Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Universal Sabre

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Universal Sabre
    Posted: April-01-2018 at 11:37am

Any one have any info on transmission used in 65
I have 65 America Skier with a Sabre 198 and changing it out and installing
A super Sabre 225. The bell house doesn’t line up.
Would like to use the same transmission if I can
Find the right bell housing. Any info or help would be appreciated
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 12:41pm
Transmission is a 1:1 Velvet Drive AS1-70C. Was the 225 you are using in an inboard boat? Curious what transmission it was mated to before. While the 2 engines don't have much in common, I figured they were both mated to 70C's. Maybe I'm wrong.

What's the reason for the engine swap?
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 2:18pm
The 198 spun a bearing. So figured the 225 was the next best thing.
The 225 is out of a inboard our board, it’s a Volvo pent
1965. The bell house is close. I would assume that that same transmission was on the super Sabre 225 with the correct bell housing.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 7:36pm
Bryan,
It sounds like you got caught in the Buick redesign when they went to the 225 block. Both engines used the Velvet drive 70c's which bolted up to I believe a SAE #3 bolt pattern bell housing. You may end up having to get a complete 225 engine to get the housing. Be patient and do some searching for used take out's from re powers.

Welcome to CCfan. How about some pictures of the 65? We'd love to see what you're working on. Does it have a port side helm?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 8:13pm
My grandfather bought this boat new in 1965. I’ve
Been trying to keep it with the 198, but have been looking for several years
And haven’t had much luck. Hopefully we can find
A donor boat. I started skiing on this boat when I was there
Years old, would love to get it going again.
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 8:21pm
What would be your Suggestion where to look for these parts?
Still learning how to put pictures on
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 9:09pm
This may be rather silly of me to ask, but why not rebuild the original engine?

A spun bearing isn't the end of the world unless you spun pieces parts right out of the block
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 9:26pm
I would love to but have not been able to find bearings or any other rebuild parts, like gaskets etc.
If you have any suggestions of where I may find these parts it would be appreciated.
Thanks
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 9:34pm
The place in the link lists quite a few 198 Buick parts and with a name like Old Buick Parts they should be able to help hopefully.

I've never dealt with them, just dug them up on a Google search.

A phone call would probably get any questions on availability answered.

link
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-01-2018 at 9:34pm
And yes it has a port side helm, along with a forward reverse shifter and foot throttle, love to show pictures but real not sure how.
MartyMabe View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MartyMabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 9:18am
Bell housings don't interchange .

Buick V-6
66 Skylark
93 SN
If you're not living in NC, you're just camping out!
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 10:12am
It separate from the transmission, I would think that they would be interchangeable.
Did they use the same velvet drive transmission for all the boats of those years such as the interceptor motor the Chrysler the universal. Just curious just trying to understand a way to make this work that’s all. Any information is very helpful
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:37am
Bryan,
The way to make it work is, as mentioned, get a bell housing to match the 225 with a SAE to match the trans or, as Ken mentioned rebuild the original engine.

As Marty mentions, bell housings do not interchange on different blocks.

The B/W Velvet drive was the most popular trans but there were others like Paragon and even the Dearbomatic made by Ford.

For pictures, click the full reply icon (diagonal arrow in box) above or go to "post" reply and not the "quick". Then click on the tree icon with the up arrow.

BTW, for parts, maybe the difficulty you are having finding them is because you've been looking for Universal engine parts?? Keep in mind, Universal just bolted on marine parts to an automotive engine so, take Kens's suggestion.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 11:47am
Great information, thanks a lot. I will start looking
For rebuild parts, and get some pictures out as soon
As I get a chance. If I decide to stay with the 225, where
Would be a good place to look for a transmission?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 12:24pm
Originally posted by B4nier B4nier wrote:

If I decide to stay with the 225, where
Would be a good place to look for a transmission?

I thought you wanted to use the trans you have??
Originally posted by B4nier B4nier wrote:

Would like to use the same transmission if I can

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
B4nier View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote B4nier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:18pm
I guess I’m confused I keep getting told that the bell housings are interchangeable from the transmission is what I understood. But I guess I’m not understanding it right
63 Skier View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 63 Skier Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:24pm
Bryan, there is a bellhousing that fits a Buick 225 and also fits a BW Velvet 70C. In your case you have a bellhousing that fits the 225 but is made to bolt up to your I/O. So, you can look for the bellhousing that can let you use the 225 and your current tranny, or you can rebuild the 198. Once you see if the bh is even available, and if so what it costs, you'll be able to decide pretty easily I think.
'63 American Skier - '98 Sport Nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-02-2018 at 1:31pm
Bryan,
The B/W 70 bolts up to a bell housing with the SAE trans flange but you need the bell housing to match the 225 engine you have.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic