Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

distributor issues

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: distributor issues
    Posted: March-29-2018 at 6:19pm
Hello, just joined today, been a long time lurker though.I have a problem that has me baffled right now.
I have a 302 with a Prestolite distributor that ran good with points in it. I decided to put a Pertronix conversion in it so leaving the distributor installed in the boat so as not to affect the timing, I took out the points plate, then removed the points cam and the attached plate that seems to be a limiter for how far the weights can travel. This was due to the weights and springs being really ugly and rusty looking. Soaked them cleaned them up and reinstalled everything.
Put in the Pertronix and it wouldn't start but had plenty of spark. Having read various peoples comments about Pertronix, I assumed it must be bad and reinstalled the points only to have the same issue of good spark but no start.
Tried a small shot of starter fluid and nothing but a backfire out the carb.
It seems as though the timing is off by a lot but it shouldn't have changed since the distributor was never moved.
I don't have much experience with a Prestolite distributor so my question is what could I have done to cause this? Or why would this happen?
Thanks for any help I can get.
SNobsessed View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SNobsessed Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2018 at 8:01pm
Did you get the weight pins back into the plate slots?

Also make sure the rotor shaft moves with the weight throw.
“Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.”

Ben Franklin
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2018 at 10:45pm
Hi Cyclone

When you took the points cam and the slotted plate off to remove the weights and spring did you note the way it was installed and put it back oriented the same way?

If you put it back the same way the timing should not have changed.

On these Prestolite's it can be put back together 180 degrees out real easily if you don't pay attention.

If that's the case your timing will be 180 degrees off and the thing ain't gonna run if you empty a whole can of starting fluid into it.

You mention a backfire out the carburetor so I'll guess this is your problem.

You can put the engine at TDC with #1 cylinder on the compression stroke and see if the rotor is pointing at the #1 plug wire terminal or if it's pointing at #6 instead.

If it's ponting at #6, then you know your problem.

To fix it, just remove the cam and slotted plate assembly and rotate it 180 degrees and reinstall it making sure the pins fit in the slots again, then you'll be firing #1 when it's supposed to be firing on the compression stroke and the engine should make some familiar running noises.

Here's a fairly ugly picture of the cam and plate and since the rotor only fits one way due to the flat on the shaft, you can see that lifting that off of the weights and turning it 180 degrees will aim the rotor 180 degrees different also.

I'd start it up with the points setup since they were working before you had the problem and assuming it works, then swap to the Pertronix unit after that

Oh almost forgot, isn't it  fun with that little clip that holds the cam and plate on the shaft   

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-29-2018 at 11:08pm
Ah yes. That little clip that holds the rotor on the shaft. If you are over 50 bring your reader glasses with you!
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 2:03am
Keno Thanks for the information or maybe I should say Thanks very much for figuring this out. After reading your post I realized that I just stuck the cam and plate back on without thinking about any orientation so I had a 50 percent chance of getting it right..
I went out to the garage and sure enough after getting the engine to TDC with cylinder 1 on it's compression stroke the Rotor was pointing to clylinder 6's terminal.
Feeling kinda dumb and happy at the same time I swapped it around and tried a start with the points installed and it fired right up
Only ran it for a second or 2 since I had no water hooked up to it.
Tomorrow I'll pull it outside and hook a hose up to it and run it, then put the Pertronix kit back in and see how things are.
Once again Thanks for the explanation and yes that little clip is no fun at all.Hard way to learn something about these distributors
Darrell
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 11:01am
Nicely done Ken. I have come to really appreciate your input on all matters engine. Fortunately, knock on fiberglass or soft mushy stringer wood, I have not needed any of it (yet) but your help to folks is not going un-noticed.
samudj01 View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote samudj01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 11:06am
Agreed...makes me remember last May when Ken came to our rescue regarding our distributor. It was, and is still, much appreciated! As is the help from all others on this site.
78 Ski Tique, 72 Skier w/302's, 93 SN w/351 & 17 GS22 w/zr409
Previous - 99 Sport Nautique w/GT40 and 87 Martinique w/351
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 11:15am
Iv never had an issue with pertronix as some have. I can only say that I installed mine on prior engines properly and they worked perfect for years and years.    Put the module back in and check timing and away you go.    Recommended that you use proper coil and bypass the ballast resistor.   
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 1:40pm

After a little work this morning the boat has the Pertronix installed per their instructions and everything is good and I'm a little smarter now
Thanks again Darrell

fanofccfan View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fanofccfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 5:17pm
I will second the "three cheers for Ken"! He also helped me with my ignition problems.
2004 196 LE Ski 1969 Marauder 19 1978 Ski
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March-30-2018 at 5:38pm
All right..............enough of the cheers or whatever.

It just comes with experience

And experience is directly proportional to the number of things you screw up

So................... I have quite a bit of experience

And I did the same thing Darrell did a number of years ago

You gotta admit Darrell gave a good description of his problem instead of whining that he put in a Pertronix unit and it totally screwed things up. Nothing at all to do with the Pertronix.

And by the way Darrell, good job on the description and the fix.
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-10-2018 at 9:20pm
Hello More issues but with a different distributor this time. I bought a Mallory for a 351w at a garage sale this weekend. It's tag says it's a YS554AV and 2 days of searching the net hasn't gotten any good info.
Does anybody know anything about these things
All I know is it's a marine distributor but can't find out what to use for tuneup parts or an electronic kit. I only paid ten dollars and it looks pretty new but there are parts missing.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 10:46am
I know a little bit about that distributor.

I have one and you're right there's not much info out there.

It came along after the YL series and the biggest difference was the mechanical advance flyweights and springs. The weights and springs are a lot lighter and it's really hard to find any of those parts even used, because they weren't made for a whole bunch of years like the YL series was.. It was replaced pretty quickly it seems by the YH series with a better advance mechanism according to the Mallory people.

To me they're hard to work on as far as the weights and springs go but the rest is like a YL as far as tuneup parts and for electronic conversions like a Pertronix Ignitor.,

I don't think you'll find the YS 554 listed in anybody's catalog these days but I have a Pertronix unit in the one I have, it's an Ignitor ML-181 (or the 9ML-181 Ignitor 2 also fits)

Any other questions, ask away
Cyclone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyclone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 9:31pm
Thanks Ken I guess I'll be getting a Pertronix and I should be good.
The missing parts are all points related the whole plate is gone..
Darrell
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-11-2018 at 10:06pm
Good luck with it

Keep the advance mechanism clean and it should treat you well.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic