Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Possible Carb Issue?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
rschweller View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rschweller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Possible Carb Issue?
    Posted: July-07-2016 at 3:28pm
I have a 1979 Ski Nautique Ford 351W. This weekend I had, what I think, were some issues with the carb. The carb is a Holley and original from what I can tell. It would start up great While in neutral I would give it some gas. Engine sounded like it had trouble getting rpm's up to where throttle was. RPM's would go up and down without me moving the throttle. This would happen for about 30 seconds to a minute. Then would come like a backfire noise from the carb and a little smoke would puff out of carb. To me it sounded like it was choking on its own fuel. Not sure if it is a vacuum leak or what. I wanted to turn to all the experts here. I greatly appreciate any feedback.

Rob
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 5:21pm
Choke plate open or closed? Leaky boosters?
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-07-2016 at 6:33pm
Also check that timing is advancing correctly.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2016 at 1:24am
Sometimes a good squirt of carb clean on the air bleeds can save the day and get you back out on the tube.

1988 Barefoot nautique-454
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-08-2016 at 6:22pm
Have you done anything to it since the last time out. (Plugs, wires, dist cap)???
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic