NautiqueParts.comCalendar Photo Submission
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chanking oil

Post Reply Post Reply   
Author
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chanking oil
    Posted: April-07-2019 at 12:04am
OK, I hate being stupid, but how do I get the old oil out of my 1961 compact skier with a 100 hp intecepter 6 cly engine? The filter is obvious but I dont think there can be a drain plug under the pan due to clearance. The dip stick tube would be to tiny to get a hose down to bottom of pan to suck it out.
Back in the days gone bye, I had a boat that used common oil as the engine and had to pull the cover off of tranny and suck the oil out. I am HOPING this one is not the same.
We get the carb and fuel pump back this next week and I want to get it started for the first time in 10 years. I just feel better with fresh oil in my own narrow way of thinking.
Thanks
T
Thomasn
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 12:53am
Tom,
Yes, the engine and trans share oil. You will need to suck some of the oil out via the dip stick hole first. Most vacuum oil extractors come with several sizes of tubing and the smallest should fit. Then you can pull the trans inspection plate to suck the rest out. If you don't pull some out of the engine first, you may end up with a pretty big mess since as the engine sits, the normal oil level is higher than the trans inspection cover.

Don't forget to use some oil with decent ZDDP levels in it.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 2:22am
I was hoping you would respond, thank you. I have a buddy with one of those suckers and will borrow it. Thanks for the heads up on the tranney. As I recall, I had to make a gasket for the tranny cover. been about 10-13 years ago.
Thanks
T
Thomasn
8122pbrainard View Drop Down
Grand Poobah
Grand Poobah

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 8122pbrainard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 9:42am
Tom,
The trans cover gasket should not have any gasket compound on it "gluing" it to the case and cover. A cork gasket will seal without it. If you had to make one at one time then someone used a compound on both surfaces.

54 Atom

77 Tique

64 X55 Dunphy

Keep it original, Pete
<
Thomasn View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thomasn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April-07-2019 at 10:56am
And that is exactly the way it was. But I did clean it up and made a gasket from sheet gasket material I keep in the shop. Any idea how many gallons of oil it will take? Just looking at the size of the pan I figure to buy 8 qts and fill with 4 and then use dip stick to check the progress
The oil that is in it now is clean but at least 10 years old.
Thanks
T
Thomasn
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic