NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Pcm 40 1:1 woes

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pcm 40 1:1 woes
    Posted: March-22-2016 at 2:50pm
OK, I have a non correct craft boat with a pcm 40 1:1 transmission... I know I know..

The boat has 1200 hours and runs great with good compression. (it's a 92)
The transmission spins forward when in neutral but I can stop it by putting pressure on the flange with my boot. (propshaft is disconnected) it's seems like it takes a little more friction to stop than it should however. There also seems to be some gear noise when the tranny is put in reverse whereas forward is totally silent.
Is this normal and if so, is this tranny worth fixing the front seal that is leaking? I'm not too interested in totally rebuilding this thing given the cost vs sourcing a good velvet.
I have a velvet sitting on the bench I could drop in it, but would like to keep the pcm 40 if I can.
What do you guys think?   
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2016 at 3:20pm
Drain the fluid and pull the screen if it has one and lets see what that shows.   

You didnt say how long you had it and what changes in sound you are hearing.
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2016 at 3:51pm
The boat is new to me so I don't really have anything to compare to. The po said his mechanic thought it needed a new transmission because it was stuck in reverse. After looking into it I think that was due to linkage being out of sorts because it shifts fine with the cable disconnected. I'll drain it tonight and see what it looks like.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2016 at 4:47pm
Ethan,
It sounds like a classic case of a dirty neutral but, with no load on it's output, it doesn't take very much to spin them. The common cause of a dirty neutral is warped clutch plates typically from an overheat. In your case, it just may be from the no load and a slight drag between the plates. I highly doubt you will find any contaminants in the bottom of that case. Do smell the ATF checking if it smells burnt.

The reverse noise is simply the planetary gears spinning.

Sounds like the PO had a fantastic "mechanic"!! I wonder if he worked out of his back yard?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Eether View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eether Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-22-2016 at 10:19pm
Ha, don't knock the backyard mechanics to hard Pete, I know some pretty good ones! The fluid doesn't smell burned fwiw.
At this point I think I'll just see what it does in the lake this weekend. I needed to replace the cutless bearing, and if the tranny needed to come out right away it looked easier to push the propshaft forward out of the way. Pulling it out wasn't too bad anyway. Double tapered shafts are nice!
t.franscioni View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t.franscioni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-24-2016 at 8:28am
I just rebuilt my PCM 40 1:1 tranny. Had never done it before so I bought a rebuild manual, a clutch plate kit and a seal gasket kit from nautique parts and ski dim. Kind of hard for me to make sense of the manual just by reading it but once I started opening up the tranny it all made sense. All in all it was a very easy process to install the new clutch plates and new gaskets and seals. Prior to rebuilding my prop would turn in neutral also and the manual said what the other fellow above said which was worn or warped clutch plates. At 1200 hours I would imagine that is common to have to rebuild your tranny. Mine was almost 700 hours and out of a 14 year old boat.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic