Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Transmission Question

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Transmission Question
    Posted: March-23-2016 at 12:14am
I am considering a repower on my 1968 Correct Craft Ski Nautique.

Question: The current engine is a Chrysler 318. Will the transmission fit a Chevy 350?

Terry
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 12:45am
Yes it will if it's a Velvet drive and using the correct bellhousing. Everyone is going to tell you to just rebuild the Chrysler though
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 6:33am
Terry,
I have to ask why. You asked questions about the 318 for your stringer job so I assume you have it and it is the original engine. Does it run? Are you aware it is a RR (reverse rotation)? A RR is very important for a 1st generation Nautique. Please tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 9:02am
And it's a Chrysler! Ya gotta keep it!   
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 9:11am
Originally posted by fanofccfan fanofccfan wrote:

And it's a Chrysler!   

Bill,
Slight thread jack but what did you ever do with the turbo modification? Unless I missed it, I haven't seen an update on the engine.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 7:32pm
pete--all the turbo parts (intake, logs, turbos etc.) were loaded into the backseat/trunk of chris mars car a few summers ago. he somehow got them to joe fennessy who is supposed to be building himself a go fast turboed 440. now that you brought up, it is probably a good time to ask him of the progress!   
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-23-2016 at 7:35pm
again sorry about the thread jack.

pete---- I just got the horns to work.....you were expecting a turbo motor build from me?   
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 1:45pm
In regards to a twin turbo 440 boat – I now have all the parts to create a pretty sweet marauder with a twin turbo 440 chrysler. However those parts are currently spread across three boats and two shops. Unfortunately the timeline for that project has too many variables to calculate at this time. Heck I need to build a new truck engine before I can even get all those parts in the same place at the same time.

Already good advice here to the original poster, yes a 350 will fit with the appropriate motor mounts etc - minimally you would need a complete 350 marine engine to make it economically feasible, ideally one that is reverse rotation so you don't have to switch prop direction, but consider keeping the 318 as it is a pretty good marine package and correct for that boat .
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
DrCC View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrCC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 5:43pm
Joe,   Is there any possible way that me and others could feast our eyes upon this Marauder via some photos ???

And I too must deeply apologize for my part in such thread jackery.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 8:12pm
Originally posted by DrCC DrCC wrote:

Joe,   Is there any possible way that me and others could feast our eyes upon this Marauder via some photos ???

And I too must deeply apologize for my part in such thread jackery.

+1

I'd love to see what's going on. TT440 is gonna be one scary beast.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 10:07pm
So Terry, looks like the message so far in your thread is "don't swap the 318 out for a 350, keep it original, unless of course you swap it out for a 440 twin turbo".

Just kidding. Curious, like others, why the desire to swap from a 318 to 350?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 11:27pm
Stick with the 318..... But if you're looking for more power there's a lot of options with the 318 and its relatives from smaller displacements through many enhancements. It would be relatively easy to go with a 340, 360, or even bigger block. Lots of very interesting cylinder head options like W2 family and others too with larger valves and offset rockers. Here's a. Video of the fun end of that Thought:

chrysler small block fun
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:05am
On the contrary Pete it's not as simple as it is with the Chevy's or Fords. Not being a Chrysler guy I don't know the specifics but it's something with the intakes and oil pans and I believe 2 different engine families. Once again not positive but Zack,Joe or Reid would know for sure. Really a boat like that,a healthy 318 would be fine
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-25-2016 at 12:18am
Of course I'm not serous Gary, my brother and I just used to race a 340 Dart swinger bracket racer and am only trying encouraging the bad behavior! There are some pretty hot Chevy and Ford powered 16-17 foot boats on this forum and wouldn't want anyone to get the idea that's not a possibility with the little Chrysler.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic