Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Nautique Upholstery!!!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
Author
wetskier2000 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nautique Upholstery!!!!
    Posted: October-28-2016 at 11:30am
Not sure if this is general knowledge on the forum or not.....

I just installed a ChristinesMarine seat skin on my 1997 SN stern seat... See that yellow forum ad over there to the left, CLICK IT!!!!

Fantastic product, advice and assistance at a very fair price... They have the CC factory templates. You pick out your factory colors from the swatches they send and a short while later some beautiful, new upholstery shows up at your door!

Installation was fairly easy for me even with NO previous upholstery skills.

Current: 1997 Nautique

Previous: 1987 Nautique

1964 American Skier
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 12:38pm
Looks great, I need one of those. Hoping to get some skins over the winter if I get a nice bonus this year.

My rear seat back is in bad shape and I figure if I replace it I'll also replace the coaming pads and passenger seat back at the same time so thing match up nicely.
96 Super Sport
Previously: 95 Sport Nautique, 1980 Ski Supreme
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 2:55pm
I am doing the same thing this winter...replacing the stern seat back, like the O.P. and I am also replaced the observer seat bottom and back cushion vinyl as well. These both have a few cuts, and dings out of them in my boat, and new ones, will make my boat look like new again. Now, just gotta wait for December, for my Holiday bonus!!! :)
'93 Ski Nautique NWZ, Air Boom Tower
Drink Tonight..for tomorrow We Ride!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 3:05pm
Well it just so happens that about 30 mins after my post got the call that I will be getting the first part of my bonus in Monday's paycheck, I have just emailed Christine about putting in an order.

Just need to get the okay from the wife.

I replaced my bow, stern and observer seat bottoms last year. Used a local place and I don't love how they came out but will probably get a few years of use out of them before replacing.

The bow is in pretty bad shape but we don't use in often so I'll wait another year to replace it. Drivers seat and motor box still look pretty good. I'll see how the rest of the boat comes out before deciding if they should be replaced. If they look obviously older then the rest of the boat then I'll replace them sooner rather than later.
96 Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 3:27pm
For those considering upholstery replacement sometime this winter, it might be prudent to get the ball rolling now. The swatches need to be sent, compared and confirmed. Then there is a lead time on completion since they are all made to order. I believe Christine's does not charge your card until the shipment time is nearing.

I also purchased the spotter and complete driver's seat backs. I'll report in when I complete those... If I had the option, I may have started with the smaller pieces first. It's not a big deal as the stern seat went so well, but smaller to start might have been easier.

1964 American Skier
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by wetskier2000 wetskier2000 wrote:

For those considering upholstery replacement sometime this winter, it might be prudent to get the ball rolling now. The swatches need to be sent, compared and confirmed. Then there is a lead time on completion since they are all made to order.

This is exactly what I told my wife so I could get the order in now. She said to go ahead (she really hates the damaged upholstery more then me)

If I had the option, I may have started with the smaller pieces first. It's not a big deal as the stern seat went so well, but smaller to start might have been easier.

I'm buying the Throttle Control and walk through pieces, These are small and should be pretty easy to start with. I'll do these first and see how it all goes.
96 Super Sport
sport1999 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sport1999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 9:13pm

For those considering upholstery replacement sometime this winter, it might be prudent to get the ball rolling now.

A little bit of planning never hurt anyone.

To the OP, nice work. Having a clean seat back makes all the difference in how a boat looks and feels.
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-28-2016 at 10:34pm
Great job! I did my entire upholstery from Christine's about 4 years ago and still looks great! You will be pleased

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-30-2016 at 6:08pm
All done, piping on and black channel along the bottom re-installed... Looks even better in the boat!!

we pulled the boat just an hour ago, got in 2 runs each before pulling it. I'll wait to winterize it, maybe we can ski next weekend, although the leaks in my drysuit make things pretty chilly...

Next will be taking off the coaming pads and getting the flake that did them to use the right blue. I told him repeatedly to reuse the blue as I didn't have replacement blue material. I just had tan and off white... Again, Christine's comes to the rescue and sold me the correct blue so I can have dunderhead fix them... He does nice work, but screw ups like this made me look at Christine's and I'm VERY GLAD I did!

1964 American Skier
prski View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote prski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:39pm
very nice! did you replace the foam too or just the skin?
paul
Hollywood View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hollywood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:42pm
Besides the blanket what is different about the second picture?

I'm not sure your recommendation of reusing one of the vinyls was practical. Imagine carefully removing the stitching on a pair of jeans and then sewing them back together. You need excess material to pull and align things with, then it gets trimmed off. Without it the process seems infeasible.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:50pm
Just the skin... S'matter of fact, if you look close you can see a small amount of deflection at the seam above the logo where our knees and thighs lean against it every time we get in or out. But it's fairly minor and not something I'll lose any sleep over.

1964 American Skier

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 1:53pm
Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

I'm not sure your recommendation of reusing one of the vinyls was practical. Imagine carefully removing the stitching on a pair of jeans and then sewing them back together. You need excess material to pull and align things with, then it gets trimmed off. Without it the process seems infeasible.

The piping around the entire outer edge is installed and the black channel is actually riveted, not just sitting there.

The blue areas were made smaller than original to accommodate this problem.

1964 American Skier
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October-31-2016 at 3:30pm
just ordered my sample swatches from Christine's. I'll be doing my stern back rest, and my entire observer seat. They said, it would be about 90 days until I get them.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November-01-2016 at 11:30am

Originally posted by Hollywood Hollywood wrote:

The blue areas were made smaller than original to accommodate this problem.

I had the stern seat done locally using this method and beside the fact it wasn't stock, it came out pretty good. Hence the reason to match it with the recycled blue vinyl on the coaming pads. With any luck he'll correct the problem and we won't have to face it again since any other upholstery going in our boat will come from Orlando.

Please don't misunderstand what I'm saying... The locally done stern seat was very acceptable, but it just wasn't a Christine's Nautique Skin.

I must be doing something right... When we pulled the boat just the other day...

"That's a very nice looking boat".
"thank you".
"Is is new?".
"No, it's a 1997".

<with 1300 hours>

1964 American Skier
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 2:46pm
My vinyl arrives from Christine's Marine today. I ended up getting most of the boat vinyl replaced apart from the stern, passenger and bow seat bottoms that I had done last year (not through Christine's which I now regret).

They estimated it would take Christine about 10 hours to do a boat so I am scarred to think how long this will take me. It should be a learning experience and I don't mind if it ends up taking a few months to get it all done.

Anybody who has done this before got an estimate on hour long it took?
96 Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 9:49pm
I would guess that I took most of the aforementioned 10 hours just to do the stern seat. But, I had never done any upholstery work before... Even number 2 will be much faster... Take lots of pics, take apart (and put together) 1 piece at a time. Read Christine's suggestions on the website a few times. But her pneumatic stapler if you can...

1964 American Skier
OldSchoolBlue84 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OldSchoolBlue84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-16-2017 at 11:05pm
Originally posted by Blamey Blamey wrote:

Anybody who has done this before got an estimate on hour long it took?

I have a 84SN2001. Took about a whole weekend with my father & brother in-law. I would say 10-12 hours total. That was for the entire interior including the motor box. That motor box was a real bear! Good luck and take your time.
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 12:30pm

I would guess that I took most of the aforementioned 10 hours just to do the stern seat. But, I had never done any upholstery work before... Even number 2 will be much faster... Take lots of pics, take apart (and put together) 1 piece at a time. Read Christine's suggestions on the website a few times. But her pneumatic stapler if you can...

I have the stern seat back and coaming pads out of the boat and at home. I removed them from the boat before shrink wrapping. I'll start with these over the next month and then once it warms up I'll work on the passenger seat back and small parts (walk through and throttle pads). Driver's seat, bow and motor box will come last. I did get the tools and stapler from Christine's.

I don't mind doing this in pieces even if it's done over the next year. Stern seat back is in the worst condition and where I want to start and then the coming pads and passenger seat back as these all touch and tie into each other.

The original teal vinyl wasn't available anymore and the replacements where more green then the original Vinyl. Since the orignial color wasn't available and I don't love green or teal, I decided to use a little artistic license and went for the blue color that was closest to the original teal in my boat, rather then going for a more green teal. The color I choose is what I would probably get if I was ordering the boat new and I feel is close enough to the exterior stripe color that it won't look out of place. If you look at the pic in my signature you will see that my boat has an unusual coloring as it is mostly a white hull with just a teal accent stripe.

I was originally not going to do the Drivers seat and motor box as they are in decent condition but because I have changed the vinyl color, the interior won't match up until I get all the pieces done. That said I am in no rush to get everything changed out and will take my time and get it done properly. I'd like to do this myself as I can know that any vinyl damage can be repaired with a replacement skin for the damaged part.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 12:37pm
Here are some pics to show the colors. I'll try post some side by sides this weekend to show the color change.

Boat in water

Side of boat

Swatches and original vinyl. Colors look closer then they did in real life.

New vinyl

96 Super Sport
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 12:45pm
One would be well advised to compare new vinyl color samples to the gelcoat in addition to the old vinyl... both surely have changed color slightly since new... the idea being to match the interior and exterior colors (in their current state) as closely as possible. They may not have been a perfect match originally anyways.

Installing upholstery is one of those skills that is not easy to acquire. I have seen many pro jobs that look pretty darn awful. I am fairly handy but am quite certain that my skills would not match my high expectations of how a new interior should look... especially considering how expensive factory skins are. Hopefully you guys have a lot of patience and untapped upholstery skills!
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-17-2017 at 3:59pm
Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

One would be well advised to compare new vinyl color samples to the gelcoat in addition to the old vinyl...

Matching to the gelcoat was recommended by Christine's and is probably the way to go when replacing all your vinyl. I didn't because I didn't like the teal options that were available even if they were a better match to my stripe then the blue I chose. It's my first step to the dark side (resto mod). Next comes the tower and wrap.

Originally posted by TRBenj TRBenj wrote:

Installing upholstery is one of those skills that is not easy to acquire. I have seen many pro jobs that look pretty darn awful. I am fairly handy but am quite certain that my skills would not match my high expectations of how a new interior should look... especially considering how expensive factory skins are. Hopefully you guys have a lot of patience and untapped upholstery skills!

From what I have read, if you take your time and do it methodically even an amateur can get good results. Unfortunately I am not usually that good at either of these things. I do plan to take this one piece at a time. and if I don't do a good job then I will hire a professional. to finish the job and correct my mistakes.
96 Super Sport
Blamey View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blamey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-20-2017 at 10:36pm
So I started on my first piece today. The stern seat back. The foam has a few black spots in it that look like they cod be mold. Has anyone dealt with this before?

Can it be cleaned or does the foam need to be replaced?

Here is a link with some

pics
96 Super Sport

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:30am
my wife is a huge fan of a little bleach in water to remove black from things like carpet and blind seat areas in the boat. seems to work quite well. The other thing I found on my stern seat was a small missing chunk of foam. It was only a divot about an inch long and 1/8 wide but the missing piece correlated to a tear in the vinyl along the top rearmost edge of the seat back. I just glued in a donor piece., Mind you, our boat gets trailered over 3000 miles a year which flaps that stern seat quite a bit.,

1964 American Skier
fgroce View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fgroce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 10:40am
Wow talk about pulling your boat to the lake. That must be a long ride.
FGroce
88 Ski Nautique
For 28 years
Now 2002 Ski Nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-21-2017 at 11:34am
Originally posted by fgroce fgroce wrote:

Wow talk about pulling your boat to the lake. That must be a long ride.

We trailer from NH to FL and back every year in Feb.

1964 American Skier
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-23-2017 at 11:33pm
Can you give me an idea what Christine's charged for the back seat on your '97? I've been dealing with a seat upholsterer for years on my cars. He guaranteed me that he could reproduce and install the vinyl (with the exception of the "Correct Craft" embroiderie) on my '97 for less than Christine's.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wetskier2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 12:53am
Originally posted by 86ER 86ER wrote:

Can you give me an idea what Christine's charged for the back seat on your '97? I've been dealing with a seat upholsterer for years on my cars. He guaranteed me that he could reproduce and install the vinyl (with the exception of the "Correct Craft" embroiderie) on my '97 for less than Christine's.

$399.00

1964 American Skier
86ER View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 86ER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 11:58am
Thanks.
flyweed View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote flyweed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-24-2017 at 5:04pm
I just ordered my stern seat back ($399) and my observer seat bottom ($159) Can't wait to get them

Dan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page   12>
  Share Topic