Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Rear main seal

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
mjgha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjgha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rear main seal
    Posted: June-02-2018 at 7:55am
Hello everything! Hope some can give me some good feedback and hope for the best this aint gonna be 2 expensive!

I have removed the gear box to get to the rear main seal. Normally you can easily remove the old seal and replace it. I've posted some photo's, Is there any way to change the seal without opening the block from under? 

mjgha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjgha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 7:57am
Btw its a SN CC 95 with a gt40 small block
juniorwoody View Drop Down
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote juniorwoody Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 8:03am
I think she needs to come out. Pull the pan to replace the seal. Sorry.
The value of money spent on new adventure far exceeds the value of money saved for the future
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 8:21am
Ethan,
I agree that the engine needs to come out and the oil pan removed. Do you know if the engine rotation is original and what is the rotation? Looking at the trans end, does it rotate clockwise or counter clockwise? It may make a difference as to what seal is used.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
mjgha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjgha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 8:29am
The engine rotates counter clockwise! would you have any idea what type of seal has to go in? normally for these types of engines its quite an easy job and wouldnt have to take out the block...

normally this would be the seal

http://www.skidim.com/SEAL-REAR-MAIN-351-LH-1PC-1983-ON/productinfo/R047042A/

KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 8:44am
Originally posted by mjgha mjgha wrote:

The engine rotates counter clockwise! would you have any idea what type of seal has to go in? normally for these types of engines its quite an easy job and wouldnt have to take out the block...

normally this would be the seal

http://www.skidim.com/SEAL-REAR-MAIN-351-LH-1PC-1983-ON/productinfo/R047042A/

A 95 351w takes a 1 piece rear main seal however...................your picture is of an older block with a 2 piece rear main seal.

If it was a one piece, you'd be able to easily see the seal in your pictures but you can't.

The 2 piece seal can't be seen from the outside.

It seems like your engine was changed at some point in time.
Duane in Indy View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Duane in Indy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 9:18am
You will need to drop the pan far enough to remove the rear main bearing cap. Then you may be able to roll the top seal out. Roll a new one in and replace the half in the cap. Torque the cap and reinstall the pan. Acetone the pan rails and use red silicone to seal.
Good luck. If clearance permits then it can be done.
My Mustang 17 would require pulling the engine or at least raising it up.
Keep it as original as YOU want it
        1978 Mustang (modified)
mjgha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjgha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 9:24am
Oke thank you all, I think I have enough information. Ill pop in a engine lift in the boat. Remove the pan and change the seal! Just done some research on two part seals... should easily be doable! (first attempt at this tho, ill be careful with any scratching) Just gotta wait on oilpan packing and Rear main seal.
mjgha View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mjgha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June-02-2018 at 9:50am
While the oil pan is removed, are there any other parts i should change as its removed anyway?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic