Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

fire?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fire?
    Posted: July-09-2016 at 9:30pm
okay gurus, i just removed &,cleaned the fuel tank, rebuilt the holley carb, installed a new starter.solenoid, the engine turns over but will not run. it acted like it wanted to once or twice , but ive got fire to the coil and out the coil wire to the electronic dis. but no fire at the plug wire end. by the way this is a 1980 PCM 351. thanks
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 10:37pm
Do you have points and condenser or electronic ignition? How is the cap and rotor looking?
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 10:46pm
Do you have correct firing order. Remember its reverse rotation.

Was it running before all this work was done or nothing
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-09-2016 at 11:00pm
the engine has electronic ignition. the boat ran fine before i did the fuel system repairs.I cleaned the inside of the cap and cleaned the rotor button also.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 3:45am
Start with the things you have touched first,    I suspect that in the cap and rotor cleaning, something is not making contact.   Could be that 2 things have gone bad at once.   Electronic ignition is known to fail, so while I hate throwing parts at things, you may have just experienced a failure.   Failure can happen all of a sudden with those things, and I don't believe there is much of a way to test them.

roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 8:45am
what is the correct way to remove and replace the distributor? i have a spare of the same kind in my Ski Supreme. thanks
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 10:30am
Don't pull it,a Ski Supreme engine turns the opposite direction and will not fit.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 10:49am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

Don't pull it,a Ski Supreme engine turns the opposite direction and will not fit.

Ford distributors turn CCW looking down on it. BOTH engines Just need the proper gear installed
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 10:53am
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

Electronic ignition is known to fail, so while I hate throwing parts at things, you may have just experienced a failure.   Failure can happen all of a sudden with those things, and I don't believe there is much of a way to test them.

Richard,
The EI conversions are always suspect to failure. Do you have a means of checking for spark such as a timing light? If you don't have one use the old back yard trick by removing a plug, grounding it and looking for spark while cranking the engine. A better static method I like to use without having to crank the engine is to remove one of the plug wires from the distributor with the spark plug . Plug it directly into the coil. Remove the - ground wire from the coil to the distributor. Put a jumper wire on the - coil. With the spark plug grounded, turn on the ignition switch. Intermittently ground the jumper wire looking for spark at the spark plug. You should get spark at the plug when the jumper is removed from grounding it. If you have spark, and didn't when the EI conversion was supposed to intermittently grounding the coil, Trash the EI conversion!! Go back to the good old points that WORK!!

I always ask why was the EI conversion done?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 10:56am

Failure can happen all of a sudden with those things, and I don't believe there is much of a way to test them.

Google it. Mallory shows test procedure. Other makes may do the same. You can check the coil easily. If it is good then it leads you downstream to the module. Process of elimination.
Later on you post that you have two distributors. Same module?? May be able to just exchange them and not the whole distributor.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 11:04am
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Electronic ignition is known to fail, so while I hate throwing parts at things, you may have just experienced a failure.   Failure can happen all of a sudden with those things, and I don't believe there is much of a way to test them.

Richard,
The EI conversions are always suspect to failure. Do you have a means of checking for spark such as a timing light? If you don't have one use the old back yard trick by removing a plug, grounding it and looking for spark while cranking the engine. A better static method I like to use without having to crank the engine is to remove one of the plug wires from the distributor with the spark plug . Plug it directly into the coil. Remove the - ground wire from the coil to the distributor. Put a jumper wire on the - coil. With the spark plug grounded, turn on the ignition switch. Intermittently ground the jumper wire looking for spark at the spark plug. You should get spark at the plug when the jumper is removed from grounding it. If you have spark, and didn't when the EI conversion was supposed to intermittently grounding the coil, Trash the EI conversion!! Go back to the good old points that WORK!!

Very good advice Pete. Being an EI fan I have to disagree with going back to points, but we are allowed our own opinions.

By the way, have you looked into a conversion to go back to points in your SUV??
        1978 Mustang (modified)
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 11:17am
you are correct about the gear direction on the two distributors! i decided to change the modules. the distance is to far away compared to the original though . will put back to original and do the test you all mentioned. thanks.
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:04pm
my daughter is so made the boat is down!no spark at the plug after the jumper wire was grounded on and off. what does this mean?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:11pm
Originally posted by roofer roofer wrote:

my daughter is so made the boat is down!no spark at the plug after the jumper wire was grounded on and off. what does this mean?

Richard,
"downing"? Do you mean showing? If it is showing spark at the plug, then it's the EI conversion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:15pm
there is no spark at the plug after i take off the jumper wire against the manifold
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:20pm
Do you have power to the coil confirmed with a VOM (volt Ohm meter). You have a plug wire and spark plug directly hooked to the coil? The spark plug has a good ground? The jumper off the - terminal of the coil has a good ground?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
roofer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roofer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:32pm
12.1 volts to the coil,plug wire with plug attached grounded to the manifold, i used the same manifold to ground the jumper wire off of the coil ground.
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

By the way, have you looked into a conversion to go back to points in your SUV??

Duane I did it Back in the day my wife had bought a new 79 MGB. Lucas had put all the electronics into the distributor. They must have known it was a problem because for the last model year of 80 they moved the electronics to the firewall. Since it was a daily driver I took the points distributor out of my 59 MGA to get back on the road. Later I just bought a new points unit and used it. Until recently once the smoke is let out of Lucas electrics you are done,but now there is an active parts source

69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 5:05pm
Richard,
Sounds like a bad coil but here's some youtubes on testing to make sure. Also, get an Ohm reading off the primary winding of the coil. Is it open (infinity)? 12.1 volts to the coil? The ballast resistor is by passed? Is the coil you have internally resisted?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 5:08pm
Gary,
All Lucas electrics emit the smoke! Remember, I had a Land Rover way back!! BTW Duane, it had a point set and never had a problem with it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-10-2016 at 8:23pm
Lucas' nickname:   Prince of Darkness!

Richard - you can check Ohms resistance of coil primary. Usually they will be open (infinite) if bad.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 11:02am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Very good advice Pete. Being an EI fan I have to disagree with going back to points, but we are allowed our own opinions.

Duane,
Actually, I have been thinking about the elimination of the point set. I've been reading up on Telsa and doing some experimenting. The only issues are getting the generator downsized to fit in the engine compartment and then there's the wire mesh cage the occupants in the car will need to wear!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 11:07am
Doc Brown did it with a FLUX CAPACITOR , just have to make him run 88 mph

Side note: Had we bought Tesla stock when it first come on the market we would be sitting pretty now!!
        1978 Mustang (modified)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic