NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1988 STRUT BUSHING

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:14pm
Isn't there a Zach guy that has come up on several posts here that works at a dealer.
Does anyone know if they could - would do the replacement? I am into this by myself and doing it in a unheated garage. Not a lot of interested helpers and my wife wants her parking space NOW. All 3 of our cars are outside and it's frosting.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:23pm
Zach is in Indianapolis @N3 Boatworks
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:44pm
cutlass swap thread

One of many

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 3:47pm
zach doesn't even have to crouch down to change a cutlass
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 4:17pm
OK, so worst case is I can drag it to Indy and N3 will do it for $300. Just hung up the phone. They did encourage me to take a shot at it.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 4:50pm
I can't believe there isn't someone closer that will do it. It's a basic DD (or even a VD) maintenence procedure. The marina's around Table Rock must only hire back yard hacks.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Of course you are correct. Complete brain fart on my part. I just find it easier to pull the engine but I have a hoist system that makes it easy.

Everyone (except Jbear) who owns something Chevy powered has/needs a hoist system
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 6:10pm
I could start looking around the lake in southern Mo.(thats where we boat at) but we live in St louis. To the best of my knowledge the closest SN dealer in at the Lake of the Ozarks that's 2 hrs + They told me they were booked for service for the next 90 days or so. Check back later??? Whatever that meant.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 6:19pm
David,
You do not have to seek out a CC dealer. Anyone who services a DD or VD should be able to handle the cutlass replacement.

So, you really don't want to take on the job yourself?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
D&C1988 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D&C1988 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 6:46pm
I guess if I had some help I would be more inclined to just go for it. Taking it apart seems OK, just want to make sure goes back correctly and runs true. A professional shop who does it for a living has the experience.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-24-2015 at 8:38pm
It is uncomfortable stretching into a new skill set, but it sure feels good when you get it done.

I have screwed up many a project, but always learned what not to do next time.

Every skill or pc of knowledge I picked up has made the next project easier.

Seems like there should be plenty of time to fix the strut bearing before boating season starts again . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Originally posted by backfoot100 backfoot100 wrote:

Of course you are correct. Complete brain fart on my part. I just find it easier to pull the engine but I have a hoist system that makes it easy.

Everyone (except Jbear) who owns something Chevy powered has/needs a hoist system

LOL. I need it more for my Volvo's then I did for the Chevy. It's OK to admit that deep down inside, you're really a Chevy guy too. No one will fault you for that. JBear turned to the dark side. You can too....

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-25-2015 at 8:03pm
Test
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 10:15am
I wish someone would come up with a device that would attach to the strut and push the bushing out. It would be much better than cutting it out with a saw.
halfnelly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote halfnelly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 10:23am
Originally posted by Riley Riley wrote:

I wish someone would come up with a device that would attach to the strut and push the bushing out. It would be much better than cutting it out with a saw.

Something like this?
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 10:32am
That is just what I was thinking of. If it works well it might only take a couple of struts to be worth the price for no aggravation.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 10:49am
Originally posted by halfnelly halfnelly wrote:

Something like this?

Don't forget:
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

David,
John is correct that the "tool" isn't worth the money.
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

Don't bother with the tool and business plan.

Just picture taking a slide hammer to a piece of brass tubing with a .035" wall thickness. The contact area is even less than the .035 since it needs clearance to the ID of the strut. You can't pound rubber! It may work half way decent once but then your "business" plan would suffer. Do you really believe everything you see on an internet youtube??
If you don't have an ARE shaft system, this would be a great time to install one!

If it works well it might only take a couple of struts to be worth the price for no aggravation.

Correct "if" it works for a couple of cutlass R&R's!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 10:56am
Dropping the strut is the easiest way to do it. No coupling bake, no rudder drop, four bolts and its off. You now have a dozen choices on how to change the bearing including dropping the strut off at a prop shop or car mechanic or machine shop, using threaded rod and pipe, hack saw, drift and hammer, plasma cutter, atomic fission, telling your son to NOT Take That Bushing OUT etc. Chances are very good it (the strut) isn't lined up correctly anyway and now you can do a proper alignment. (that you were gonna have to do anyway)
This is more like tractor science than rocket science.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:00am
I didn't know that was the first tool you were talking about. I can see that it would work on large struts better than our tiny ones. We're trying to do a quick engine swap, but one thing is leading to another and nothing is going to be quick about it. This thing needs a strut bearing and the one that is in it was inserted from the front of the boat and the rubber has squished out to the rear of the strut making everything difficult to see and get to. I'm beginning to think it's a job for a nice spring day, which derails my original plan.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:04am
Baitkiller, I hear you, but reinstalling the strut is another job for a nice spring day. You probably can't relate to working in a cramped, dark, cold garage.
desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:12am
I had to replace the damper plate on my '89. While the transmission was removed I was able to slide the driveshaft forward (after pulling the prop) and R&R the bushing. Removing the transmission is pretty easy. I did not have to remove the rudder or strut. Just one more alternative to the methods already mentioned.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:13am

We're trying to do a quick engine swap,.

Bruce,
With an engine swap, you've got it easy since you don't have to mess with the shaft coupling. Just pull the shaft out forward when the engines out. Do, as mentioned, check the strut alignment but with the engine sway you'll be doing a full alignment anyway.

Engine swap? Are you going non original on me again? Fill us in!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:20am
Again? We're replacing a Commander with a PCM in a Tique and we would like it ready by spring, but one thing leads to another and so much for quick...The shaft is out of the boat and heading to the machine shop to be straightened. It's got a 11/1000 bow in it. I guess it was wishful thinking on my part about the quick as I should have known better.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:29am
If the strut is lined up to the log, I wouldn't pull it. If it's not, then it needs to be pulled anyways so go for it! I have cut out bushings both with the strut in place and with it removed, it's not THAT much easier to get it out with the strut off (it's a bit of a PITA regardless), certainly not enough to justify pulling the strut if it's currently lined up properly. Rico got his old bushing out in about 30 min this summer, boat was on the lift and he was in the water. Very doable. Throw a space heater in the garage Bruce, it'll all be over in an hour.

Like Pete, I have my doubts about the strut pro being easy to use. There's just so little surface area for it to grab onto. If it were cheaper it might be worth trying but I'd rather borrow one first, ha.
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:37am
Tim, we've branched out to the garage in Portland which isn't that big and took us half of Friday to rearrange and clean it out enough to get the boat stored for winter. There used be heated garage space that you could rent by the hour around here, but that has gone away with all the urban renewal we're experiencing. No place to put a salamander without setting something on fire. We should have started sooner! Good idea about checking the alignment of the strut. It does look like the shaft was riding on the log a little which seems to be typical of the boats I've pulled apart.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:41am

It does look like the shaft was riding on the log a little which seems to be typical of the boats I've pulled apart.

The engine is probably out of alignment but do keep in mind it all starts at the strut.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 11:45am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

.Engine swap? Are you going non original on me again? Fill us in!

Again? .

Is my memory going that bad? I seem to remember a downdraft swap where there should be two sidedrafts!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-01-2015 at 12:04pm
Those are just performance bolt ons, plenty of people do that.
lewy2001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lewy2001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-02-2015 at 8:19am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

If the strut is lined up to the log, I wouldn't pull it. If it's not, then it needs to be pulled anyways so go for it! I have cut out bushings both with the strut in place and with it removed, it's not THAT much easier to get it out with the strut off (it's a bit of a PITA regardless), certainly not enough to justify pulling the strut if it's currently lined up properly. Rico got his old bushing out in about 30 min this summer, boat was on the lift and he was in the water. Very doable. Throw a space heater in the garage Bruce, it'll all be over in an hour.

Surprised you have not done one with the boat still in the water Tim
If you're going through hell, keep going

89 Ski

<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=5685" ta
BuffaloBFN View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuffaloBFN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:07am
I fixed a long bolt with a pair of 1.25" washers between 2 nuts. Tap this way a little, then back. Add a few drops of oil to the high side if needed and out she comes.
1988 BFN-sold

"It's a Livin' Thing...What a Terrible Thing to Lose" ELO
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic