NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

93 Excel Tranny Issue

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 93 Excel Tranny Issue
    Posted: August-04-2018 at 11:54pm
Been a while since I posted for issues with my boat which is a good thing.

Got to surf for a bit but then when I did a stop and restart and put into gear it just rev'd.

Got a tow home then change the stuffing nut and tried again and the same thing happend, put into gear and didn't go anywhere.

Do I need a rebuild on the Walters Drive tranny?

Thanks
93 CC Nautique Excel CB 351 GT40
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-07-2018 at 11:59am
Does anyone know the Walters Independent Vdrive model number and ratio for this 93 Excel with 351 GT40?
http://daccodetroit.com/Walters/walters%20page%202.htm
rolleronariver View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:42pm
Is it trying to shift into gear? If not, you might check your linkage on your shifter cable. It might not be shifting into gear due to a broke cable. That would be an easy fix.
92 Sport nautique

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:47pm
Also, make sure prop is properly seated on your shaft and not just spinning. If you can see your carter pin then that can be a good indication.
92 Sport nautique
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by rolleronariver rolleronariver wrote:

If you can see your carter pin then that can be a good indication.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

If you can see your carter pin then that can be a good indication.

What I meant by that was that I hit something in our boat last summer. I knew something was bad wrong after I hit it and the boat wouldn't go. We got back and got it loaded and you could tell the prop got knocked off the seat and the carter pin was shredded as the prop became unseated and spun over it. I wish I had pics, A new prop, shaft alignment check and a new pin all seated properly and we were good to go.
92 Sport nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 8:09pm
Cotter pin shredded or was it the key?

Cotter pin:

Key stock:

I have a feeling the prop was never lapped properly to the shaft. Was it?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rolleronariver Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 8:59pm
I meant key stock. Sorry. It’s been a long day and I’m still at the office but no, I seriously doubt that it was lapped properly from the previous owner. But it is now!
92 Sport nautique
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-08-2018 at 10:07pm

I seriously doubt that it was lapped properly from the previous owner. But it is now!

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-10-2018 at 9:18am
My boat is at "The Boat Shop" at Lake Anna and he thinks that it might be the DAMPER DRIVE PLATE (302/351), WARNER GEAR VELVET DRIVE 1:1 & 1.52:1, PCM # R140001 (thanks Townsend from NP...I bought it yesterday and he overnighted it to the shop) but he is going to pull the Vdrive/Trans to check them.

Crossing my fingers its just this damper drive plate and nothing else..
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 9:47am
Well good news, it was the damper drive plate, here are pictures of the old triangular one and the carnage, yikes. Good thing I didn't stopped immediately before I damaged something else.

Thanks to Rob/Andy at The Boat Shop in Lake Anna, VA.

OLD

NEW

Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 10:51am
Trying to figure out cost, does anyone one know about how many hours it takes to take out the tranny/Vdrive transmission?

4.5 hours taking out and 4.5 hours putting back in sound right to you guys?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-17-2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by Cheiz Cheiz wrote:

DAMPER DRIVE PLATE (302/351), WARNER GEAR VELVET DRIVE 1:1 & 1.52:1, PCM # R140001 (thanks Townsend from NP.....

$211.40!!

$100 from Ebasic power Plus this plate is a Sachs!!

Originally posted by Cheiz Cheiz wrote:

Trying to figure out cost, does anyone one know about how many hours it takes to take out the tranny/Vdrive transmission?

4.5 hours taking out and 4.5 hours putting back in sound right to you guys?

The out hours seems high but the in considering an alignment is about right for a marina.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Cheiz View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cheiz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 9:46am
Thanks 8122pbrainard....wish I would have new that sooner on the Flex Plate, well at least it's a PCM part.

I thought so too on the hours but it looks like they pulled the Vdrive/transmission all together, here is the invoice, let me know what you think.

Gary S View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary S Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 10:43am
I'm curious since I never have had anyone else work on my boats, but is there a "book" time like automotive work vs actual time?
And another question,does an Excel use a PCM trans? I thought a PCM has a different spline count so the above damper would not fit?
69 Mustang HM SS
95 Nautique Super Sport
phatsat67 View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote phatsat67 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 11:45am
There is (warranty) book time from the MFG which is usually a little light.

All Excel V drives used a Borg Warner trans.
woodyelc View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote woodyelc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 2:37pm
If the Tech took that long I would fire him for sleeping on the job.
woodyelc
Fl Inboards View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fl Inboards Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 4:19pm
@woodyelc
Are ya sure about that buddy boy!! 30 year old boat! lots of cans of worms on that one!!
under the greatest conditions a 7 hour job when you include the water test..
Hobby Boats can be expensive when the hobbyist is limited on their own skill and expertise.

1993 Shamrock "fat" 20. 2008 Nautique 196 5.0
JoeinNY View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeinNY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 4:27pm
Let me get my popcorn here... I am a hobbyist so I cannot play, except to say the one time I did an excel Vdrive R&R - I thought it was considerably more of a pia than a direct drive.
1983 Ski Nautique 2001
1967 Mustang 302 "Decoy"
Holeshot Video
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-22-2018 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by JoeinNY JoeinNY wrote:

Let me get my popcorn here... - I thought it was considerably more of a pia than a direct drive.

Originally posted by 8122pbrainard 8122pbrainard wrote:

The out hours seems high but the in considering an alignment

I've got the Orville popping!

Woody,
When was the last time you crawled in, under and over one of them back there to do an alignment?

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic