Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Running WAY too rich.

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Running WAY too rich.
    Posted: July-28-2016 at 11:34pm
So I just did a leakdown on my 79 Mustang 17 (302 V4) and it came back that all of my cylinders are between 60-70% @ 100psi with 30-40% basically just getting past the rings. When I took my plugs out they were blacker than the night sky, so obviously I have an over-fueling issue. I was wondering if somebody could tell me if this is the correct carb for my boat, then we'll go from there.

Holley 4bbl

KooK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KooK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 12:36am
Thinking about it, I did have to idle in for quite some time the last time I came in... Probably a bad test of plugs unless I shut it off at WOT. Either way, kinda low leakdown.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 2:55am
When was your carb last re-built? Call Vince at www.skidim.com and he can get you the proper carb re-build kit. In your top picture you captured the the carb numbers stamped on the air horn. Before replacing the carb, I would try this option.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 7:54am
Per the Holley manual:
List 7159 is a model #4160 450cfm
rebuild kit #703-33

Google "d4jl f"   several sites show that carb for a 302
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-29-2016 at 8:04am
Originally posted by Duane in Indy Duane in Indy wrote:

Per the Holley manual:
List 7159 is a model #4160 450cfm
rebuild kit #703-33

Google "d4jl f"   several sites show that carb for a 302

Just to add a little to what Duane said 302's came with a 450 CFM Holley and my Holley manual agrees with his.

Also if you rebuild it, do yourself a favor and get some new bowl screws for the front float bowl cause those style are just terrible for a lack of any better words. You'll see why when you take them out

The secondary bowl screws look like they've been replaced (they appear to be a hex head) but the front look original

The front are longer than the rear so make sure you get the right ones.

And 450 CFM is plenty for a stock 302
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic