NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

ignition timing 351w carb

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ignition timing 351w carb
    Posted: April-26-2016 at 1:24pm
I am finding conflicting reports regarding timing. Range of 6 to 10 degrees.

Engine is 351w, from the 80"s. Holley Carb.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 1:27pm
Set your all in timing at around 32 degrees. That will perform way better than setting the timing at 6-10 at idle. Check your idle timing after you set the all in it should be between 10 and 12 pending the dizzy and condition. Make sure all the advance parts are lubed and moving freely.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 2:06pm
Good idea, i have an advance timing light, now just have to remember how to use it.   

I did read that the prestolite electronic ignition dist should be at 10 per skidim.
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2016 at 3:02pm
The way the light works is advance the light to the spec you desire then move the dizzy to match up the tdc mark on the damper to the 0 degree mark on the timing cover. Easy peasy. Use a black sharpie or a white paint pen to make a mark at the tdc spot on the damper makes life a lot easier.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic