Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Replacing hoses and ignition

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Replacing hoses and ignition
    Posted: April-08-2016 at 8:45pm
Getting ready to reinstall engine after completion of stringer work.
Running a Chrysler 318 (1968 model)...do you recommend a particular distributor and coil using today's technology?
Many thanks.
Terry
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 10:43pm
Terry,
Great that you completed the stringers. Did you replace them the full length as recommended? Pictures would be fantastic. I'm also happy to hear that you're putting the 318 back in and not re powering. What's wrong with your existing distributor? You still have it correct?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 11:24pm
Full stringer completed. Getting ready to smooth out the bilge, prime, and coat. Replaced one of the deck sections with new marine plywood (cut out...install later).
The reason I inquired about the distributor (which is operational) is whether or not to install one of the new electronic models. Not being a mechanic, my concern is: can you make it too hot? i.e., incorrect distributor and coil.
I'm wanting to maintain simplicity yet fully functional.
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-08-2016 at 11:25pm
One other question: while I have the motor on the floor of my shop, should I go ahead and replace the water pump and fuel pump? I already plan to replace the impeller...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-09-2016 at 6:35am
Terry,
Unless other performance modifications are done to the engine, you won't gain anything with changing the ignition system. I suggest keeping the original.

With the water pump (circulation pump) and fuel pump being an easy change with the engine in the boat, you could drop it in and see how it runs first. Also, if you have the engine on some kind of cradle out of the boat, you can crank it up now and see how it runs. Was it running before you pulled it out?

With the RWP, (raw water pump), how old are the impellers? If more than several years or unknown, putting in new impellers (it's a dual cavity IE: two impellers) is a good idea.
Here's a good source for impellers especially because they list the serial numbers and years of the 318 engines.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
terryd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote terryd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-12-2016 at 10:41pm
Many thanks for the helpful replies.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic