Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351 PCM died

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351 PCM died
    Posted: April-15-2016 at 11:44pm
Picked up my boat from storage today all clean and nice....ready to go for the summer...and dropped it right in the water. What happened when I went up to full speed? It died on me. Doh!

Its so early in the season here that there were only 2 other boats in the water at the time and luckily I could call my neighbor to tow me home.

Anyways, after charging the battery a bit more it will rev when I turn the key but won't turn over. I am thinking to start by changing the plugs and wires because its been a while, but any ideas on why it would die so suddenly at full speed?
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-15-2016 at 11:44pm
The boat is a 1992 Nautique Excel with the PCM 351 enging
bwinn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bwinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 12:03am
Sounds like your battery is low and cranking the engine slow. Charge the battery 100% and check your charging system with a multimeter. Running voltage should be over 13 volts at idle I would guess.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 10:41am
Originally posted by airden23 airden23 wrote:

Anyways, after charging the battery a bit more it will rev when I turn the key but won't turn over.

Matt,
How about a better explanation to avoid any misunderstanding?
"rev" IE: the engine is running and the RPM's increase?
"turn the key but won't turn over" IE: the starter engages but then the engine won't crank/turn over?
There are times when people use different terms in different parts of the country.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 11:06am
You may want to clean the battery terminals & make sure they are tight.   Do you have the protec? If so, they are prone to failure. Either way, the next step is to check for spark,

.http://www.correctcraftfan.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=37488&title=co">spark
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 12:28pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=airden23] Anyways, after charging the battery a bit more it will rev when I turn the key but won't turn over.

Pete, It sounds like he is saying that the starter spins over but the Bendix drive has not engaged the ring gear. Leans towards low voltage. Especially after a winters sleep. I would start with a battery load test. Perhaps another case for a BatteryTender
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

[QUOTE=airden23] Anyways, after charging the battery a bit more it will rev when I turn the key but won't turn over.

Pete, It sounds like he is saying that the starter spins over but the Bendix drive has not engaged the ring gear. Leans towards low voltage. Especially after a winters sleep. I would start with a battery load test. Perhaps another case for a BatteryTender

Duane,
Yes, that was one of my thoughts but the Bendix could be engaging and then the engine isn't turning over??? We'll have to see if Matt can explain it clearer.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 1:28pm
Hi - sorry for the poor description, what I meant was that the starter engages but it won't turn over.. Have it on a trickle charger for the day, we'll see if that helps, will report back
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 1:40pm
How old is the battery? Did you leave it in the boat all winter? Did you charge it at all during the layup? Worst case - new battery. Charge it up,do you have a regular charger? Remove the wires and clean both terminals and cables if that does not help,have it tested. If it fails the test make sure you get a starting battery not a deep cycle.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

make sure you get a starting battery not a deep cycle.

Matt,
I've been lacking in my duties not mentioning the deep cycle! Hopefully the battery in question isn't a deep.
Are you using one of these to clean the posts and terminals?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 3:25pm
I did that so you'd post to get the count up
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
airden23 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote airden23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-16-2016 at 8:48pm
She runs! I got it started after trickle charging for a while. What a relief. I will double check the connections and what type of battery it is
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic