Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

RPM Gauge bouncing around

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RPM Gauge bouncing around
    Posted: August-15-2016 at 5:33pm
I noticed while idling back to the house after skiing this morning, that my RPM gauge was bouncing around a bit. Didn't feel or hear any change in motor...
I've searched for a solution to my RPM gauge bouncing around, but can't find one. I had this problem a year or two ago, and the solution was to tighten something... It was a quick easy solution, and apparently my memory is bad! I have GT 40 Pro Boss on '95 SN.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 5:47pm
since the tach is electronic, it gets its signal from the distributor and a ground from somewhere, likely under the dash.   I would check 2 places, the ground under the dash, and the tach terminal that is at the distributor.

mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 9:18pm
Thanks Kris...I'll look...Here's a stupid question, does an EFI engine have a distributor, or are they just on engines with carbs.?
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-15-2016 at 9:33pm
should be on both, unless you have a Protec ignition.   I suspect its the ground that is giving you trouble. there are some grounds on the engine also, it would be worth wire brushing those to make sure everything looks nice and shiny.
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 12:29am
Thanks, I found it...Just couldn't visualize where it was. I also found the wires I tightened before on the back of the motor. They were tight but I will wire brush them tomorrow. All wires under dash were tight as well Had to put in a new blower today...
She's running great, so not too worried about it, but I'd like to find the culpret.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 12:40am
Also if your tach has a selector switch on the back to change between 4,6,or 8 cylinders,which many of them do,cycle it thru the different settings several times and return it to the 8 cyl setting. Many times the selector switch corrodes just enough to mess up the reading.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 1:34am
Thanks, I'll take another look-see tomorrow and see if I can find the switch...
Hope all is well in the Land of Lincoln.
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 3:13am
Mine was bouncing around also, so I pulled the dash apart and then exercised (or exorcised) the switch by moving it back-and-forth a couple of times as mentioned above. Worked like a charm.

JQ
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 10:45am
Thanks Joe...I'm going to do that this evening.. Have to run up north and look at another repeater site for our EMS systems up here.
All of the connections were tight when I looked under the dash earlier, but that was before I knew there was a switch back there...
I'll report back to everyone as to the results!
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-16-2016 at 1:50pm
MT, check out this thread for pictures of the dip switches... also, you should probably confirm whether you have protec ignition or not, looks like the OP in this thread was having trouble with his signal from the distributorlink
mtguy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mtguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-23-2016 at 2:14am
Hi all that responded. I can't seem to get the tach to replicate the problem, so perhaps there was a loose connection. Definitely doesn't do it under load as we've been skiing every morning. I did see a little bounce one morning while idling back down the river to our house. One thought.. I seem to have to leave the motor cover up after skiing or the motor acts like it has vapor lock the next time we go to start it. I read where it is the low pressure fuel pump, which was on my list to fix this year, but... Could it be that at idle, the low pressure fuel pump is causing the tach to move a bit? Just a thought from a novice motor guy.... Thanks again for your interest and help.
~Pete
'95 SN

'53 Hutchuck

'56 Essaness Craft
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic