NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Fussy boat this spring

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fussy boat this spring
    Posted: May-27-2018 at 3:10pm
My boat is being fussy this spring. Runs good - runs like crap - runs good - runs like crap. Usually to pull it out of a runs like crap phase, I check ignition specs, specifically timing and dwell, get it running good, then next time out runs like crap. I will set the dwell at high 20s which I did last time I had to fuss with it. Now its running rough (which is better than dying and leaving me stranded, which it did the other night). Now its running a little rough again. Check dwell, up to like 45. I havent pushed it back down yet, but why would it drift so easily in such short time. Look how cruddy my cam is. Its only two years old, I've never seen a cam get cruddy like that. Do you think it is eroding the points contact pad? I can polish up the cap and lube it (something, I admittedly never did, could that be a factor?) Boat ran great all last summer (second year of new dist. Let me know your thoughts before I order an e-spark module for it. (ran one of those for about 7 years with now troubles)

There is no split/tooth washer under the gap set screw. Should there be? It is possible gap is actually sliding out of spec?

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 3:28pm
Hi Larry

Those points contacts look to be misaligned by about a country mile and the rubbing block is worn at a funny angle too. It also looks like you're out of room to adjust them anymore to keep the gap/dwell right

The rusty cam is not helping things at all either

At least if you get an E Spark the cam will be removed completely as part of installing the E Spark kit and you won't have to worry about point alignment.

I'm sure Pete will be along with some pointers to point you in the right direction as far as your points go

I'd look for some genuine NOS Mallory points if you decide to stick with the points because that angular wear on the rubbing block looks like an issue with how the points were made. They usually wear at a 90 degree angle.
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 5:54pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

Hi Larry
I'd look for some genuine NOS Mallory points .
Ken,
Really NOS?? Last week I was just in NAPA and they had all the Echlin tune up parts for a 1949 Prestolite. on the shelf!!

Larry,
I agree with Ken that you should ether convert to EI our find a point set.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 6:02pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

Hi Larry
I'd look for some genuine NOS Mallory points .
Ken,
Really NOS?? Last week I was just in NAPA and they had all the Echlin tune up parts for a 1949 Prestolite. on the shelf!!

Larry,
I agree with Ken that you should ether convert to EI our find a point set.

So Pete

Do those Prestolite parts fit a Mallory distributor. ?   Nope but they probably have Mallory stuff too. Didn't you buy some Sierra stuff for you Mallory from NAPA?

You can still find NOS Mallory too.

They're from back when you were young, men were men and points were well built (and I was young too)

Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 6:32pm

So Pete

Do those Prestolite parts fit a Mallory distributor. ?   Nope but they probably have Mallory stuff too. Didn't you buy some Sierra stuff for you Mallory from NAPA?

You can still find NOS Mallory too.

Ken,
I mentioned the Echlin/Prestolite parts only from the ease of finding them and certainly did not expect them to fit a Mallory.

Yes, I did end up with a Sierra kit back a few years but only because I walked into a auto parts store blind without and part numbers or even a part number of my distributor on the 312. Plus, I didn't even have an internet connection up here then.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-27-2018 at 7:06pm
I bought a set from NAPA for a Prestolite and didn't even make it out of my canal before they failed,I suspect the condenser. Went back and bought a second set and all has been well now for 2 seasons. Even though Echlin is on the box they are all made off shore now,buy an extra set to be safe.
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 8:27am
That rusty cam is killing me, how could the point gap possibly stay the same
Take it apart and clean that thing up, it should be lightly greased not lightly rusty.   Theb it looks like half of the contact is gone. None of this maybe causing the problem but its causing me stress from here.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
NCH20SKIER View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NCH20SKIER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 10:48am
Today's weather will / should provide you the opportunity to fuss with this.

Serves you right for all that cosmetic work you did to the engine............
'05 206 Limited
'88 BFN
75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 11:47am
My thougths exactly joe. I've never seen a cam like that. I thought they were stainless and stayed clean forever. And note Kens comment about misalignment. I had another Sierra point set in my emergency response kit I went to put in yesterday. First, I could not even mount them so that they opened and closed. The hole for the set screw did not set them close enough to the cam. So I cut out the end and got it to slide closer to the cam. Now it opens and closes but the two surfaces were not flat against each other, barely touching on the edge. So I bent them to lie flat. Set a reasonable gap. Tried to set dwell. No contact. Even when they were in contact, there was not contact as verified with my VOM. Crazy. Oh, I didnt mention. This point set was the same part number as the one I took off and they did not match in appearance.

That was a long story to get around to say, I'm sure points systems are just fine and can last and work forever, the problem is, these days, they make them out of junk overseas and they are no good. I was warned about that when I didnt buy an electronic replacement 2 summers ago. I was told since no one gets these any more, mallory, or now, Sierra,, invests nothing in them any more and just sells the junk. I have some legit Mallory points coming. We will see how that goes. If this recurs I think I will go espark. I wonder if the old espark out of my crab cap will fit. I know Id need a new rotor but the actual unit might work. Any thoughts on that. Problem is knowing the number or finding the right rotor on its own.
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 9:31pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

. If this recurs I think I will go espark. I wonder if the old espark out of my crab cap will fit. I know Id need a new rotor but the actual unit might work. Any thoughts on that. Problem is knowing the number or finding the right rotor on its own.

Larry

The plate and e spark unit from your old crab cap distributor will bolt right in to your newer Mallory

The rotor/shutter wheel assembly to make this work with the regular cap on the new distributor is a Mallory 335.

You probably remember pulling the points cam off of the crab cap distributor to do the conversion, you'll have to do the same thing to the newer one if you decide you're ditching the points.

Since you said you have some genuine Mallory points on the way though, I think they'll work out OK for you but you have a relatively cheap backup plan too. You can find the 335 rotor on Ebay at a variety of prices but around 20 bucks is common.

Make Pete proud with them points

75 Tique View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 75 Tique Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 10:09pm
Thanks for that tip, Ken. You all know me, I'd much rather spend $14.94 than $81.73. In the mean time, I plan to do Pete proud.
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May-28-2018 at 11:09pm
Originally posted by 75 Tique 75 Tique wrote:

Thanks for that tip, Ken. You all know me, I'd much rather spend $14.94 than $81.73. In the mean time, I plan to do Pete proud.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic