was determined the cables (it was a two cable boom) were not adjust properly so only the one received the load from the boom and when it was subject to a shock load it caused whatever to break or come loose. Like anything, if not install correctly, used as designed, or maintained....your risk of an accident rises significantly.
jhersey29 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jhersey29 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 12:21am
Earlier in the post someone mentioned the cable was over tightened. I'm trying to get this figured out in my head how that is even possible. The cable usually is only tightened to the point of minimal slack and the skier weight actually tightens it up. Did they attach a come along to the boom and back of the boat and tight the heck out of it? It would seriously take some leverage to stress those cables. I've been using booms for 25 years and never had a BI boom failure. I'm a bit wreck loose as well and tend to push equipment but I still take care of it at the same time. Sounds like some one neglected thier equipment and didn't replace a cable when it was needed. I've seen al sorts of manufacturing defects so anything is possible. Taking risk is part of all sports and personally if they weren't a little dangerous I'm not sure I'd even enjoy them. I trust my boom way more than I trust the other weekend warriors on the lake.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 12:27am
Originally posted by jhersey29 jhersey29 wrote:

I trust my boom way more than I trust the other weekend warriors on the lake.

Amen !!!!!!!!!!! Them dang tubers are more dangerous.
2002 Sport Nautique, GT-40, FCT2, Cover Sports, Tower Bimini, Inc., Wet Sounds Audio System, Star Gazer Wake Edition S.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 1:03am
Don I imagine in your second job travels you have seen some horrific equipment failures. Oh the humanity.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Donald80SN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 8:45am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don I imagine in your second job travels you have seen some horrific equipment failures. Oh the humanity.

Oh yes, when a brass pole fails with a fat boy ten feet in the air, you never can plan for a good landing. You have to love your Art and hope your Art loves you back.
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-27-2015 at 9:07am
I am guilty of pushing the limits of the equipment that I have and have never heard of a failure - does this mean they do not happen, we all know better. What needs to be considered is why it happened and what if any events contributed to the event.
The equipment we use is engineered for a specific purpose within certain parameters, when we ignore or "discount" (or simply do not follow them at all) the manufacturers recommendations the level of risk for such an injury increases.
As a skier / footer / wake boarder or heck even a tuber you have a responsibility to understand the risks you are taking when you grab the handle or flop onto the tube, the risks include the equipment being used, the set up of the equipment, driver capability etc.
When you grab the handle and say go boat / hit it you have accepted the risk of what you are doing and who is operating the boat....
Check your equipment at not less than the frequency recommended in the instructions that came with it, call the manufacturer or go on-line (I personally have called both Lane Bowers and Mike Sieple for clarifications and equipment limitations of the BI Products).

And for what it is worth I probably using what was one of the most bent booms (a good 6" sweep in the far end) due to my size, inexperienced driver, incorrect body position and refusing to let loose of the handle. Interestingly enough when the cables were checked there was no sign of movement in the "blocks" and the boom still is in service (albeit a bit straighter) today without issue.
Check your gear often, inform your skiers of your expectations and what their expectations of you should be and have fun.
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   123>
  Share Topic