Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

GT40 3bar heads

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
brentdekeyser View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentdekeyser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: GT40 3bar heads
    Posted: January-27-2016 at 1:31pm
Im new to the forum and to owning a CC. I have a 1983 ski natique 2001 with a reverse rotating 351 W. My question is will the GT 40 heads bolt up with no issues and extra work. The casting number F3ZE is on the head.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2016 at 1:39pm
Yes. Welcome.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2016 at 1:56pm
If they are from a 351 originally they will bolt right up. If they are from a 302 you will need a machine shop to drill the head bolt holes out to match the larger 351 spec heads.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentdekeyser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 3:38pm
Thank you. My stock heads must be rebuilt so for the money I guess GT40's make sense. I also need a new can and to bore .030 over. Any suggestions on cam?
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 3:45pm
Tim will chime in on the cam. The only place that seems to have any RR blanks anymore is Cam Research. They will also break in your flat tappet before they send it to you so less risk of toasting a fresh engine.

1.7 Roller Rockers also give you extra lift boost. Clearwater Cylinder Head still has P heads available you just have to make sure to tell them to drill the head bolt holes to 351 spec.

Put on an Edelbrock performer intake.

Also, I am in the same boat (no pun) with head replacement on a stock 240 horse this spring. I am toying around with an aluminum affordable head option from a company called Flotek. (Note: they haven't been run or tested by any of us just yet)
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 3:53pm
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by phatsat67 phatsat67 wrote:

Also, I am in the same boat (no pun) with head replacement on a stock 240 horse this spring. I am toying around with an aluminum affordable head option from a company called Flotek. (Note: they haven't been run or tested by any of us just yet)

http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/ccrp-1302-six-budget-ford-heads-that-work/

Zack, This may help some
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-29-2016 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by brentdekeyser brentdekeyser wrote:

I also need a new cam Any suggestions on cam?

Brent,
What happened to the original cam? Was it by chance run on oil without ZDDP?

I too would like to welcome you to CCfan. Fill us in on the new to you 83. Are the stringers ok? We'd love to see pictures as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mamigacz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamigacz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-30-2016 at 11:24am

Thank you. My stock heads must be rebuilt so for the money I guess GT40's make sense. I also need a new can and to bore .030 over. Any suggestions on cam?

If you change the cam, the springs may need to be changed if the lift is above .5. See the below link.

valve spring thread
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-01-2016 at 10:49pm

Here's some info from Duane in Indy copied from a post he made today so it's fresh info

The subject came up on CC site a week or so ago about RR camshaft availability . I just spoke with Comp Cams tech staff and they have reverse rotation blanks in stock for firing order 1,8,4,5,6,2,7,3. Flat tappet hydraulic cam can be custom ground to your needed specs. They quoted me $247 delivered price. 3-5 day service

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote brentdekeyser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:01pm
The original cam has some rust on it due to water in the engine.
dochockey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dochockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:12pm
Are you in Lakewood Colorado?
1989 Teal Ski Nautique
1967 Mustang
Harris Float
Sunfish
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:45pm
You folks know a lot more about these things than I do, but I remember reading about a stroker 351W, that developed 400HP on 87 octane at 5000 RPM-- and immediately thought-- well-- why not apply this to our increased power cravings.
[http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/]

note: first attempt at linking properly--
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
1996 Nautique Super Sport
1988 Waterlogged Supra Mariah
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:47pm
OK-- failed at link. Sorry!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:47pm
fail
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:50pm
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:50pm
FAQ is your friend.
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:53pm
you're really racking up the forum points today Mr. Eader.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 4:54pm
Judas Phart?
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-09-2016 at 5:08pm
you're really racking up the forum points today Mr. Eader.

Yes, online auctions from a big customer today== lots of sitting, waiting, furious bidding, sitting waiting.... I hate this stuff. At least CC keeps me company!
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Toertel View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toertel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2016 at 4:40am
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

FAQ is your friend.

linkie not workie (or at least not for me)

So A here my tryhttp://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/

B point, I like points. Can I redeem them for some CCF stuff like miles?
1994 Sport Nautique
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2016 at 9:04am
Dang. I copied and pasted the hyperlink between the two sets of parenthesis. What am I doing wrong?
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2016 at 9:07am
HW--that Eader fellow is from Deep Lake in Wisconsin. It says so right there on the CCF calendar ;-)
2008 MasterCraft 197TT
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2016 at 10:25am
Thanks for the right link Seb. It worked for me this time.

You folks know a lot more about these things than I do, but I remember reading about a stroker 351W, that developed 400HP on 87 octane at 5000 RPM-- and immediately thought-- well-- why not apply this to our increased power cravings.
[http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/]

note: first attempt at linking properly--

Interesting read but unfortunately, apples and oranges to a marine GT40.
1) Lack of O2 sensors cause closed loop programming (or is it open loop??? I always get that confused)
2) Flat tappet cam, vs. hydraulic roller
3) Wet exhaust manifolds vs. dry headers
4) No aftermarket chip upgrade available

Moral of the story is simple. The marine GT40 is about as good as you're going to get in factory trim. They did a good job getting what they could out of it. You take the afore mentioned restrictions into consideration and that engine in the article will be doing damn good to get the 315-320HP that PCM gets out of it.
The biggest issue is that with no aftermarket chips to tune it, you're pretty much screwed. Some here have experimented with completely new aftermarket programmable EFI systems like Megasquirt but its an expensive option and not for the faint of heart. You better know what you're doing or be prepared to keep throwing pistons into it until you get it right.

So you want more HP????? Get rid of your vaunted GT40 and build a motor the old fashioned way. Put a carb on top of it so it looks like a real motor and you 'll run circles around that GT40.
Of course you could always upgrade to a new 409, 450 or even a 550 if you have the income to do so. While I'm not that familiar with any of them I do know that it's already been proven by more than one person here that a carbed motor can be built that would challenge any of those engines. While certainly not a cheap endeavor in itself, I'm sure it would still be a fraction of what you'll spend on one of them.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2016 at 3:28pm

Dang. I copied and pasted the hyperlink between the two sets of parenthesis. What am I doing wrong?

I'm putting "{" and "}" in place of "[" and "]" for my explanation so it will show up on screen.

You had something like

{URL=http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/{/URL}

What you need is:
{URL}http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/{/URL}

Or
{URL=http://www.hotrod.com/how-to/engine/hrdp-9812-ford-351w-small-block-with-efi/}Description of link{/URL}

Change to proper brackets and you have:
Hot Rod Article
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic