Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

94 Nautique Fuel (?) Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 94 Nautique Fuel (?) Issue
    Posted: July-11-2016 at 10:47pm
Hi,

First time poster. I've searched and looked at a few things but still stumped.

Checked the vent and it is clear.
Checked the anti-syphon and it is functional.
Pulled the fuel line after the fuel pump before the carb and cranked the motor over and getting pulses of fuel.

Motor starts no problem, runs for about 30-45 sec and dies. Youtube video here;

I'm going to get a fuel pressure gauge and check pressure tommorw. How much should I be expecting if it is operational 5-6lb?

Motor was previously running fine. Took it up to the lake, dropped it in the water, went down the lake, boat died and paddled back. Seems like it is starved for fuel. Motor will start back up right away if you pump it. Leave it for 20-30 minutes and it will run for another 30-45 seconds.

Any help or tips would be much appreciated keeping the old girl running (and the family skiing).

SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 11:03pm
Does it still have the ProTec ignition?

May not be fuel . . .
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-11-2016 at 11:12pm
Honestly, I'm not sure what Protec is or how I would identify it.

It has a carb (Holley 4160), a coil and distributor. Which if my basic understanding of Protec is correct, no it no longer has it.

We got the boat last year, put about 50 hours on it last summer without a hiccup.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 9:00pm
You can squirt some fuel down the carb after it dies. If it starts you confirm it is a fuel issue.
Then proceed to the fix. If it still won't start after adding fuel you will need to look for other solutions. Something in ignition.
It does sound like it ran out of fuel.
5-6lbs would be normal but the amount of flow is important also. If you provide an alternate fuel source to the carb, a gravity feed small fuel tank hooked to the carb it should start and run, The fuel pump still hooked to the factory fuel line should fill a coffee can in less than a minute run time. Pressure check confirms the pump puts out proper pressure and the flow test confirms the system allows flow.
Having raw fuel like this around a hot engine is an extreme fire danger so take precautions.
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 9:27pm
If you prime it with the throttle/accelerator pump after dying, say 10-15 WOT and back, it starts right back up no with issue, but it will die again quicker. That is what had me narrowed down to fuel being the issue and that starving sound the motor makes.

I'm beginning to narrow down in my mind to the carb and possibly the float or choke (?). If it has a choke it must be automatic.

Reading about Protec has me concerned. Can anyone shed light on how I could identify a protec ignition vs a standard looking coil and distributor setup.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 9:36pm
Trevor,
Take a look at this recent ongoing thread. There are explanations and pictures on the Pro-Tec

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by tcb tcb wrote:

Can anyone shed light on how I could identify a protec ignition vs a standard looking coil and distributor setup.

A little more than halfway down the thread Pete linked, you can see the pictures I posted of the ProTec set-up.

The easiest way to tell is look at the distributor. If it has spark plug wires come off it, no protec. If it has a flat black cap with no spark plug wires coming off it, then you have the ProTec ignition system.

In the pic below (ProTec equipped motor) I've circled the "distributor" AKA "Trigger Module" and the rectangle in the rear shows the coil packs.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:19pm
Thank you. The plate that the protec bolted on still exists, but thankfully, there are no coil packs to be found. Just a normal looking coil to dizzy to plugs setup.

JPASS View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPASS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:31pm
I'm not positive, but it appears you may have a closed loop cooling system as well.

'92 Correctcraft Ski Nautique
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:36pm
Thanks for the help so far all. Pics for your viewing pleasure.

Don't mind the skate, just use it to pass the time until the wind dies down!
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by JPASS JPASS wrote:

I'm not positive, but it appears you may have a closed loop cooling system as well.

We do. That much I do know.
Joby1969 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joby1969 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-12-2016 at 10:44pm
could it be the accelerator pump on carb guys?
my 1980 SN is mad at my 2009 HD
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 2:19am
Worked through it more tonight. 99% certain it is the fuel pump.

I've got fuel to the pump for certain. No issue there other than the taste in my mouth.

Noticed I wasn't getting gas to the carb tonight cranking. Dumped some gas down it. Disconnected the pump exit port, cranked it over, motor started briefly, but no gas coming out of the pump while cranking or running. Tells me the pump died a slow death and wasn't keeping up with the motor.

Ordered up a pump tonight from the sponsor of the forum. Hopefully it is the solution. Fairly sure it is.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-13-2016 at 5:31am
Sounds like you are dialed in on the cure.
Nice pictures by the way, you guys have some really pretty lakes to ski.
Let us know if the pump gets you all fixed up.
tcb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 9:32pm
Fuel pump solved it. Floats in the carb were also out of whack. Been out 3 times since with no issue. Seems to be running good if not a little rich.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-30-2016 at 3:02am
Love the boat. My exact color scheme. Could be twins -- except for the fact that mine is an open bow.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic