NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Basic Kid Skiing questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
Author
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:46pm
straight is fine. they are all pretty basic and universal.

$600 boom? pretty sure it was clear he wasn't going out and buying all this gear at retail price. You should be able to find plenty at $200.

3-eventers always seem to shy away from the boom, i find it odd
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-20-2016 at 1:50pm
I concur on the tail weights!
These wide poly skids have a lot of displacement, and getting oriented is more challenging for a youngster. It can make all the difference

Had made my own by melting lead in tuna cans, then removing and painting. Nice to see them available from HO!

Boom driving is another challenge for techniques and safety you can overcome, just recognizing the hazards, we'll get you through all that.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 11:55am
I'm not saying boom is a bad tool... guess I am just saying if barefooting is not in your future, don't waste anymore time and money.. just throw some skis on the kids and pull them out of the water LOL.

I find that more times than not... they just ski!

dwouncmd View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwouncmd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by AAM196 AAM196 wrote:

I'm not saying boom is a bad tool... guess I am just saying if barefooting is not in your future, don't waste anymore time and money.. just throw some skis on the kids and pull them out of the water LOL.

I done it both ways, and both ways work fine.

As has been said before, connected skis with weighted tails make a huge difference (I used a heavy set of galvanized hinges I had laying around, srcewed them to the tail and wrapped them in closed cell foam).

I think doing dry-land prep helps a lot. I have them sit, assume a knees bent arms straight position sitting on the dock without skis, then show with a handle in their hands them what tension on the rope feels like, then hold the knees bent arms straight for few seconds, then slowly stand with tension on the rope. I do this a few times until they seem to be comfortable, then go to the boom if I have it, or long line if I don't.

If doing long line and you have someone else who can drive, jump in the water with the little ones so they feel less scared and help them with their position in the water until the pull starts.

You are right, the kids will frequently just pop right out of the water...many are so surprised they are up that they immediately fall down. Since you can't stop on a dime, drivers/spotters have to be attentive so you don't drag them, and it is good to teach to let go when they fall so they don't submarine (the nickname my daughter earned from her brothers because she would not let go when she fell). I make it a point to stay positive and compliment them on each accomplishment, even if it is just getting in the water or getting up for a second, before I try to coach them. I try to give just one or two thoughts to focus on at a time (arms straight, knees bent, don't try to stand up/push with you legs too soon, keep your head and eyes up, look down fall down, etc).

89 SN
<a href="http://www.correctcraftfan.com/diaries/details.asp?ID=6567&sort=&pagenum=1" rel="nofollow">7
relake View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote relake Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 12:48pm
As a new boat owner, both wife and I did many practice dry runs on hole shots and pick up dry runs. Just this past weekend on fathers day, I helped both my 9 y/o and 11 y/o daughters get up on skis. They were on junior skis with a binding to keep them together. I gave them both instructions and stayed in the water right beside them.....ski tips up, arms out, knees bent, rope between your skis, stay squatting down when you pop out of the water, let the boat pull you and don't fight your skis.

Really the biggest problem was keeping their skis orientated while waiting to get pulled up, kind of tough with them bound together for any length of time.......

Both girls were up on their first try, talk about a proud dad on fathers day. It was so much fun skiing, albeit a short distance, next to them and see their smiles........My point is, kids are really tough and learn quickly, just let them experience it on their own, keep it simple for them
bkhallpass View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-21-2016 at 1:08pm

Been my theory for over thirty years as well. Always worked out fine.

But, have seen some great, and rapid results on boom as well.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 10:52pm

http://seattle.craigslist.org/kit/spo/5644016721.html

I'm sure they would take less with cash in hand. You'll be able to sell for whatever you paid.

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:11pm
Amigo Jr.s in Portland (along some other equipment). Really good kids ski/combo.

BKH

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/for/5646383503.html
Livin' the Dream

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-23-2016 at 11:15pm
And $30 for a connelly set with the stabilizer bar.

http://kpr.craigslist.org/spo/5590525202.html

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 4:32pm
Normal craigslist people[:0]   I have emailed on several this week and gotten no response.    I did pickup a pair of Jobe virutue 67's to add to the collection, but haven't been able to connect on a kids set yet.   There is a radar set near me with the connection bar and a rope for $75... more than I wanted to spend, but I may look into those too.   

The barefoot bar from Oregon was a no go, no response from the seller, so I'll have to continue to keep an eye out for that too.     
boat parts from NP should arrive today, and I am waiting for my distributor to ship from summit, so I still have a little bit of time.

Thanks for the Heads up's BKH!
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-24-2016 at 5:23pm
Offer the guy $50... get the skis and take the kids skiing... trying to deal with sellers on Craigslist will drive you crazy for sure!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bkhallpass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-26-2016 at 3:26am
http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bpo/5651721499.html

BKH
Livin' the Dream

Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:10pm
Thanks Brian,
   I emailed on those and also on the HO trainers from last week.   I got a response on the HO's and am working to connect with him. I am guessing early this week I'll have a set of trainers
harddock View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harddock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2016 at 2:52pm
Equipment: Basic skis and ropes can be bought at yard sales, Craigslist, Sport stores. Specialty skis slalom, trick etc can be found both as new, leftovers and used @ ski-it-again.com
Booms are nice for learning but not necessary. Patience and keeping it fun are most beneficial. When they are done, they are done. Try again tomorrow!

Floaty key chain floats (foam) in bright colors zip tied near yoke can make the handle end of things easy to find. We have one on pylon end for use with trick release. Makes finding line in water a snap!
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 10:16am
I didn't see it mentioned so I'll throw this in. IF a small fishing boat with a small outboard is available, they're great for training the kids. I feel they aren't as intimidating as a large ski boat nor as loud with the rumble coming from some of our boats. I learned on the fishing boat, my kids learned on it and plenty of my friends did as well.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-28-2016 at 2:16pm
I am now shopping for a helmet or two to add to our collection of gear after needing to take the daughter to the ER for stitches Sunday when the wakeboard somehow hit her in the head during a crash. As the skids start getting to where they are trying to catch air you might consider adding a helmet too.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 4:57pm
Good Idea on the fishing boat,   I don't have access to one, or I might try that.   My kids are super excited about the SN though, the middle and youngest helped me replace the blower last night and get the hoses off of the Invertaflow. I think they might be disappointed if we went to the lake without our boat

- Rebel,   I like the idea of helmets, I think we'll wait a year or two though and see how well they progress

Meeting up with the trainers guy tonight...   sometime's CL is just more work than others.

baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 5:58pm
Originally posted by rebel skier rebel skier wrote:

I am now shopping for a helmet or two to add to our collection of gear after needing to take the daughter to the ER for stitches Sunday when the wakeboard somehow hit her in the head during a crash. As the skids start getting to where they are trying to catch air you might consider adding a helmet too.

Yep, Its called the scorpion effect. Kids aver very flexible and usually are riding larger boards, 'cause that's whats available. When they eat it, the board comes from behind and catches them in the back of the head. Staples time..:( When you see my boat you'll see four helmets hanging on the tower, pick one that fits and wear it. If you are <18 years old you either wear a helmet or you don't ride. Funny how all the kids are trained to want one now. They'll see their buddy case it and all say: "that's why we wear helmets!". I like the liquid force helmets. You can get them on Amazon pretty cheap. My local cable park has them on the rack for the same price as Amazon though. They are actually triple 8 skater buckets with water friendly liners. They have the shape that kids are used to from skating and are pretty comfy and light. I personally have a more expensive Protech because I want ear flaps. Took an ear drum pop once on a failed Railey and don't want another one.
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
rebel skier View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rebel skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 6:11pm
Picked up 2 liquid force icon's yesterday from Sun and Ski, on sale. I think I need a couple of smaller ones too, but can't put it on my daughters head right now.

That is exactly what happened and I have since learned that term "scorpion effect". She was riding her board at the time, which I believe is the right size for her.

She seems determined to get back on the board, which is good.

Although I really want to get her up on a slalom ski.

Dreamer, don't let this talk scare you. 10 year of boating with the kids and 1 ER visit. That is more than worth the memories.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 6:41pm
True that Dreamer...Get them up and ride.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-29-2016 at 7:39pm
Thread jack alert:
Hey Rebel... Don't give up on the ski dream. My oldest is 15. He started on a wakeboard at 6 and never learned slalom. He is pretty damn good on the board. At 13 years old he comes walking in the driveway with a beat down old Jobe slalom somebody had set on the curb (that he decided to drag home) and says "Dad I think its time I learned to ski". First pull and he was skiing. Fast forward one year and he spent his birthday with JBear and Eddie learning to barefoot. All things come my friend... The Universe finds its own balance.
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 12:04am
wakeskate! Very fun but everytime you bite it... know where the board goes! LOL
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 7:33am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Good Idea on the fishing boat,   I don't have access to one, or I might try that.   

Another plus a small fishing boat has for training the kids is maneuverability. With the many go arounds you will get with the process, the time is drastically cut so the kids patience will hold longer reducing the frustration they may have. The other technique that's great is to have the kids in shallow water just deep enough to have the back of the trainers touch the bottom and a second older person standing next to them holding their position and instructing. Yes, with the kids in the shallow water will break the 100' slow no wake rule from shore that many states have but I can't imagine any warden anywhere that will hassle you.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
AAM196 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AAM196 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 12:28pm
LOL... add small fishing boat to your list of things to purchase!

A few days ago taught another 8 and 10 yr old (kids friends)... both holding on to traditional ski line with just the bar attached to keep skis together. took three tries for 10 yr old and the 8 year old boy got up first try. No weights, no boom...

I am telling you, strap skis on the kids feet and apply just the slightest bit of throttle with a little positive encouragement.

No need to overthink this.
quinner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote quinner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 12:49pm
PWC works much better then a fishing boat for teaching the little ones IMO, particularly if you are using a two handled line. Not necessary but great if you have access to one.

Helmut is great for the back/side of the noggin but do also teach the kids to cross their arms in front of their head/face on falls until everything stops moving, we had a trip to urgent care a few summers ago from a board to the nose.
skutsch View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote skutsch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 1:08pm
So another technique (the process I am currently using). Put the ski's (assuming you find a pair that are connected, I like the O'brien set up with the hard bar) on and tow them around on the grass (you have to have a sold connecting so you can attach a rope to pull the skis).

Once the child is comfortable, take two adults (or older children) and walk out from the beech 25 or 50 feet. Practice getting in the start position (arms straight, knees to chest, tips up, rope between the ski's). Have the assistance hold the learning child, when the child is comfortable, have them yell "Hit it" and then someone runs up the yard (away from the lake) pulling the rope, and the child then "Skis to the beach." I like this because there is no noise, no big boats, nothing scary - just fun. YOu as the driver also realize how little is required to get a little person skiing. This does require setting up the ski rope combination so their is equal tension on the rope and the handle.

Once you have done this a couple of times, it is time to go behind the boat. Attach a handle at the 25 to 30 foot mark, and repeat the above, with assistants, but now have the childs parent hold the other end of the handle in the back of the boat. Typically I have them kneel on the back seat, they also must keep their arms straight. When the kid yells hit, you pull them up with VERY little power. You probably won't even get the boat on plane. Couple key points on why you have the parent hold the rope. If the child falls and panics (and doesn't let go), the parent can let go of the rope - preventing the drag through the water. At the end of the run, you can shut down the boat and the parent can typically hand over hand pulling the rope, ski them right to the platform. Always seems to give the kids more confidence, if they are physically connected at all time (via the rope)

Now they have "skiied the grass," had 3 or 4 attempts "Skiing the beach" and after 3 or 4 times behind the boat are probably ready to ditch the tied skies and can have the rope tied to the boat. This is often the point I transition to the boom if they stuggle with the skis.

Remember their are only 3 Rules when water skiing:

1.) ARMS STRAIGHT
2) If you fall LET GO OF THE ROPE
3) Skier must always HAVE A SMILE on their face

If any of these rules are missing we stop, discuss and wait until it is corrected before we proceed. The most important thing is to have all the patience in the world and HAVE FUN!
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 1:13pm
Take the fins off for the grass skiing...

GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 1:29pm
regarding sand or grass skiing, Just be careful to not stop pulling suddenly, the abrupt stop of the skis causes their forward momentum to fall forward, my girl hit her knee quare on the wingnut for the tie bar,
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
Chevy350 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chevy350 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 1:46pm

I am telling you, strap skis on the kids feet and apply just the slightest bit of throttle with a little positive encouragement.

No need to overthink this.

I'm with you on this. My dad told me what to do and said good luck. Got up first try and skied around the lake twice, then bit it pretty hard.
1972 Mustang
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-30-2016 at 2:31pm
We have ski's with a connecting bar and a two-handle rope! (HO Hotshots) Thanks BKH for keeping an eye out so now we need to get the boat in the water.    I pulled the ski's out to show the kids last night and they both were giddy with excitement, although nervous about the falling part.     The two year old started putting his face in the water at swimming lessons yesterday, so he is well on his way, and will be wanting to follow the big kids on their skiing journey. We'll probably try the grass skiing method to help them get the hang of the balancing, both kids can roller-skate, so I assume that the balance is going to be similar.
HW - good point on the fins, I'll have to have a peek at the bottom and taking them off.
Skutch - good rules, especially the smile one... if they are not having fun, we've missed the point.

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <123>
  Share Topic