NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Foam removal

Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
Author
eric lavine View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:16pm
"the things you own will start to own you"
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 7:28pm
Bfn, from the grey forward is rock solid on the 3rd picture, from the grey back the main stringer is the same size as the front, the reason its so wide is that there is foam gla$$ed in next to the main stringer for engine clearance, I have yet to dig into that yet but i know its wet if you notice i poked a hole through the foam on the second picture by the cord on sawz-all. did i mention my water test policy? I test for the entire summer to make sure everythings all right (safety policy) dont worry the that policy doesnt cost anything extra   lol   eric
87BFN owner View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-02-2007 at 8:28pm
scary site to see it all ripped up like that. But I know it will look good when it's done.
sterlingmermaid View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 6:50am
Wire wheel works great I am also on my 9th garbage bag full of foam. Are you replacing the stingers of pouring seacast in the void? Have you cut the whole floor open?
tk
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 6:57am
Do you suggest cutting the air box out in front of the drivers seat to get to the front bulkhead?
tk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 7:52am
Tk, hopefully you have the boat sitting on the trailer supported, as for digging into the airbox, if its rotted, yes. dont pull good teeth and replace with dentures... see whick way im going? I;ll remove all the wet material on the outboard side of the stringers and replace with 3/4 laminated together so i can follow the curves of the inners. if you run into a snag call me 877-369-6693. eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 11:19am
Eric getting ready to go to the mailbox to drop that check in the mail. I made it out to fantastic finish Marine I hope that is what you wanted.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-03-2007 at 9:27pm
When you say 3/4 laminated together, I am not sure I am following you
tk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 10:30am
I may take it and stack it to accomadate the width instead of the foam, it will give structural support and also allow me to attach the uprights for the floor, then gla$$ it all in, go to bfns post i put more pictures up
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-04-2007 at 3:44pm
what do you think about pourable stingers???? When you do the stringers I would love to seepictures to understand better
tkenny@charter.net
tk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-05-2007 at 7:47am
wood has grain and is less likely to crack in half, if anything its a good filler, another good product is called long and strong, it is a waterproof filler with gla$$ strands in it, I'll post pictures every step. the biggest thing is if you try to put it back the way it was you'll aggravate yourself, they slap these things together. I'll lay everything out and chalkline everything with a slight slop inward ....... measure 10 times cut once
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:22pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:23pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:23pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:24pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:25pm
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 5:33pm
BFN, from this point on all the rotted areas are out all the way to the bulkhead near the air box, I'll replace all the plastic pvc with 3' stainless and use true 2x4 rough cut hard wood, for the struts and uprights and floor im using 3/4 marine ply. the total number of rotted wood and saturated foam came too 12 garbage cans... probably 800lbs.
Everything pictured is rock solid, just a little dirty, after all done in the engine compartment I'll use white 2 part epoxy bedliner limiting to 2 coats to avoid build up and we'll go from there.....you still want to sell her for 5 grand?
   Eric
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:32pm
There is several different foams available from different suppliers, the foams range from boyancy foams to structural foams, of coarse the boyant foams are simply for flotation and down the line there is structural in which you could pour it and shape it then gla$$ over it as in the case with the stringers and front floor and compartment on BFN's boat. Do some reading on the foams that are available for a better understanding of thier uses and applications
JMurph View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JMurph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-11-2007 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by eric lavine eric lavine wrote:

.....you still want to sell her for 5 grand?
   Eric

Sold! After you pay Eric of course.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 12:06am
it was for sale for 5k before eric got a hold of it. Now that it's down there and the work is being done. Someone will have to wait to get the key to it when they pry it from my cold dead hands.

I was only going to sell before the work started. Not anymore I made the leap and now I will keep her forever. If I do look at getting another boat, it will be just that. Me getting another boat to sit along side this one.

Eric it looks great so far, were you talking to me about reading up on the foam types? I am going to try to give you a call sometime this week, so we can talk and you can inform me of any choices I going to need to make. Did you get the check I sent you.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 6:21am
Eric, What is the going rate to replace stingers and re fibergla$$ the floor including new foam
tk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 7:41am
to people off the street? or to friends and family?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 7:43am
BFN was reffering to everyone on the foam, cdall me when you get a chance
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-12-2007 at 7:12pm
Eric do you think a set of hitek manifolds would fit under the motor box with out nay mods to it? Would the exhaust hose bend enough to make it to the hi tek outlet? I am thinking so but Just thought I would ask your imput. Looking like you will hear from on wednesday, so far no plans for that day yet.
TRBenj View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TRBenj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 8:03am
Originally posted by 87BFN owner 87BFN owner wrote:

Eric do you think a set of hitek manifolds would fit under the motor box with out nay mods to it? Would the exhaust hose bend enough to make it to the hi tek outlet? I am thinking so but Just thought I would ask your imput. Looking like you will hear from on wednesday, so far no plans for that day yet.

87, I replied to your question in the Hitek thread. When I spoke to Allen a year ago, he a$$ured me that the Hiteks are drop-in replacements for the stock PCM manifolds. They should require no more space, so there should be no problem with the motorbox.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 10:10am
I could widen the compartment if i had to, but like TR said they fit right in place, the motor box is wide along with the extra space next to the stringers,
I laid in the first strut and gla$$ed it in, I forgot how much this sh*t itches.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 87BFN owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 4:10pm
sounds good Eric, your right though, TR say no need for mods so that is good. Sorry about the itching, that's why I hate insulation.

Eric are you still going to gla$$ and seal the marine plywood? Bet it was nice not having to do the main stringers.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-13-2007 at 7:24pm
I had to dig all the wet foam out next to the stringers but the wood itself is solid, its just about dry, I also dug up some cracked areas and found more water and some rotted wood, I have to gla$$ down the sides of the stringers also. yes, gla$$ing the marine plywood.
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sterlingmermaid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 6:56am
What year is the boat you are working on? I see you have fibergla$$ support from side to side every so many feet that appear to have been gla$$ed in between the stringers. Were the stringers one piece front to back? My 85 doesn't have that. Is that the newer design. Any new pictures?
tk
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eric lavine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February-14-2007 at 9:16am
Tk, where are you buying all of your materials? gotta couple good places if you have interest, how much are you paying per gallon of resin?
I'll have some more pics soon, the stringers are not one piece, the 2 in the back tie into 3 right by the drivers seat and the struts tie them in
 Post Reply Post Reply Page    <1234 7>
  Share Topic