Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

1987 Martinique starter

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1987 Martinique starter
    Posted: June-27-2015 at 1:58pm
I am installing a new starter in my 87 Martinique and am unsure if it needs to be right or left rotation. Original 351 motor. I admit it is sad that I don't know the answer to this on.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:12pm
David,
You will need a RH starter. Confirm your original engine by the prop rotation (clockwise from the aft when in forward) and that you still have the 1:1 trans. The firing order is a good way to tell as well. What was the rotation of the old starter and what was wrong with it? Symptoms?

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures? A diary entry is always great too.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:42pm
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B004QY3W92/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin=B004QY3W92&clickstream-tag=your_order

all the problems started when the carburetor was having issues. It had the original carb, so I decided to buy a new one. I installed the new one with the help of a mechanic friend. We were adjusting the carb on the lake and the battery drained and was on its way out any way, so I bought a new battery. Then the stater starting giving us problems, which was also already on its way to the grave and it finally gave out. So now I'm in for a new battery. And now new starter and a new carb . But the stater Is my big problem at the moment.
If you stand at the front of the motor looking towards the rear of the boat, the belts are turning clockwise, or to the right.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by Dcorrie Dcorrie wrote:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/B004QY3W92/ref=mobile_oh_details_?ie=UTF8&app-action=detail&asin=B004QY3W92&clickstream-tag=your_order
If you stand at the front of the motor looking towards the rear of the boat, the belts are turning clockwise, or to the right.

David,
For a RR engine, you purchased the wrong rotation starter. Your mechanic friend must be automotive! Did he suggest rebuilding the starter?

BTW, The CCfan site doesn't automatically create likes. Here's your's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 3:54pm
One more thing, hopefully you didn't purchase a deep cycle battery!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 4:09pm
I think the old Solenoid was sticking. We could tap on it and get it to engage, but not every time. I figured it was just easier to buy a new one. So, I need a RH starter which will turn the motor counterclockwise right?

the battery dies about every 13 months with is 1 month past the warranty of course for the last 2 years in a row:)

Any ideas on where to get a starter on a weekend other than a marina, because I already called the Nautique dealership and they are out.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Dcorrie Dcorrie wrote:

I think the old Solenoid was sticking. We could tap on it and get it to engage, but not every time. I figured it was just easier to buy a new one. So, I need a RH starter which will turn the motor counterclockwise right?

the battery dies about every 13 months with is 1 month past the warranty of course for the last 2 years in a row:)

Any ideas on where to get a starter on a weekend other than a marina, because I already called the Nautique dealership and they are out.

David,
The starter relay sticking is a classic case of low voltage caused by a bad battery or using a deep cycle. (Is (Again, are you using a deep cycle?) The low voltage causes a higher than normal amperage (Ohm's law) that the relay can't handle. It welds the contacts together causing the starter to stay engaged. Bad battery cables and the terminals is another cause of low voltage.

I commonly get 6 to 7 years out of a battery and I know many here get the same life. A regular automotive starting battery is fine. Don't be fooled into getting a large amp CCA rating. To get the rating up, the plates are bigger and the internal support is less so the battery can't handle the shock from a boat. 650 to 750 CCA is plenty.

What tests has your mechanic friend been doing? Has he gotten any voltages readings which would indicate if the battery, relay or starter is the problem? Testing before just throwing parts at it is always key to not becoming just a "parts changer! If he hasn't been testing, ask us first before getting more parts. Again, is he an automotive mechanic?

Unless you get real lucky, you will need to order the RH starter as the RR engine is a thing of the past. I asked about rebuilding your old starter? Did your friend mention it? Since he's a mechanic, ask him to take a closer look at it. Typically all that's needed is the commutator turned down, a set of brushes,, maybe bushings. and Ohming the winding's.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Dcorrie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dcorrie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-27-2015 at 5:28pm
Yes, automotive mechanic :), no real tests done. O'Reilly said the battery was bad. But we doesn't do any tests on the starter. I'm. Going to see if we can get that old stater fixing before we. Do anything else. Then I'm sure I with have carb tuning questions I'm wishing now I hadnt even replaced the carb. I'm at about 800 dollars, and still don't have it running. I did put a new battery with the old starter and it would not turn over. My only hope this weekend is to take a second look at the old starter and see if it will come back to life. My original intention was to take it to a dealership, but my brother in law has his Mastercraft on my Martinique trailer, Which is frustrating. All said and done I would rather have my non running correct on my lift than ride in his Mastercraft :)
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:15pm
I found these posts while looking for information concerning my problem: the starter will not stop running when the key is released. This happened 4 years ago and a new starter relay and battery solved the problem. It happened again yesterday. I quickly disconnected the battery from the relay to stop the starter. If the terminal connections are not tight will that cause the starter to stick on? I haven't started the repair yet; just put the boat on the trailer until I can work on it.
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by psherwin psherwin wrote:

I found these posts while looking for information concerning my problem: the starter will not stop running when the key is released. This happened 4 years ago and a new starter relay and battery solved the problem. It happened again yesterday. I quickly disconnected the battery from the relay to stop the starter. If the terminal connections are not tight will that cause the starter to stick on? I haven't started the repair yet; just put the boat on the trailer until I can work on it.

Have the battery load tested and do not use a deep cycle. Get the VOM out and check the resistance across the start rely contacts. (if they open up again!) It should be near zero. If not, a low voltage causing a high amperage has damaged them.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:36pm
A starter for a Ford Winsor PCM engine that is a Right Hand rotation engine is classified as a CCW (Counter clockwise) rotation starter.

The starter meshes into the flywheel from the front of the engine and spins CCW thus spinning the flywheel clock wise when viewed from behind which would be a RH engine output rotation.

You have to be careful with the starter nomenclature because you'll for sure A) confuse most parts guys and B) get the wrong starter.
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 3:45pm
Heavy indications you mistakenly bought a marine deep cycle battery, which is made for starting two stroke outboards and running fish motors.

If so , you are perpetuating problems with fried starters and relays.

You wouldn't try starting an F250 with a fish motor battery, so don't try it with the boat.

Its important to tell us about the battery, else this will frustrate people trying to assist.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-26-2016 at 11:50pm
Thanks Pete. I haven't been active on the forum for some time, as the boat's done a great job. Could almost swearI there's a regular starter battery in it, but since it's been starting and running so well, I haven't had the occasion to look. Meant to check the water level in the battery last week, but the grand kids were hot to go. Will do as you say, as it makes sense and I was not present when my son replaced the battery a few years ago. Thanks again to you and the forum regulars-I have depended on you for years.
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
GottaSki View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GottaSki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-27-2016 at 6:08pm
Anything inhibiting the clamping force on the contacts will cause a resistive connection and therefore heat under a high-amp condition ie welding the contacts.

Most anything causing a slow starter motor will cause the high-amp condition to occur, and reduce the avaialable voltage due to internal resistance of the battery, cabling and connections, reducing the voltage on the solenoid winding, and reducing the clamping force.

Basically it all has to be working well else things cascade into overlapping symptoms.

So, If your starter is laboring, no sense running after why the solenoid is sticking, first fix the laboring starter system (starter, battery, cabling). Usually, find where components and connections that are getting too hot when starting, that will be where the issue is.
"There is nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worthwhile as messing around with boats...simply messing."

River Rat to Mole
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-28-2016 at 3:14am
Thanks Gotta ski:. Very concise and erudite explanation. I think I've got it.
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
psherwin View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote psherwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 5:44pm
I'm getting ready to chase down and fix this problem, but while at it I'd like to know if it'd be worth it to buy 2 starter batteries and hook them up in tandem neg to neg and pos to pos. As I understand the problem, it seems that having more amps might help prevent the low power that fused either the solenoid or the starter relay. I know that some do this, but is it worth the trouble and expense?
'86 Martinique,351 PCM
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by psherwin psherwin wrote:

I'm getting ready to chase down and fix this problem, but while at it I'd like to know if it'd be worth it to buy 2 starter batteries and hook them up in tandem neg to neg and pos to pos. As I understand the problem, it seems that having more amps might help prevent the low power that fused either the solenoid or the starter relay. I know that some do this, but is it worth the trouble and expense?

Why? 2 Batteries are not needed. Chase down the problem with the suggestions made.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic