Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Engine drain plug

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Engine drain plug
    Posted: September-19-2016 at 10:59pm
Evening All,

I have a 96 Sport with the GT-40 with EFI. While winterizing, I managed to strip the threads out of the "block" on the Starboard brass drain plug. Not only are threads gone in the block, the threads are pretty much done on the plug. Has anyone done this before and how do I fix it.

Thanks
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:01pm
Drill and tap to 3/8 NPT.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
leftseat88 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote leftseat88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-19-2016 at 11:04pm
Wow, that was fast, thanks. Any idea where I can find the new brass plug. Can I assume I need a brass plug?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 6:47am
Home Depot!    

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 6:57am
McMaster Carr sells brass pipe plugs Another alternative could be to use a Stainless Steel Hex Nut Expansion Plug for 7/16 Pipe Size $6.87 Each #2599K27 (tap drill size for 1/4" pipe is 7/16")
I recommend using Petes answer, but not everyone has access to or knows how to drill and tap a block with the engine in place.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 8:46am
I would run a 1/4" npt tap through the hole first, the tapered pipe threads may allow you to save it without upsizing. Any hardware store will have the plugs- go with brass.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:08am
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I would run a 1/4" npt tap through the hole first, the tapered pipe threads may allow you to save it without upsizing. Any hardware store will have the plugs- go with brass.

I like the way Tim thinks, definitely worth a shot, it's worked for me and at other times it hasn't Nothing to lose doing this first.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September-20-2016 at 9:38am
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

I like the way Tim thinks, definitely worth a shot, it's worked for me and at other times it hasn't Nothing to lose doing this first.

I too like the idea plus, brass male fittings have a tendency to run oversize so with just chasing the block, it may work.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic