Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Reverse 351w to Standard

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
ScottB1260 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reverse 351w to Standard
    Posted: January-27-2017 at 4:42am
I have an 83 ski nautique 2001 with a blown engine. It's currently a reverse rotation engine. Would I be able to swap the engine with a standard rotation engine that comes with the tranny? I believe I'd need a new prop but aside from that, is it do-able? I read that there might be some handling issues, but is that a big concern? I'd just like to get back on the water.
DayTony View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DayTony Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 8:43am
It is easier and cheaper to build a std rot motor in most cases.
Someone correct me if i am wrong but. If its a velvet drive in it now you can bolt a std rot engine to it you just have to reverse the pump. Instruvtions are usually on the casing. In the form of arrows saying which way to mount it.
But taking in consideration the driveshaft will be spinning opposite so you would also need to buy yourself a different propeller.

Handleing issues i do not know. I believe the idea is engine force spinning opposite the rotational force of the propeller. Maybe you notice it when going through a slalom course. Maybe not? Someone else would have to chime in on that.

***also dont forget the raw water pump would have to get plumbed different if using the same one. Other acc like alt and circ pump dont care which way it spins.
1988 Barefoot nautique-454
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 9:13am
Scott,
Yes, you have heard correct that there are handling issues when you go to a std. rotation since the hull is built for a RR.

Dropping in the repower may be pretty easy if, it's the same as the original and has the same trans. If not, then more work is needed especially with engine/trans mounts to get the position for alignment correct.

My typical question is, what's "blown" on your engine? Tell us more.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:10am
Thank you guys for the quick response. I have a commander 351w in the boat now. Got rust in the intake manifold and then the cylinder walls were scored and have no compression. I'm not interested in a rebuild at the moment, I just found a 351 PCM for a great price that would be easy to swap. My question again though is, are the handling issues a serious concern (to the point where it's a bad idea to use the standard rotation) or is it just something that might be a little annoying. I use the boat for wakeboarding and tubing. Anyone know if the mounts will line up between a commander and PCM 351w? The tranny comes with it and is a Borg Warner 1:1, so it seems like it would be a quick and easy swap if I switched the cooler, water pump lines and propeller.
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:37am
The ride changes for sure – when I was running my 83 with a 2001 I did a fair amount of driving from the passenger seat.   It will lean more to the driver and it will effect one side of the wake, hence me moving my significant weight over to the passenger seat to straighten it out – I have gone back to right hand since then and I can sit down in the drivers seat again. It may also change the feel in the wheel a bit depending on how your rudder may or may not have been tuned.   Besides the lean and the big hit to resale value it should be a relatively straight forward swap. It should bolt up in the same spot, I would tend to leave the mounts with the boat and just bolt the new engine and trans to them to give you a head start on the alignment but going with whichever set of mounts is in better shape and more easily adjustable is probably your best bet.
If you were closer I would offer to swap your old parts for a newer transmission and prop shaft that would allow you to run a rh prop with a standard rotation engine – but the cost of shipping I think would kill the value in the trade.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 10:50am
A lefty might enhance the tubing experience though. He's going to have exhaust fitment issues, commander logs being longer than PCM's he will need to lengthen the hose if he uses the PCM pyramids. Might have fastener issues too,being so close to saltwater and all
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by Gary S Gary S wrote:

A lefty might enhance the tubing experience though.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 11:27am
Why not just swap cam, lifters, starter, & dizzy into the newer engine?

Would probably run for a long time.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 11:41am
Rear main seal would leak pretty good if he did that...

Having driven several cc's repowered with LH engines, I would advise against it.
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 12:45pm
Here we go!!
Scott be advised that there are a few non forward thinkers on the forum and are stuck in their antiquated way's
I have Repowered many a RR Correct Craft and turned them to Standard rotation boats. As far as handling no there really is no handling concerns however depending on the amount of Hook and rocker in the hull there may need some small adjustment that can be done on the trailing edge of the boat. no two boats were identical so some may require as little as adding weight under the port side passenger seat or a slight sanding to one side of the trailing edge or another, it is a trial and error situation but not rocket science. from time to time I ski shortline behind a 79 with a repowered Excalibur 330 Chevy and zero off, all we do is put a 50 pound sand bag under the passenger seat. My 2016 with a tournament load I have to put 75# behind the driver for a level riding condition. Repowering to left hand can be monetarily wise cheaper then going with the stock configuration. Keep in mind that if you are trying to build a original restore then yes stick with the RR engine, I really don't see any benefit with that other then an Ego Boost! but hey to each their own.
I see you are in Florida if you need some off the web info or other forward thinking direction give me a ring.
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ScottB1260 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 1:33pm
Very helpful. Thank you all for the input. The boat has been out of commission for a few years now. Just hasn't been a priority. The engine I found was only $600 with the transmission. That's really the only reason I'm considering it. I've looked extensively into rebuilding the old commander, swapping with a used RR, and even a crate engine but then you're talking 2-3k at the minimum. This just seemed like a cheap and easy solution to get it back out on the water. Wakeboarding, I often use a fat sack anyways so adding weight to one side would be easy.
Dreaming View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dreaming Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-27-2017 at 2:44pm
If you're not looking to spend much, I think that it can be done, but the trade off is that it takes a ton of time and patience to come up with the right parts.    I'd be looking for someone who has a running boat with the correct rotation motor, but bad stringers. Swap the motor over, or sell yours, combine the $$ that you have in hand with the money from the sale and go buy a running version of the same boat.    2001's in running shape can be fairly inexpensive if you buy during the right time of year.    If you haven't done stringers on your boat, I would be careful that you're not dumping money into a boat that you don't want to save... Stringers are estimated at 2500 and that's if you do the labor.   if you need both an engine and a set of stringers, I don't think you're going to be happy with the financial side of having a cheap engine.   

don't forget that a LH engine will require a LH prop (another $400), as the 1:1 transmission doesn't change the rotation of the drive shaft.   The engine and prop will rotate the same direction
KRoundy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KRoundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January-28-2017 at 6:08pm
Also - note that your boat originally came with a 1:1 transmission. I'm guessing that if you are buying a used PCM LH engine with a transmission, that the transmission is a reduction-drive type, 1.23:1. It should say so on the transmission plate. If your engine / transmission did not come out of a Nautique - the transmission will not reverse the rotation to the proper Nautique rotation for our boats. You can put a newer engine and transmission in your boat, but the prop made for your 1:1 setup would need to be replaced with a prop for a 1.23:1 setup. Clear as mud?
Previous: 1993 Electric Blue/Charcoal Ski Nautique
Current: 2016 Ski Nautique 200 Open Bow
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic