Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

PCM 351 Trouble

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
kgodfrey3398 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgodfrey3398 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PCM 351 Trouble
    Posted: March-20-2016 at 10:49pm
I have a 1985 Ski Nautique and I have run into some interesting issues. The first time I took it out on the water, it ran fine for a little bit then bogged down and began to skip at higher rpms then quit. I could not get it back started after that. Once in the shop, we realized the electronic ignition module went out so we replaced it and it cranked right up. I took it out again and it ran great for about 15 minutes then had the same problem. Once the engine cooled it cranked right back up so I could get it to the ramp (almost to the ramp; it died again once the engine heated back up).

I called a knowledgeable person on the matter and he said to move all wires on the resistor block (coming from coil and distributor) to the right (positive) side. It cranked right up and I idled around for about ten minutes with no issues and the engine ran great at high rpms when out of gear, which it did not do when the problems were occurring.

Question: Will keeping those wires on one side of the resistor block cause any major issues? Also, why did that fix it?

8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-20-2016 at 11:29pm
Kirt,
I feel more information is needed regarding the "electronic ignition module". Is it a conversion? Is it designed to run on a ballast resistor? Some are and some are not. Moving wires to the right side of the resister isn't telling us much. There's no "positive" side on the resistor. Both sides are positive. One side is a nominal 12 volts and the other is a nominal 9 volts. Get the VOM (volt Ohm meter) our and get some readings.

What did you end up doing with your dash panel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
kgodfrey3398 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgodfrey3398 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 1:11am
All of the wires from the coil have been run to the resistor and I believe are set on the 12 volt side now. It is the electronic conversion.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 8:07am
Kirt,
Many have had nothing but problems with the EI conversions. I'm not a fan of them at all and have recommended switching back to a point set many times. For any reliability, the directions on wiring for the specific conversion must be followed. This is for both the conversion as well as the coil reliability Who did the actual conversion and why? I suggest putting the points back in or at least make sure the EI is wired correctly. I asked why the conversion was done since there are really no gains with them over a point set. Sometimes they are done by some who believe the manufacturers advertising hype on performance gains or some who don't know how to adjust dwell on a point set. Points have gotten us around for many years. I'd put the points back in! Who's brand is it?

What did you end up doing with your dash panel?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 10:53am
Sounds like fuel starvation is also occuring - crap in the antisiphon valve- (within the tank outlet's hose barb) and/or cone screen in the tank's dip tube assembly.

As been said, all sorts of igniters are out there all have different setups and wiring conditions depending upon the coil resistance. Hopefully you still have the instructions.

"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 11:36am
Originally posted by GottaSki GottaSki wrote:

coil resistance. Hopefully you still have the instructions.

desertskier View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertskier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-21-2016 at 1:41pm
The different methods of connecting electronic ignition modules was discussed in length in a previous post. Dig through it and you will probably find the instructions for the unit installed in your boat.

Ignition problem post
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic