Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

351W Intake EGR Block-off?

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 351W Intake EGR Block-off?
    Posted: July-27-2016 at 3:22pm
Ok guys, need some help from the panel on correct gasket and/or install of carb spacer on 1980 SN with 351PCM. New gasket has burned thru to cavity of spacer now dumping exhaust below carb and motor will obviously not idle/run well. Question 1) Did PCM really just rely on the gasket to block off this port for marine use? Q 2) Is there supposed to be a block off at the intake gasket? What am I missing here?

Thanks
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

cadunkle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cadunkle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 12:58pm
I made the same mistake with my car once, not installing with some sort of blockoff. Fixed it on the road by cutting a piece of an altoids tin to go below the gasket and cover the EGR passage. Held for several years until I swapped a big block in it. If I were you I'd do similar with thin sheet metal, and see about using a solid spacer. If that one is tapered use a thin (1/2") aluminum carb spacer below the tapered spacer.
Nelson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July-31-2016 at 3:50pm
I just logged in to look up this very issue. I am having the same problem. Boat was not running well would backfire at higher rpm's. I took the carb off and found the same issue with a hole in the gasket. I installed a new gasket and the boat ran great for about 2 hours and is now slowly acting up. I haven't pulled the carb yet but I suspect the gasket is failing. Was wondering if I had the wrong spacer or something installed.

1986 Ski Nautique 2001
80SN Barnfind View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 80SN Barnfind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-04-2016 at 2:54pm
Well, my solution was to add a slug of aluminum in the cavity of the spacer over the port. Filed it down smooth and now seals like a charm. Pic below after a few hard runs.

If anybody out there has this type of intake manifold, I'd love to see the spacer & gasket being used.

Thanks, Noel
Knowledge comes by taking things apart: analysis. But wisdom comes by putting things together.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic