NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Timing light

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Timing light
    Posted: April-26-2018 at 8:53pm
It occurred to me today that when my engine gets here in a week or two things should go fairly rapidly and I'll have it in the boat and ready to do the first start-up and initial tune within a few days thereafter (hopefully). Time to rummage through the storage facility and get out my old timing light ... that I haven't used, or even seen in 25 years??
So after an hour or so going shelf by shelf, one tool box and bin after another I find nothing. Lent it to someone? Someone with sticky fingers? Did I just give it away since I haven't used it for anything since .... forever - everything has been electronic.   Who knows. Point is now I need a new one.   

Being out of that type of tuning for so long, I haven't a clue what may be considered to be an industry standard these days. So what would be a good choice for a 'home shop' tool? Cost isn't an issue really, but keep in mind I'd only be using this for this one application a few times before it goes on the shelf again so I'm not specifically looking for a high end professional tool either.

Thanks in advance!
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-26-2018 at 9:17pm
This is what I use. Has advance and also tach. Love it.    I can get you the pt # if needed. Sure others have choices too

edit:   Innova brand   e-bay
INNOVA 3568 Digital Timing Light
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:25am
Thanks Duane! And yes, a part # would be nice.

Edit:   Just noticed your edit with the part # and brand, Thanks
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
throttle out View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote throttle out Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 9:20am
Bet you could just "rent"one from Autozone or the like. Given the fact the she'll probably do another 25 years worth of sitting when your done with your install I'd have a hard time spending the $$.
1989 Ski Nautique 2001 351 PCM w/ 1-1.23
baitkiller View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote baitkiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 9:33am
harbor freight has an advance light for $28
Jesus was a bare-footer.............
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 10:38am
That's pretty darn cool -- having total advance on there. How does the unit measure advance that it can quantify like that? My all chrome 70s Craftsman works great but I'm jealous.
1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:49am
Originally posted by baitkiller baitkiller wrote:

harbor freight has an advance light for $28

Get what you pay for.   I buy HB tools knowing that they are prone to breakage and they usually do.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 11:53am
Originally posted by WinterTurtle WinterTurtle wrote:

That's pretty darn cool -- having total advance on there. How does the unit measure advance that it can quantify like that? My all chrome 70s Craftsman works great but I'm jealous.

All I know is that you mark TDC on balancer.   Dial in the advance you want on the light and then set distributor to TDC   (engine running) and the light compensates for whatever you set it for.
As long as it flashes on TDC then you are set to whatever you dialed in on the light
Tach is handy too.
        1978 Mustang (modified)
scootdogydog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scootdogydog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:17pm
I have the same light. I really like it. After it fell into the water, I let it dry out completely, and it worked. That being said, it is very handy for setting idle rpm when the tach is questionable (or for testing the tach)
1999 Python
1980 Ski Tique
1968 Mustang WIP
81nautique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 81nautique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:27pm

Ha, I just cleaned my garage and found my 70's chrome Craftsman light, I almost threw it out but just couldn't. I bought the Innova light Duane shows last year and it is a very nice unit.
shierh View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shierh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 12:32pm
Got mine on Amazon, same thing. On second one. other one quit for some reason, it was over 10 yrs old .
WinterTurtle View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WinterTurtle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

Ha, I just cleaned my garage and found my 70's chrome Craftsman light, I almost threw it out but just couldn't. I bought the Innova light Duane shows last year and it is a very nice unit.

I'll keep mine forever too. I've got a soft spot for vintage tools. A buddy just gave this to me at work the other day. Said it'd been in his garage as long as he could remember. I was thrilled for days! Just need to learn how to use most of its functions!

1979 Southwind 18 351w

Not Running - All Potential!
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 1:08pm

Originally posted by 81nautique 81nautique wrote:

I'll keep mine forever too. I've got a soft spot for vintage tools. A buddy just gave this to me at work the other day. Said it'd been in his garage as long as he could remember. I was thrilled for days! Just need to learn how to use most of its functions!

Sounds like you need one of these!!

1978 Mustang (modified)
gt40KS View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gt40KS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-27-2018 at 2:43pm
It seems everyone has, or has had a 70's chrome Craftsman light - Funny thing, that is the exact model that I had that has disappeared!   
JCCI
1995 Ski Nautique GT40
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic