NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine overheated

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine overheated
    Posted: September-12-2016 at 12:57pm
I was exploring the lake this weekend and went up on of the arms which got quite shallow. After turning around and heading back to open water at idle speeds i noticed my check engine light was on and the engine temp was around 220. I figures something was blocking the inlet so I switched the engine off opened the cover. Confirmed there was still water in the water strained and it was clear of debris, then went for a swim to see if something was blocking the inlet and it was clear.

I figure i'd try start the engine again and see. The temp came down which I feel confirm that something was stuck on the through hull and turning the engine off released it.

I guess I just had a couple questions on the incident.

1. What temps would start to do real damage to an engine? Do I have anything to worry about for hitting 220?

2. What should I have done in that situation? Would it be a good idea to turn the engine off then on to see if that clears the through hull and brings the temp down.

3. What else should I check if the engine starts to overheat?
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
tryathlete View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2016 at 3:51pm
I've been reading about overheating experiences of others including a few eyewitness accounts of my own (probably like many of us here) and if your exhaust hoses don't melt and your impeller didn't turn to rubbish, I suspect you're good to go. I'm not experienced in shallow water blocking an inlet without propellor and rudder damage but I've been through shallows myself and polished my propeller in silt on the local Fox Chain of Lakes when taking shortcuts into channels (not again).

I'd personally inspect the impeller since it takes only a few minutes. Might not be a bad idea to check your thermostat as well.
spiralhelix View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote spiralhelix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2016 at 4:11pm
First time out, we hit a sandbar and fried the RWP housing I'm guessing from the sand. At the time, i was told to just "open her up" to get water going through it. It didn't help since the RWP was no longer drawing water. We hit 220 as well and thankfully there was no damage to the exhaust pipes, t-stat, heads, or ex manifolds. Unfortunately we did blow a hole in the side of the muffler. New RWP, repaired muffler and the boat has run at 160 ever since. I would bet you caught it early enough that it didn't do any damage especially since it cooled back down.
-Spiral
'89 Sport Nautique
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-12-2016 at 10:39pm
The problem with gauges when you have a water intake problem is they read water temp and if no water is there the gauge actually reads cooler than the block slowing down the high temp warnings on the gauge.   
In your case it does sound like you had a close call but have no damage.
The temp light saved you.   The damage if no water is circulated would be the exhaust tubes, they have an inner wall that collapses when no water goes into a running engine.
This helps save the boat by shutting the engine down and pointing to a problem.
Once they collapse the engine loses about 60% of its power and they stink letting you know you have an issue. On the engine, overheats will damage the head gaskets first, then maybe crack a head with overheat and finally pistons scuff because the oil gets so hot it can't protect them from the cylinder wall friction.   
It does not sound like you had any of these issues. Nice work.
If it runs cool at idle and under load your impeller is still working as designed but replacing it is a very good idea. They fail very quick when they don't have water coming in as they are water lubricated, you might have stressed the rubber and shortened the life even if it works today it might not tomorrow.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by MrMcD MrMcD wrote:

if no water is there the gauge actually reads cooler than the block

How can the engine be cooler without water than with? If this were the case the water would have to be hotter than the block. I think you've got it backwards.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 2:26pm
Ever lose a lower hose on a car or truck? When you lose a lower hose the coolant drops out the bottom and your temp sender is left exposed and not immersed in the coolant. The gauge does not react as fast as normal because there is no coolant touching it.   It takes far longer for the temp sender to pick up the over heat situation because there is no coolant in contact. The engine block will be much hotter than your gauge is reading by the time the temp sender picks up the temp. If coolant is present the temp gauge reacts normally and will creep up as the coolant temp goes up. The sender dips into the coolant to read the temp.   Our boats with a raw water pump could create the same situation when the raw water pump is not pushing water into the engine. The engine water pump will still be working pumping water, I think this will be similar to losing a lower hose making the temp sender react slowly.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 2:43pm

Ever lose a lower hose on a car or truck?

No but I've lost a significant amount of coolant leaving the temp sensor dry.

The engine block will be much hotter than your gauge is reading by the time the temp sender picks up the temp.

No. Once revved up and the circulation pump filled the block (immersing the sender) with what coolant was left in the radiator the temp READING dropped immediately (to that of the block with coolant)

Reaction time is one thing but a dry engine is not cooler than a wet one. If this was the case your "coolant" is heating up your engine...
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:13pm
I don't see any mention of Paul's engine loosing water but simply lost flow. He didn't lose a lower radiator hose so where would the air come from??!!!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:15pm
Hollywood

I'm not too busy this afternoon, I think I might go out and overheat an engine and give you and Mr McD some more info to disagree on. I'm not quite sure how I want to go about it though. Maybe a boat, maybe the plow truck

Then again maybe I'll just go for a boat ride.

You might say it all "boils" down to the thermal conductivity of air vs water.

I hate to say it, but you guys are pretty much saying the same thing in different words.

Time for that boat ride now

KenO
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:18pm
KenO -   I was thinking the same thing, I just wasn't as quick as you on typing.    The temp gauge becomes inaccurate because there is no water surrounding it,    The block is still hotter than the water, and both HW and MrMCd are saying the same thing in different ways.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:22pm
Hmmm,   Kinda goes back to my discussion last winter on installing a water pressure sender hooked to a piezo buzzer. Pressure drops and the buzzer goes off well before the temps skyrocket. Everything could be hidden out of site.   Going in my boat for sure.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:30pm
In an overheat where the block loses its cooling water or antifreeze the block heats up faster than the coolant temp sensor reacts. That was the only point.
It will eventually show your overheat but the extra minute it takes could be the extra minute that might save an engine in an overheat situation.
In the boats the circulation pump on the block will continue to pump with or without a fresh water supply if the block does not empty this whole discussion is moot. If the block does pump some coolant out the exhaust the upper engine would be dry of coolant and the temp sensor will react slowly.
That was the only point.
In Automotive I saw several instances where a customer lost the lower hose and overheated an engine to death without a check engine light coming on.
Newer cars computers monitor the coolant level and this no longer happens.
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 3:30pm
We're not saying the same thing.

If your block has some water in it, but not enough to immerse the sender (located at 12 o'clock) your actual engine temp is lower than what the gauge is going to show.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 6:45pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

If your block has some water in it, but not enough to immerse the sender (located at 12 o'clock) your actual engine temp is lower than what the gauge is going to show.

my experience says otherwise, but I am not sure of the reason.     I had a car with a very small head gasket leak that would start to run funny when it was low on water and started to heat up, however, the temp gauge would not indicate a hot condition.   The temp gauge did work accurately when there was sufficient water in the system.

Any chance that in a boat with no input water, the exhaust would backfill the water jacket? seems like this would be the logical reverse path if the inlet water source was plugged.
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 6:52pm
I am still trying to figure out how to block the water inlet without damaging all the running gear.

I'm just happy the boat returned to normal on its own! Too many sad stories here of blown head gaskets, warped heads, melted exhaust hoses, blown mufflers, and worse.

Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 7:30pm
Originally posted by tryathlete tryathlete wrote:

I am still trying to figure out how to block the water inlet without damaging all the running gear.

My guess is it was something like a plastic bag or leaves. Something that would stick with the suction of the raw water pump then release once the engine was turned off. I was going up an inlet and I got into some shallow water and turned up the bottom turning around. Prop or rudder never hit the bottom (as far as I could tell) but there was enough debris in the water that the prop wash churned it up. I did see a branch sticking out of the water when I turned.

I was back in deep water by the time I noticed the check engine light and the temp was rising.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tryathlete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 7:49pm
Oh of course. My waverunner hates eel grass with a passion. Or maybe it likes it and I hate it. It sure clogs up the water intake on that thing!
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 8:59pm
Any lily pads?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-13-2016 at 9:11pm
Originally posted by Dreaming Dreaming wrote:

my experience says otherwise, but I am not sure of the reason.     I had a car with a very small head gasket leak that would start to run funny when it was low on water and started to heat up, however, the temp gauge would not indicate a hot condition.   The temp gauge did work accurately when there was sufficient water in the system.

Any chance that in a boat with no input water, the exhaust would backfill the water jacket? seems like this would be the logical reverse path if the inlet water source was plugged.

Well back from the boat ride and another "lets call it a hands on demonstration"

Just like dreaming says when that sender is in the air because the water level is low,it's reading a lower temp than the water and the engine.

You lose enough water and the engine overheats while you're looking at a temperature gauge that reads lower than normal If you happen to have the heater on, that nice warm air that was blowing out is now luke warm at best since you're below the level where the heater supply taps off the engine too.

With Hollywood's logic you'd have hotter air in this case

I have a friend who runs a junkyard and this afternoon I stopped by and we took a car that was going to the crusher with an engine that still ran (on maybe half of it's cylinders), drained all the coolant out and filled it about half full with plain ole water, disabled the fan left the cap off and drove it till the engine overheated.

The temp gauge lagged way below normal, it read barely on scale and there was plenty of 212 degree steam blowing out of the radiator. The heater was blowing air that was not much warmer than the outside air.

I have an old plow truck that tells me when it's time to add coolant. The heater starts blowing cool air and the temp gauge has dropped down quite a bit from normal. This is just like what dreaming described from experience. Fill it up and everything is back to normal

There is plenty of heat transfer, fluid flow and thermodynamic logic at play but it all comes down to the ability of air to transfer heat as compared with water's ability to do the same. Way more than there is room for here.

So.........Hollywood I have to agree, you're right, you're not thinking like MrMcD but you should be even though most of this thread doesn't really pertain to Blamey's original problem.

MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 1:39am
There are some guys here that are really curious and figure things out. That is impressive.
I had zero intent to start any arguments, just wanted to share what you figured out today about coolant sensors. Maybe my brain is just not communicating clear with the computer keys.
In the Automotive industry it has been a well known fact to people that repair engines for a living. Coolant sensors read coolant very well but the sensor that extends into the fluid will not react correctly if the fluid drops and it is operating in air rather than coolant.

Very happy that Blamey was able to get away with zero damage, may we all be that alert and lucky.

I still have no idea if the automotive type circulating water pump mounted in the front center of the engine block on boats would pump the water down enough to expose the coolant sensor to Air should any one of our boats lose all function of the Raw Water pump. I have not studied the function or flow pattern of the cooling intake water to see how it would be affected.
I would think the automotive type water pump would create flow even after the raw water pump is plugged but would that flow drop the water level by pumping water into the exhaust system like it does normally to cool the exhaust?   I think it would as that would be the normal pattern of water flow in these engines and the pump is part of that normal water flow system. Way off topic for sure but I am curious.
Keno, you are one motivated guy to go out and perform that test. Thanks for sharing.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 8:33am
According to those who know me, like say my wife or my junkyard buddy or some others, motivated would be the wrong word.

Out of my mind might fit better. Lots of other words would work too.

And........it's always easier to understand when you can actually do things and see the results and pass them on.

I think Hollywood is still laughing about the "turn the engine over backwards to check the compression" experiment.

KenO

JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 10:49am
I love the test it mentality but you did not actually learn what you think you learned though - Yes water transfers heat faster than air - but neither operate faster than conduction through metal, therefore the location of the sensor as well as its composition (how well the sensor is separated from the body) needs to be taken into account before knowing just how the sensor will react when dry as compared to wet.

The radiator and the heater core are special circumstances as they are air cooled and designed to shed heat. They are also effectively thermally isolated from the source of heat (combustion chamber) once you remove the water that travels to them through the rubber hoses... the only heat getting there is from the air or conducted through the rubber and the fins and fans work together to remove that heat very effectively. That's not to say the air that is getting there isn't much hotter than the water that usually gets there, just that it contains less heat and that the water pumps that usually pump water don't actually pump air very well.

Car engine temp sensors are not located in the same places as a marine engine, nor do they have the same external environment ... the one behind the mechanical fan on your truck where its cold enough to need to a plow and heat is not the same as the one under an engine cover where the coolest thing that it will see is the coolant coming through.

Too many variables to make a decisive call here... but I would be hard pressed to make a ruling based on any car engine experiences/scenarios

1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 11:01am
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Too many variables to make a decisive call here... but I would be hard pressed to make a ruling based on any car engine experiences/scenarios

I agree but I too love Kens "out of his mind" experimentations!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 11:46am

the one under an engine cover where the coolest thing that it will see is the coolant coming through.

Thank you. The air trapped inside your boat engine cannot be any colder than the water or the metal around it. I'd like to think of this as a discussion rather than an argument.
Bri892001 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bri892001 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 3:00pm
Just to dip back into the original question for a minute.

Check your strainer: For debris, for presence of the gasket and for tightness.

Keep an eye on your temp gauge on future outings. It could be the thermostat as mentioned above. It's also come up in the past that the hub of some impellers can bust loose from the rest of the impeller and freewheel. This causes intermittent stoppage of the impeller.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-14-2016 at 3:22pm

the one under an engine cover where the coolest thing that it will see is the coolant coming through.

Thank you. The air trapped inside your boat engine cannot be any colder than the water or the metal around it. I'd like to think of this as a discussion rather than an argument.
     there are so many things in Joe's and your posts that aren't accurate that I'll not even try to continue this conversation. It ain't worth it.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic