Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
nautique206 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: rear main seal
    Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:36pm
My 2008 nautique has a little oil leak. I can't see where but my guess is it's the rear main seal. How bad of a pain is this job going to be?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:46pm
Is it engine oil or ATF?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 6:50pm
I'm pretty sure it's engine oil. Is there a way to attach a photo?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by nautique206 nautique206 wrote:

I'm pretty sure it's engine oil. Is there a way to attach a photo?

Use the "Post reply" rather than the "quick reply". Click on the icon of the tree with the up arrow. The box that comes up will allow you to browse your computer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 7:28pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 7:29pm
After I found oil the first time I wiped out the bottom of the boat. I checked it around a week later and this is what it looked like.
4woody View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 4woody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-04-2016 at 11:32pm
Yes it's a rear main oil seal leak .unfortunately you will need to pull the motor its a chore if you are a novis mechanic like myself..
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 1:08am
I wouldn't be too sure about that. Do some checking with someone who knows Chevy's. If it's like late model Fords with a 1 piece seal I'd sure give it a try before pulling it. Pull the trans,tilt the engine, pull the bellhousing,flywheel,and plate and there will be the seal. Before putting it back together check to see if the flywheel bolts need some sort of sealant too.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
shadow View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shadow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 1:11am
I was thinking I had a rear seal leaking on my boat, turned out to be a crack in the hose to drain the oil, the crack was right at the oil pan, replaced the hose and the oil leak was gone. I found the crack when I went to change the oil, after running the hose thru the bottom of the boat, I noticed the leak got a lot worse and found the problem to be the drain hose.
shadow
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-05-2016 at 6:09am
Brooks,
From the color, it does look like engine oil but as mentioned above, don't condemn the rear main seal just yet. Clean up the bilge again and then slip some cardboard or paper under the engine. Wait a couple days and take a look. Spotting on the paper may help pinpointing where the leak is. Keep in mind all engines do leak. On a car, you just don't notice it since it leaks out to the ground. What model 08 is it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 12:35pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 12:36pm
The first photo in this thread is from Dec 30th and this new one is from Jan 10th. I put the card board in on Jan 10th. I will pull it out on the 16th or 17th and take a pic. Thanks for all the help!
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 12:55pm
Definitely check the oil drain hose and also the hoses to/from the remote filter. When was the oil filter last changed and are you 100% sure the old gasket was not still there??
If nothing obvious then as mentioned above, clean everything up and tape some cardboard down to pinpoint the exact drip point.

The remote filter on the Chevy is a Ford piece, so it's the most likely fail point on that motor

Do you have an Excalibur or the 6 liter ZR-6??

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-12-2016 at 2:03pm
I glanced over the hoses but I will check them again this weekend. I changed the oil and filter back in May. It's never leaked in the three summers that I have owned it. The last time I used it was back in Sept and then I popped hood in December and saw that oil. I ran it that day for 30 minutes or so after checking the oil and it ran good. My engine is the EX 343.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-15-2016 at 2:04am
If you determine it is the rear main seal it is not that hard to change and I would highly recommend running a National Rear Main seal, a Teflon if available. The Teflon seals are a lifetime seal good for a million miles. They come with a plasic installation tool you just slip the plastic over the tail of the crank and push the seal up and in with the plastic protecting the Teflon on the way in. Teflon is easy to damage on install but not if you use the provided plastic installation tool.
It will seem odd because the tool is large enough on one side to slip on the crankshaft and the other is smaller and fits in the seal. When you press it onto the crank the tool helps the Teflon lip expand up and over the crankshaft.
Put these in clean and dry. Dry because you want the Teflon to start transferring to the crankshaft. Once it does you have Teflon rubbing on Teflon and zero leaks for life.
They are a really cool seal, I have used several. They originally were designed to dry up leaking rear main seals on diesel engines. They work great.   NOTE: if your engine is reverse rotation they will leak, the Teflon is threaded for standard rotation.
I bet your 1998 has a standard rotation with the 1.23 drive reversing the prop only.
The tranny is much easier to pull than the engine. Pull the tranny or slide it back out of the way and install your seal.   Should be 2-3 hours work tops.   If my memory is correct the 343 is the older 5.7L engine?   If it is the newer 5.7L LS style block Fel-Pro offers the Teflon Seal for that engine if it is the older 5.7L vortec style block National offers the Teflon rear main seal. These are only available in full round standard rotation seals.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2016 at 5:54pm

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nautique206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-21-2016 at 5:57pm
Here's the pic from Jan 10th to Jan 16th. I was able to get the cardboard maybe a inch or half inch past where the motor connects to the transmission. I'm going to take it to Jody at FL Inboards the first week in Feb.
tjca77 View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjca77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-07-2016 at 10:28am
Did the new rear main seal fix your issue? Curious, because I think I have the same issue. How much of a hit to the bank account was it? I am taking mine in this weekend so any information you can share is appreciated.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic