Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 rebuild manual

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
sailsail View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sailsail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 rebuild manual
    Posted: January-31-2016 at 8:43pm
Good afternoon!

Does anyone here know a good source for a rebuild manual for the ford engine on the 1980s ski nautiques?

Not planning to rebuild mine this year but I do want to check and adjust the valves, check and adjust the timing, verify that I have enough fuel pressure etc. I would just like to get the ballpark values. Also would like to know what type of spark plugs, spark plug wires, and distributed cap. As well as a new alternator or charging system, mine was ripped out by the previous owner with just an alternator and no wires attached... A few dangling wires though....

Do they make a nifty tune up kit for this engine like they do the Mercs where they have a distributer cap, points and various other components?

I also had a problem with my boat stalling when shifting into forward and reverse. I disconnected the shift cable from the transmission and was able to shift it back and forth in the water and accelerate with no issues. Any idea what is wrong there?

Thanks again for all your help.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 10:16pm
Look in the reference section for the PCM manual,that will tell you the plugs,timing etc. If your doing a tear down rebuild get yourself Tom Monroe's How to Rebuild a Small Block Ford book or just get one to familiarize yourself to the engine. For example there is no need to adjust the valves since they have hydraulic lifters. Sponsors of the site like N3 will have oem PCM parts like a tune up kits,wires etc.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-31-2016 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by sailsail sailsail wrote:

I also had a problem with my boat stalling when shifting into forward and reverse. I disconnected the shift cable from the transmission and was able to shift it back and forth in the water and accelerate with no issues. Any idea what is wrong there?

Bill,
If the trans shifts without stalling the engine using the lever on the trans rather than the helm shift, something's up with the cable adjustment. When you shift using the helm, does it look like it kicking the accelerator down too? Is the boat pretty hacked? You mentioned the PO just cut the wires removing the alternator!! Maybe he was hacking on the cable adjustments too?? Pictures?

Do get the book Gary mentioned. I feel you may need it especially regarding hydraulic valve lifters.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Waterdog View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Waterdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 10:07am
I have the How to Rebuild a Small Block Ford book -
20 bucks well spent    
- waterdog -

78 Ski Tique

mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 10:53am
PDF version

It's the first link
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic