NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

distributor shot?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor shot?
    Posted: March-15-2016 at 11:53am
Put my boat in a couple weeks ago. Test drives, ran great, expected WOT performance. Skied last weekend. ran fine. End of run it started running rough. Usual symptoms I have that I can usually fix. This time was a little different tho. When idling, it goes chug shug chug shug ka-chunk, ka-chunk chug chug chug chug ka-chink ka-chunk. Timing> I checked timing, set alright, but I fiddled with it anyway, and the engine ran much smoother if I cranked the timing much higher than it should be. I took it out with the cranked up timing but at low speeds it still kachunks.

What concerns me: I twist the rotor a bit to the right and the advance turns and springs it back. (sort of....springs might be getting tired) But the concern is, I can also twist the rotor 10-20 degrees to the left. As in, I've got that much play in the distributor shaft. That certainly doesn't seem right. Where could that play be. I returned it to its full to the right position and that's when I checked the timing and why I cranked the timing up to like 20. I am thinking maybe the at rest position of the rotor should be where I can turn it to the left and it just sits there.

Any thoughts? Not in a big hurry to buy a new distributor, but maybe its time. I am thinking of lifting mine out to see if I can see any issues. Can the gear get loose? Where else could the play be coming from?
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:00pm
Larry,
Since you mentioned springs, I'd start there and look for a set. The play in the shaft is a concern. How about pulling the distributor and do a visual check on the drive gear.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 12:02pm
Time for a new dizzy or a dizzy rebuild. Worn bushings are probably contributing to the rate at which you are buying new caps. Check with Reid and Tim for the info on a good rebuild shop, Tim just had his redone.
backfoot100 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote backfoot100 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:45pm
Holy Crap Larry. I agree with Tim. That should not be able to move both directions. Somethings definitely amiss. They do wear out. It's not terribly common but it does happen. I'd say that removal and inspection is the first step and see what's going on.

When people run down to the lake to see what's making that noise, you've succeeded.

Eddie
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 1:56pm
Yeah, that was my planned next step, One that I, as an amateur, don't take lightly because of the getting it back in right, question. I've read the posts about getting it to TDC and so on and so on but that's a new one to me. I was talking to a motor head car builder type co worker of mine about it (who when I asked, told me he was just getting ready to swap out his points dist for electronic in the "new" vette he just bought. Its a beauty.

Anyway, he said no biggie, just mark rotor and dist alignment with a mark on the block and put it all back together lined up and it will be fine. He was referencing putting in a new one vs take out and inspect, but all the same I guess
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-15-2016 at 2:12pm
I wouldn't bother marking the dizzy/rotor/intake prior to removal, getting it back in the same exact position will be painful. Getting it close isn't worth it- much faster to time it from scratch. Distributor position is all relative.

Prior to reinstallation, just get the engine rolled over (with a breaker bar) to TDC (0 deg marked on the balancer) on the compression stroke. Have someone hold their thumb over the #1 spark plug hole as you roll the engine around (make sure you're rolling it the same direction that the engine rotates). As you approach 0deg on the compression stroke, it'll push your thumb off the plug hole. Line up at 0-10 deg btdc per the balancer. Then install dizzy. Rotate so that the rotor points directly towards a post. Install #1 plug wire on that post. Follow around installing plug wires per correct firing order. Timing should be close enough at this point for the engine to start. Retime it at idle. Check full advance, adjust base timing as necessary. Pretty simple. 15min job we can knock out at WL if you have a dizzy by then.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 9:07pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

. . Then install dizzy. Rotate so that the rotor points directly towards a post. Install #1 plug wire on that post. .

If it is installed, how do you rotate it, or are you saying rotate as you install to line it up?
How do you line up to a post....you don't know where a post is with the cap off.
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 11:24pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

I was talking to a motor head car builder type co worker of mine about it (who when I asked, told me he was just getting ready to swap out his points dist for electronic in the "new" vette he just bought. Its a beauty.

Is that a '65 1/2 with a 396 or is she a '66? Super pretty vette. My uncle had a '65 1/2 with the 396. Pretty rare and worth quite a bit of money.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 11:32pm
65 as far as I know. Never said anything about 1/2. 327 Has a cool 1965 vintage license plate on it. He also has a T-bucket that he made.
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 11:35pm
Larry, if you have the engine pulley at 10BTDC on compression stroke of #1 cylinder, and you don't want to pull the distributor, then turn the distributor base and put the rotor on the dist shaft and temporarily place cap on to see where the rotor is pointing. Then try to align the rotor as close as possible with the center of one of the eight terminals inside the cap. Whichever terminal the rotor is pointing to......you make that number 1 plug wire. Then, in the direction of distributor rotation you put all the other wires in the correct firing order for your engine.

You're close enough now to start the engine and put a timing light on it for a few degrees of adjustment. Like TRB says, it's all relative.

If you have all of your wires on the cap and you don't want to change their position, then you have to pull the distributor out and install it so the rotor Iines up with the number one wire. The distributor gear is a helical cut gear, so it rotates a few degrees as it engages the camshaft helical gear..... so sometimes you have to pull and re-install to line it up with #1 wire terminal on the cap. It's a little bit of pull and replace to get it exact or close enough as above.. You'll still need to check it with the timing light, but you won't have to mess with the wires if you do it this way.

Take your time. This is the clean and simple work and being slow and methodical is a major bonus. Anyone who can make masterful videos of breaking ski ropes with good soundtracks can do this better than I can. Working on these old boats and cars brings me back to high school days with muscle cars and DIY all the time!
LaurelLakeSkier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaurelLakeSkier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 11:36pm

. . Then install dizzy. Rotate so that the rotor points directly towards a post. Install #1 plug wire on that post. .

If it is installed, how do you rotate it, or are you saying rotate as you install to line it up?
How do you line up to a post....you don't know where a post is with the cap off.

You'll be able to rotate the distributor as long as you haven't tightened the hold-down bolt. If you set the cap in place after noting the direction that the rotor points, you'll be able to tell about where the post should be positioned and rotate the entire distributor as needed - you're only trying to get close enough so that you can connect a timing light. As Tim said, once the #1 plug wire is in place, follow around the distributor cap to connect the rest of the plug wires based on the firing order and distributor rotation.
The world is full of youth—what we need is a fountain of smart!
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-17-2016 at 11:52pm

65 as far as I know. Never said anything about 1/2. 327 Has a cool 1965 vintage license plate on it. He also has a T-bucket that he made.

Cool. It looked like it had the BB hood on it + the side pipes. Reminded me of the rare 65 1/2. The L78 optioned Vette is worth around $100K+ these days.

Didn't mean to get off topic fellas.

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 1:05am
Originally posted by LaurelLakeSkier LaurelLakeSkier wrote:

You'll be able to rotate the distributor as long as you haven't tightened the hold-down bolt. If you set the cap in place after noting the direction that the rotor points, you'll be able to tell about where the post should be positioned and rotate the entire distributor as needed - you're only trying to get close enough so that you can connect a timing light. As Tim said, once the #1 plug wire is in place, follow around the distributor cap to connect the rest of the plug wires based on the firing order and distributor rotation.

Exactly. Trying to get the rotor to point in a certain direction upon install is difficult. The shaft will rotate as it slides into place due to the angle cut gear. You'll be fighting the gear mesh and the oil pump engagement enough without having to worry about rotor position during install. Once it's down and seated, rotor position is fixed but you can rotate the distributor body around to face whatever direction you'd like. Throw the cap on quickly to see where the posts fall, then rotate to match rotor position. Install plug wires.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 5:48am
Great info TRBenj, I might add that normally the dist won't sit all the way down until the oil pump shaft enters the end of the dist. Probably have to "bump" the engine over to get it to sit down the last 3/8" or so. That can be done after the cap is installed. The whole process is a lot easier than it sounds. Don't force anything, it will fall into place. Good luck
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 6:32am
Larry,
Have you made a decision on what to do with your distributor? Rebuild? New? DUI? Also, don't worry about the install. As indicated from the family response, you'll have plenty of help.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-18-2016 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Great info TRBenj, I might add that normally the dist won't sit all the way down until the oil pump shaft enters the end of the dist. Probably have to "bump" the engine over to get it to sit down the last 3/8" or so. That can be done after the cap is installed. The whole process is a lot easier than it sounds. Don't force anything, it will fall into place. Good luck

+1.

I had no issues when installing mine. I got everything lined up fairly easily during the dizzy swap. Bumping the engine worked great to seat the dizzy all the way.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic