Forums
NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Dui help

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dui help
    Posted: August-18-2018 at 1:43pm
So I got the dui distributor about 2 years ago and installed it using jpass protec ignition swap instructions. Went great and have had no problems the past 2 years till a few weeks ago when I couldn't get the engine to start. Crank and crank and no start, 10 min later fires up no problem.

This has happened a few times since then, just give it 10-30 min and it will start no problem. But now it won't start at all.

So my question is: the dui website says WARNING: If the hot wire is connected to the “TACH” terminal, damage to the module and/or coil can occur. And jpass instruction also says verify no volts to the tach wire.

I have about 6 volts to my tach wire. If I go all the way back to the wire harness plug post 34 I have no volts with it unplugged, but plug it in and i now have 6 again.

Did I damage the dui? Will it not run with 6 volts to tach?

I have also 11 volts to dui power.
Jonny Quest View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 2:24pm
What is the 12V source for the DUI power feed?
Current
2003 Ski Nautique 206 Limited

Previous
2001 Ski Nautique Open Bow
1994 Ski Nautique Open Bow

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 2:56pm
Originally posted by Jonny Quest Jonny Quest wrote:

Now this brings back some "I" terminal memories JQ

And for Camron, I don't see any mention of whether you have spark or not when it doesn't start

Is your 11 volts being measured while the engine is being cranked by the starter?

Or is it just with the key in the RUN position?
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 3:47pm
No spark

11.6 volts on run and 11.3-11 cranking
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 3:51pm
I also replaced the starter sominiod a few weeks ago after tbis problem started because i was sometimes getting nust a "click" when I turned the key.

I tested everything the dui website said I could on the coil and i took the control modual to get tested. AutoZone said it passes but the guy had no idea what he was doing. So i took it to orileys and they said it failed. Will another brand modal work the same? Or should i get the same "dyna mod"? Do you guys think the 6 volts I'm getting to the tach is what fryed this one?
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 5:03pm
As KENO mentioned, I would check for spark. Lisle makes a spark tester for under $15 that can be purchased from many auto parts retailers. I would check for spark at each plug wire while cranking.

From DUI website: "Your hot wire for the DUI must be at least 12 gauge and it can be connected to the starter solenoid or a fuse. The solenoid is usually the easiest place to connect your hot wire to but make sure you use the terminal that is hot only when the key switch is in the start and run position. Same with using a fuse, just make sure the voltage is present only in the start and run position. In most applications, we do not recommend using the existing ignition hot wire. It may be too small or a resisted wire thus reducing the voltage."

Also from DUI: "If all of your connections check out good, then check your battery voltage as you are cranking the engine. Since the DUI is a high performance ignition system it requires more voltage than a standard ignition system. If your battery voltage drops below 10.5 volts, this is not enough power to get the distributor to fire. This condition can be due to a weak or old battery or you are using a hot wire that has a resistor in line. Use a volt meter to test the hot wire while someone else cranks the engine over. If the voltage drops below 10.5, check your battery. To make sure it is not the hot wire, run a temporary jumper wire directly from the positive side of the battery to the distributor. If the distributor fires using the jumper wire, run a new hot wire from your switched 12 volt source to the distributor.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonny Quest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'll steer clear of that mine-field.

JQ
Current

Previous

Aqua skiing, ergo sum
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 6:06pm

Originally posted by KENO KENO wrote:

I'll steer clear of that mine-field.

JQ

Me too
KENO View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KENO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-18-2018 at 6:19pm
For Camron

When the engine is running, the coil signal to the tachis a varying voltage from 0 to 12ish and the tach is reading RPM by basically counting these pulses.

You've had this running for 2 years without a problem till now, so I doubt it has anything to do with your wiring.

A bad tach can screw up your spark so I'd unhook the tach and try to start it. It free and easy to do.

Any GM HEI distributor parts from an autoparts store will work in the DUI distributor and the same goes for the coil.

They may be of lesser quality/performance according to DUI but they'll make it run.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 11:54am

camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 11:56am
as you can see from the pic it looks like where the "C" goes in melted the plastic on the Wiring Harness & Capacitor. im trying to call DUI to ask if the 6 volts from the tach could cause something like this to happen or if it is normal.
camron18 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote camron18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 12:13pm
So DUI is going to send me a new wire harness and capacitor and a new Ignition module. they said to not worry about the 6 volts to the tach and, that leaving the key on for a long amount of time without running it can burn up the ignition module.
MrMcD View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MrMcD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August-20-2018 at 3:03pm
Sounds like you may have been enjoying your music while resting on the water?
Glad you got it figured out.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic