Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

chrysler 340 engine help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
74resorter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: chrysler 340 engine help
    Posted: December-16-2015 at 9:39pm
Hello all, New to the forum and as I have read from past posts y'all don't mind a post from a Century owner from time to time. Own a beautiful 18ft 74 Resorter with Chrysler LM340 and 1;1 velvet drive. I am have an interesting issue with just the end plate of the right exhaust manifold getting hot, Specifically right at number 1 cylinder, exhaust manifold is new and cool to touch but end plate getting so hot it is burning the shape of the orifice inside the exhaust manifold through the new paint. Motor is a fresh rebuild, less that 10 hours. Edelbrock 600cfm carb, new plugs (champion). Runs cool and great oil pressure. Had boat in water today and after 10 min the problem side was 20 degree hotter @ 129 vs 109 for the other.

Anyone have similar experiences or can send me in the right direction?

Thanks again!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 9:49pm
Rich,
Welcome to CCfan even though you have a different brand of boat!! I would not consider 130 to be hot. Why was it changed out? What manifold brand is it? I ask since depending on the arrangement of plumbing, many need a tube insert inside the water jacket to eliminate air pockets. Was it plumbed correctly? Chrysler is famous for having their own way of plumbing cooling water.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:04pm
Welcome to the site. There are enough people here that have that engine that ought to be able to tell if its plumbed correctly. Chryslers plumbing is convoluted. Post some pics of your engine. What color is your Resorter?

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:13pm
Hello and thanks so much, the exhaust manifold is an oem replacement from Barr and when I looked through the directions it stated no distribution tube was needed given the water inlet was in front through the end plates. But the replaced(old) manifold and the one currently on the starboard side have the tube installed. I will contact Barr perhaps they have a Tech who can help. Replaced because previous exhaust manifold was old and end plate had cracked from heat even with distribution tube. I will put up some pics this weekend if you don't mind.
all the best,

R
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:35pm
Rich,
Please understand that a Barr is not the same as the OEM manifold and plumbing most likely would be different. Is there a reason you only changed the starboard side? Since the paint is burning off, I'd have to say there's an air pocket on the high end.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:50pm
Agreed, in process of doing both but started with problem side first. I will be back on it this weekend, we are expecting weather in the 60s. Really appreciate the help and direction..

R
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-16-2015 at 10:51pm
Rich: no worries, there are a number of us here on the site who also own a Century. How about some photos?

If you've never been on Hurrikain. Com they specialize in Chrysler and also have original operating manuals if you do not have one.
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 2:01pm
Have a few pics I was able to upload to my profile file, whats the trick to transfer to the conversation? Anyway spoke to Mike at Go2marine today, very helpful said that even though instructions state distribution tube not needed... because of the engine angle I will need the tube. Other than that she runs great! Once that's done the last item on my restoration is refinishing the dash and replacing the mismatched gauges.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-17-2015 at 6:27pm
Rich,
For pictures, use the "post reply" and not the "quick reply". Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow. A box will come up allowing you to browse your computer for the picture.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 8:41am
Here are a few pics I will add a few more of engine this weekend. Thanks!

R
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 8:57am
Rich,
Nice! I always enjoy the classic lines of the Resorters. Did Century put boot strips on their hulls in 74 or were they just removed? Did you remove the boarding ladder and add the platform? What's the vent in the side of the dog house for? Thanks for the pictures and yes, get those pictures of the engine posted.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 9:02am
That's nice. That one piece windshield sure makes it look newer than a 74.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 11:01am
Nice looking boat. I like how you cut the bunks back so that it sits on that #3 so nicely.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 11:30am
Ok I'm confused.....what's up with the Correct Craft stickers????
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 11:38am
Looks like a Bronco tow vehicle, very nice

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 12:04pm
Thanks for the thumbs up. The boat was a basket case when I purchased it from po who was also the original owner. Burgundy hull, cream topsides and burgundy carpet. She isn't original as I am doing a resto mod for this project.. The po did the swim platform conversion and I installed the side vents to allow for air flow. The rear decals are "one offs".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 12:09pm
Apologies now to any of the purists who may be offended by my decal, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 1:11pm
Ok that's better, now I see what you did........still though, the Resorter is legendary.
Anybody who knows inboards knows what it is, and if they don't, who cares?

This purist says ditch the faux stickers, get some proper Century plaques, and wear them with pride!
1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 4:13pm
Originally posted by 74resorter 74resorter wrote:

I installed the side vents to allow for air flow.

Rich,
What was the problem? Did the PO remove the USCG mandated ventilation?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Riley View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 5:55pm
My brothers and I had an 80 Resorter which was a good ski boat back in the day. A better story about those decals would be, "this was a Cypress Gardens Ski Boat back in the '70's".

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74resorter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 7:28pm
Riley, that's hilarious....believe me some things I don't take too seriously....myself included. Fact is I love this boat, fun, easy to work on and I enjoy looking at it. lol More than I can say for my first two wives!
oldcuda View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote oldcuda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 8:06pm
               Looks kinda naked all white. Probably looked just like mine originally
74Wind View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 74Wind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-18-2015 at 8:51pm
Oldcuda, great boat! (and tow rig)....

In 75 Century changed the Resorter to that similar (or same) "Italian Brown" but it was full brown to the keel,, not just above waterline,,...what year is yours?

1974 Southwind 18
1975 Century Mark II
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic