NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Low Top End GT40

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
Author
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 11:49am
Prop down 1/2" and keep running it. I wouldn't touch it unless you really had the desire to do an engine rebuild. 43mph out of a 21' Sport does not seem out of family, especially since you are a little over propped.
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Prop down 1/2" and keep running it. I wouldn't touch it unless you really had the desire to do an engine rebuild. 43mph out of a 21' Sport does not seem out of family, especially since you are a little over propped.

Agree completely. Paul, in an earlier post you said "I really have no issues with how the boat runs". You are really so close to expected performance for that boat that it's possible you could do a full rebuild and not see any difference. If you read the props threads you probably saw that these boats seem to vary by 2-3 mph with no obvious mechanical reasons for it.

If you are trying snake oil, I'd put my vote in for Marvel Mystery Oil. Add a bit to the next few tanks of gas. Also, I don't know how much you get out on the boat but there is nothing better than skiing on it as much as you can, putting a load on it and putting hours on it, to clean up a very mild ring problem. I can't imagine with the compression numbers you listed that you have a cracked ring, seems more likely just some rust or cylinder wall scuffing. My usual disclaimer, I could very well be wrong!
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:27pm

Thanks Tim,

I have some questions

1. When you say don't touch it, does that mean the snake oil too? I already have these so unless it's possible I'll cause harm, I'd like to try them.

2. Would a new prop be better for the engine or just give me better performance? Should i get a new prop if I don't need the performance gains.

Ultimately, half the reason I bought the boat was to learn how to fix an engine. I'd really like to solve this problem even if it doesn't really need it, which I why I have these questions. Sounds like the best advice is to run the boat for a couple more seasons and wait to rebuild if things get worse.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:44pm
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

Also, I don't know how much you get out on the boat but there is nothing better than skiing on it as much as you can, putting a load on it and putting hours on it, to clean up a very mild ring problem.

This is the advice I got last year when I bought the boat. This season I have done about 50 hours, 20 of which were wakeboarding without any change, hence me trying to go with the snake oil.

I am mostly motivated to learn as much as possible. I have learnt so much this year thanks to this site. Mostly simple stuff but I knew nothing about it a year ago. I've change spark plugs, fuel filters, impellers, oil, Installed perfect pass, wet sanded and buffed gel coat. done gel coat repair, replaced relays and IACV, removed a stuck propeller, lapped a new prop, cleaned throttle body and spent loads of time with my family on the lake. It's been a great year and I guess I am just looking for some projects for the winter.

I would like to rebuild the engine next year after I have bought a new house (hopefully with room to work on the boat). I was hoping there were some thing worth working on this winter to see if I could get things running a little better.

96 Super Sport
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 12:54pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

It's been a great year and I guess I am just looking for some projects for the winter.

I was hoping there were some thing worth working on this winter to see if I could get things running a little better.

there is always another project that can be done. A boat is never really "done"

TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:09pm
Don't touch it, meaning don't touch it. No snake oil (ever).

Propping down will ease the load on the engine and return better performance. Win/win.
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:13pm

No snake oil (ever).

Tim,

I had never heard of Restore until Pete posted the link. I was thinking, why not, what the heck. My engine might be a little tired and my compression, although OK isn't tops. But you are saying don't touch the stuff?
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:18pm

Prop down 1/2" and keep running it.

Any prop suggestions? ACME 1442?
96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:21pm
I can think of all sorts of things that would be bad to run through an engine... Do you know exactly what is in that bottle?

Look at it the other way- what do you hope it will do? Is there any logical reason to think it will improve something?

Smells like leprechaun farts mixed with unicorns and rainbows to me.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 1:23pm
470, 1442 or 654 are all candidates with 15" pitch.
gun-driver View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gun-driver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-01-2016 at 7:27pm
All your numbers are down by over 40 PSI + compared to mine so I would say a rebuild is your only option if your concerned about performance. If you not worried about performance then run it as is.
Restore may get you a little improvement but it's not going to cure it.

DON'T CLEAN THE INTAKE with any type of cleaner you can damage the intake.

I agree with Tim
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-02-2016 at 10:11am
Originally posted by 63 Skier 63 Skier wrote:

[QUOTE=TRBenj] Prop down 1/2" and keep running it. I wouldn't touch it unless you really had the desire to do an engine rebuild. 43mph out of a 21' Sport does not seem out of family, especially since you are a little over propped.

From 63 Skier "Agree completely. Paul, in an earlier post you said "I really have no issues with how the boat runs". You are really so close to expected performance for that boat that it's possible you could do a full rebuild and not see any difference. If you read the props threads you probably saw that these boats seem to vary by 2-3 mph with no obvious mechanical reasons for it."

After reading this thread, what I get out of it is that you're
happy with the way the boat runs,
had a lot of good family time in it
it doesn't have any other issues
you're new to working on engines (comments like attempting to replace a distributor      cap and rotor make me think this)
you're saving for a new house

So like everybody says leave it alone and drive it.

If you want to get some first hand experience find a dirt cheap (hundred bucks or so) junkyard engine like a 302 or 351. It doesn't need to run. And get a book on rebuilding a small block Ford.

Get yourself an engine stand and have a blast taking it apart and doing plenty of hands on learning as you go. You might even want to put it back together again You gotta be careful though, things like this can get contagious and you'll be looking for more "projects"   

It's one thing to read about it and another to actually have all the pieces right in front of you.

You'll figure out what tools to buy along the way and be much more comfortable when you decide to tear into the boat engine sometime in the future

KenO

Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-06-2016 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

If you want to get some first hand experience find a dirt cheap (hundred bucks or so) junkyard engine like a 302 or 351. It doesn't need to run. And get a book on rebuilding a small block Ford.

Get yourself an engine stand and have a blast taking it apart and doing plenty of hands on learning as you go. You might even want to put it back together again

Getting junkyard engine sounds like a great place to start and something I had thought about doing (i"d been looking at prices on craigslist a few weeks ago). I have the book already and was actually re-reading it this weekend.

Thanks for the advice Ken. I'll put this on hold for now until I'm ready for a rebuild. In the mean time I'll see if I can find an old 351W.

96 Super Sport
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <12
  Share Topic