NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

312 timing cover seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 312 timing cover seal
    Posted: January-01-2016 at 12:29am
For the couple guys out there running this old stuff that might search for this in the future.. The seal is 17386 readily available from your local parts store.

Keywords:
Y Block 312 interceptor 215 timing cover front main seal
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 9:20pm
Haha thanks Pete!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 9:16pm
Ethan,
I'd sure go with the seal you measured for and not worry about dirt. I don't think you'll be driving the boat on dusty dirty roads.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 9:01pm
The numbers on the old seal are unintelligible. The new seal is directional but is the wrong od and id on further inspection. After measuring the cover it looks like I need a 2.51od x1.72id seal which is available, it just doesn't have the lip that would keep dirt from coming in.. The seal isn't directional either, but is coming up as a timing cover seal.. I reckon that's my best shot?
Oh, and there isn't any knurling on the shaft.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-27-2015 at 8:27pm
Ethan,
What's the # on the old seal? Are you sure the seal is directional? Is there directional knurling on the shaft?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
67nautique312 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 67nautique312 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 1:56pm
It's been so long since I have rebuilt my 312 I can't remember where I got it???....I think most of my parts I got from John Mummert   www.ford-y-block.com.   but I can't remember if at that time anything was available for RR. I believe Billy Sutton has been the most recent one to put one on and I think he may have found one that would work for RR??....but not 100% sure?

Paul,
1963 Classic (handed down to my daughter)
67 Riviera
68 barracuda
1971 Ski Nautique Promo
86 Silver Nautique
1995 Ski Nautique
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December-26-2015 at 12:21pm

I'm putting the y Block back together and the timing cover seal that came with the gasket set is for a standard rotation engine. Does anyone know what the part number for a reverse rotation seal would be?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere, I've searched and can't come up with anything..
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic