Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stuck Manifold bolt solution

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mbshaw88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mbshaw88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stuck Manifold bolt solution
    Posted: April-27-2016 at 4:28pm
Bolt was rusted to the manifold and the hex was completely rounded out after multiple attempts. I decided to make it my bitch!

ground a steel rod to fit inside the hex recess, welded it to the bolt, and a nut welded to the end. One zap with an impact wrench and she was free.

Engines are so much easier to work on when they are on a pallet on a welding table .

Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 6:16pm
Removed many that way. The heat of welding does as much as anything.   Like your "Kant Twist" clamps too.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2016 at 7:14pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Like your "Kant Twist" clamps too.

Duane,
Matt must have borrowed them from a tool and die maker!!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-28-2016 at 3:31pm
i had a rusted head bolt that was so bad it was completely deformed. I got a pin type socket and removed it with ease.   
HondaF1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HondaF1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-29-2016 at 10:40pm
have removed a bunch of these on my gt40. I like the idea but I am concerned with mig welding on EFI engine. Any input would be appreciate.
malibud View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote malibud Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-02-2016 at 9:55am
I always unplug the ECU and battery when welding on car or boat
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-03-2016 at 4:37am
An alternative used by the tear down guys in Engine Shops to remove stuck bolts and plugs. The engine must be drained of coolant. Take a torch and heat the area around the bolt you want to remove. Hit the area while very hot with a little wax. Let the torch pull the wax into the threads just like plumbers do when soldering copper pipe.
The wax will let you spin the stuck;/rusted bolt right out.   Just like with copper pipes when you do this there can't be any moisture or it will not work.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic